Guest turned freezer OFF, everything thawed, leaking

did you get the review already?

I’m glad this worked out well, but why did you text the guest instead of using the AirBnB messenger app?

Yes, to wit:
“We could not be happier with our choice to stay at K’s place. It’s a charming place, super clean and spacious. We appreciate her hospitality.”

I had thanked her privately for her willingness to meet me halfway and assured her I would write her a positive review. She said the same. Of course she could have trashed me anyway, but that goes both ways. I figured I’d err on the side of optimism.

2 Likes

I was uncertain of that myself and had hoped this thread would touch on the pros and cons of each (it didn’t ever get there). Since she was new to airbnb and likely not sure what gets tracked through the app and what doesn’t, I decided to not start out with something that might make her worry this would follow her around. Plus, she was traveling with two other adult work colleagues. It was very possible that she had nothing to do with the problem. It would suck to be tagged in a personal account for someone else’s mistake. (It did turn out that one of the others owned up to it.)

If she ignored my text or responded negatively, I would have then gone through “proper channels.”

Yeah, I realize my original post said I wanted to request payment for the whole mess. I had just finished sorting, photographing, and tossing warm meat—basically taking a salmonella bath—then disinfecting the freezer and surrounding area.

But then I showered, ate my non-chicken dinner, had a cold beer, and read the more constructive posts here. I knew it would be resolved most quickly if I owned much of the risk and helped her believe I was trying my best to be fair and reasonable.

3 Likes