Guest sneaking in unpaid extra guests

Hey guys – @sobepuppy I would be super upset if I found out about spiderman.

We at airhostsforum.com have no control over what our members post as per the terms – we will however, take down any videos/content that people request us to if it involved them. That has not happened yet so until that happens, I think it’s fine – you have a right to post it since it’s the entrance of your house.

6 Likes

Shame there is no way to incorporate this into your review of her.

3 Likes

“Audrey had an unregistered visit from Spiderman…” LOLOLOLOLOL

7 Likes

The guest consents to recordings when agreeing to my stated House Rules, which specify the front door is monitored by a video camera.

3 Likes

Yup, but we mods were unsure if the forum should allow posting it for liability concerns. But we all just heard from Tommy, owner of the forum, so the video stands! :rofl:

1 Like

But it would be good if someone could obscure her face, in any event. Yes, she’s been stupid but things do come back to haunt…

We don’t have her name, only her face. And frankly her expressions are part of what makes this so hilarious. Hey, when you are caught on tape you are caught on tape. :rofl:

3 Likes

I haven’t gotten my outdoor camera yet (on my ever-increasing to do list), butI wouldn’t want to carte blanche promise that video footage wouldn’t be shared. I can imagine situations where video might be turned over to law enforcement.

2 Likes

The Guest consents to the recordings when accepting the terms & conditions of the booking. No further permission to use the recording is required

1 Like

Good Lord, there is no expectation of privacy she should have, that’s the law. She’s not going to come to an Airbnb hosting site, come on!

1 Like

What is the camera that you’re using? This is a great idea to ensure guests are following house rules.

It’s a Ring video door bell, I have them on all my units. Perfect way to ensure the proper number of guests are arriving & no parties are occurring.

This is inappropriate for someone running a business to post online. I imagine if Airbnb found out about it you will immediately be kicked off the platform.

1 Like

Why is it innapropriate? Guests consent to the recordings when making the booking. Guests see the camera positioned on the front door facing the public walk way. Why would Airbnb kick me off if they knew I posted this? Airbnb asked me for the video when I reported this guest and their response was directed at the guest for breaking the rules - not towards me for filming them ( which again, was previously disclosed and agreed to).

Moreover - WHY is his thread turning rain to a discussion regarding the use of the video footage obtained from a consented to recoding device? That’s what inappropriate & frankly absurd at this point.

Ok, so let’s say all that occurred. Let’s say the link is shared and posted on several websites. What difference does that make? The guest consents to the recording upon securing the booking. There is no stipulation regarding it’s acceptable use. Airbnb allows the recordings. So what is the real issue? You are scared for liability reason for this website? Then take the thread down - simple. This discussion is absurd at this point.

All countries are (presumably) different but this example from the UK government seems to be common sense in addition to being UK law:

• You should not store any information or images for longer than is necessary to protect your property which means you should delete the information once it is no longer required

• You should make sure that the information recorded is used only for the purpose for which your system was installed (for example it will not be appropriate to share any recordings on social media sites)

1 Like

Did you not read the original post - it was not meant to entertain a discussion regarding permissible use of video footage. And since the website owner stated he is fine with the post - why is there a continued discussion about it?

And yes - there is no expectation of privacy. When you stand with your front door wide open to the public for all to see inside your home, you are waiving your expectation of privacy.

This is not located in the UK. Airbnb can take up to 30 days to finalize a resolution dispute, sometimes even longer - which means all proof of violations must be maintained during the pendency. There is no restrictions on sharing videos on social media sites in the US.

The issue is not in being recorded or you recording guest activities for saftey or guests and safety or your unit / following of rules. The issue is the use of recording to shame / make fun of guest for their actions in a public forum.

3 Likes