Guest suggestion to add a clock

This post is a “in case it helps you” one.

I’ve been hosting since 2017 and just got our first suggestion to add a clock in the suite. To tell time. Haven’t had one all this time, but will add one. With personal watches, the time on the TV, phones, etc., it just didn’t occur to me that someone would want a traditional clock. But these guests said they put away their phones deliberately so they couldn’t find the time without them. Guess they didn’t wear an old school watch either.

We don’t have an alarm clock in the bedroom…I do have wireless charging stations, a sound machine, lots of plugs, Bluetooth speaker et al, but no one has asked for an alarm clock in all this time. With all the gadgets, and the fact that we are 100% a vacation getaway, I didn’t add one. These guests didn’t ask for that but I suppose I should put one in a drawer.

3 Likes

I’ve always wondered if I should put a wall clock in the kitchen. My husband talked me out of it because the microwave and stove display the time. I personally like the idea of having a wall clock.

2 Likes

Besides the microwave clock in the kitchen, I provide the 99 cent IKEA square clock in the bathrooms. If a guest needs an alarm clock I suppose they could take it from the bathroom into their room…

With all the scared guests who think that anything electronic in their private areas was ‘spying’ on them it seemed best to not provide old time hotel things like clock radios or even landline phones lol. As we all know, ‘big tech’ is spying on Mom and Pop visiting their kids at school and their secrets are a national security issue.

2 Likes

My mom and dad stayed at our place, and the only thing they said was missing was a digital clock for the bedroom. They like to see the time during the night without picking up their phone.

I find the clock face down on the dresser after pretty much every guest, lol

5 Likes

Exactly! I turn every bedroom clock face down…I hate the lights and we bring blue tape when we travel to put over all the darn electrical nuisances. In addition to a small clock for the LR, I am buying a small travel alarm clock and will leave it in the bedside table.

3 Likes

I have been on the fence with this as well, just have not found the one that i love. You do need to get one without the second hand as I believe those are the ones that make the tick tick tick sound that will drive people nuts.

2 Likes

I have a digital alarm clock in the nightstand. We have tried to minimize all the digital times displayed on coffee maker, microwaves, etc. in the guest rooms. One of our rentals has living room and I have a wall clock there. It’s nice to have the reference without something glaring at you in the dark.

5 Likes

I thought about a wall clock and then realized I need a digital one…so many people can’t tell time on the old style clocks anymore…or their eyes aren’t so good.

1 Like

I went and looked at IKEA and didn’t see that one. I saw a $1.99 clock that I’ll order though, and a chance to be a Business IKEA account, which I signed up for.

2 Likes

I keep a digital alarm clock in the drawer of the desk that is in the Airbnb guest room. I mention it along with the white noise machine that is also kept there. Both instruction books are in that drawer also. Most people do not use either but I often get comments of “you really have thought of everything!”

Also since that room gets cool in the winter (split entry house that is almost impossible to regulate heat) I put a heated matress pad on the bed. The instructions for that are in the drawer as well.

Yep, I’m going to put both the travel alarm clock and the white noise machine, and their instructions, in the bedside table. Right now the white noise device is on the table and I hate having any clutter on bedside tables.

1 Like

I had a homeshare guest who brought her own white noise machine. She turned it up so loud it sounded like a 747 taxi-ing down the runway. I couldn’t believe that helped her sleep. I had to put my earplugs in.

3 Likes

all smartphones have hundreds of ‘white noise’ apps so the guest can use them for free. That said, I put white noise cubes in the closet for guest use; they are very appreciated and commented upon. A good addition to your airbnb bedroom.

2 Likes

That’s funny @muddy :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Yes, every turnover we get to do the “find the clock” game. Though if we pull it I’m sure we’ll get the guests who need a clock at night.

At home, my clock shines the time on the ceiling, so you can only see the time in the dark. That is really convenient, and guaranteed to freak out guests.

1 Like

Both apartments have (repro) MCM wall clocks to follow the era of the building and the furniture.

So I was delighted to find repro alarm clocks for the bedrooms. Like @Charmed59 they end up hidden in drawers because so many guests can’t sleep thanks to the ticking…

2 Likes

In my search online today on Amazon, I saw a lot of clocks advertising “no ticking!” LOL.

2 Likes

A lot of the wisdom on this forum will say to not react to one comment from a guest. Wait until three or four guests make a comment about something missing, especially something as unneeded as a clock, before you spend money. You can always put a note somewhere saying ‘Do you need an alarm clock? Contact the host’. But just because one guest out of 100 as decided that they need you to provide them with something like that does not make it a must have.

7 Likes

Excellent point, @Rolf - and remember that anything we add to our rentals is just one more thing to clean or to go wrong.

2 Likes

Really!
For seven years we’ve had old-school red-numbers LED alarm clocks on night-stands in both bedrooms, and nobody has ever put either one away or left it turned upside down or backwards. I ask myself what could explain the difference in reactions, and have no idea.