Guest Trashed my House

I ment english speaking countries.

Ah. Anglo Saxons are a very particular historical group. They were from areas near Germany, and invaded Gaelic speaking Britain before the Vikings did. Anglo Saxon vocabulary forms the basis of Old English (before we had the Norman invasion and the influence of French to the English language).
In the states there is a term ā€˜WASPā€™ which stands for White Anglo Saxon Protestant, to describe Germanic looking white Christians. In the UK the term is usually just used in history.
As for English speakers, about 20% of the world speak English, only about 60 odd million doing so in the UK.

Well the nearest call centre to the UK is in Dublin so they are more likely to Celtic :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They donā€™t have call centre staff in India.

Yes, I have had a couple of nice lilting Irish accents. It comes up as a very popular accent in surveys.
Doubtless there is a tax advantage to running a centre in the Irish republic.

It is obvious to me. When we touch the Anglo-Saxon term we refer specifically to English speaking, be it a person, a state, a district. When we refer to the Anglo-Saxon countries, for obvious reasons we can already determine that the meaning is each and every one of those nations that have English as their official and / or main language. Although, the Anglo-Saxon has a history behind.

Sorry to hear this @LCL.

To be honest in these situations, it is up to you as the host to stop the party as soon as you are aware it is going on and evict guests from the premises to limit damage and disturbance to your neighbours.

Why did you let the party go on until 5 a.m., particularly when there were 6 men firing BB guns?

Anyway, hopefully you have photo and video evidence and a police report to back up your claim. This will help ensure Airbnb consider it properly.

Going forward do make sure your guests have photo ID and that you ask your guests about the purpose of their stay to help weed out those staying with you to party.

Yes it is not a sustainable model right now. Hotel conditions need hotel prices to maintain them. I guess hosts will become disposable, when Airbnb has sucked out all the good will from hosts and trashed their houses it will spit them out and move onto the next host. In many cases Airbnb is pressuring for prices less than a shared room in a youth hostel - no can do!

There certainly are many tax advantages. Thatā€™s why Google, Airbnb and many other tech companies base themselves there. Thereā€™s also the fact that the Republic will remain in the EU which makes it a better location for them.

2 Likes

Yes I think Amazon were challenged on that.

Yes they were and there was a big backlash against Apple too.

Thank you, hanging in there and hoping for the best when they leave Sunday. The guests have assured me the gun is gone, the house is spotless and all will be well. Airbnb assured me that any reviews from them and I will stay. Iā€™m hoping they are contrite in their review and donā€™t lie their arse off. You can bet bottom dollar that I will be honest and the next host forewarned!

As for Comoā€™s message about doing this remotely, I never would have if we didnā€™t have Bill on property. But as wonderful as he is, Iā€™m seriously considering cameras as well!

From the OPā€™s message, it sounds like concrete video footage would be helpful, and maybe not even enough then!

We are 6 hours away with an on-site manager. I wasnā€™t aware of anything until 8:30 last night, at which time I immediately called Airbnb and the authorities. The party was stopped, gun removed from the property, additional guests removed and AirBNB has ā€œdocumentedā€ things, they say. All guests are gone except the original guest. I havenā€™t kicked him out yet because he has been compliant without his buddies around. He is deploying Monday and Iā€™m probably being naive. Augh.

Unfortunately the situation wasnā€™t able to be addressed as it happened because the entire neighborhood was at a wake for a fellow neighbor that passed over the weekend. Hence why, even with Bill around, cameras are forthcoming!

Emma, my heart goes out to you for all the reno work you did and the years of service that you already gave. Your enthusiasm for hosting (well, maybe previous enthusiasm?) is evident. I hope this comes to a good resolution for you. Iā€™ve seen others mention the social media route ā€¦ Considering how Air seems to be so concerned about their image, maybe that would help? Iā€™m new here, but I hope for the best for you and anyone in this pickle.

1 Like

And they are a joy to speak to; never less than helpful, and always good for a laugh with!

2 Likes

And that accent ā€¦ I loved my journey in Ireland!

I think air dies have a call center in India. I have gotten those agents late at night when the San Francisco office is closed. In my experience though, the Indian staff was great. Canceled a suspicious booking with nearly no questions asked and no penalty. To be honest, so far I have been pleased with the service I get on the phone. Maybe Brits need to just call the USA number through Skype or something! :thinking:

2 Likes

As a Brit, in the UK, Iā€™m not even sure we would be put through to the US, Skype or not! If possible I time my calls to coincide with Dublin but Iā€™ve spoken to Lisbon, Lithuania and Latvia at different times; trust me, I check. All brilliantly helpful, without fail. I sense that itā€™s call centres in the US that give people the most grief, but I may be wrong

1 Like
  1. No they arenā€™t. You can buy them out of the profits you make from your Airbnb. It will cost you far more not to have them.

2. You can monitor from anywhere with the right system.

3. Having cameraā€™s is not about providing evidence for Airbnb (although it can help), it is to help you see if your guests bring visitors onto your property contrary to your house rules, steal stuff etc.

You canā€™t rely on your neighbours to manage your airbnb. This is down to you. If you arenā€™t hosting locally, you need to have a local manager. Then if your guests donā€™t respond your local manager can go down and turf them out.

1 Like

The call centre I know about is in the Philippines @Holly_Burton rather than India. Normally in the UK we get through to the Dublin one.

I have had US customer services answer me once. Unfortunately they didnā€™t seem to know their stuff and I had to tell how the basis on which to cancel a booking as she didnā€™t know how to do it :frowning:

Iā€™d much rather talk to the Philippines customer services to be honest if no-one is available in Dublin.

1 Like