Guest says I should offer toothpaste

Won’t that make your gums sting?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I didn’t notice that. I did think it would taste better with a splash of pineapple juice.

4 Likes

Somehow I read that as:
I got a small anti-depressant for $1.18. :rofl:

3 Likes

I think the small ones are generally for ennui.

2 Likes

If I add the pineapple juice and a shot of rum. But then it’s not $1.18 any longer.

1 Like

not here.
and I’m not providing single use amenities that people can just take for their own future travel bag (like we all do at hotels, which is why hotels no longer provide those things). i have a forget me not basket, it had a toothbrush + paste in it (which I took from a hotel! ha), which the guest didn’t see. But in this situation she actually thought I should provide toothpaste, not sure in what size tube, but small tubes are not easily available here, I found some on amazon, but that’s not normal, you can’t get small tubes in the shops, so for her to ask for toothpaste I can only assume she meant a full sized tube. I provide hand soap, hand lotion, body soap, shampoo and conditioner, all nice brands, in large bottles.

again, that’s not available here, not without a $15 shipping fee, and I’m not handing out single use toxic toothpaste. all my other supplies are organic/natural/very nice.

that’s nice… we don’t have walmart. nothing is that cheap here. this thread is devolving into “where can I find the nastiest, cheapest toothpaste for my guests” :crazy_face: which is fine, I’m ok with things going off-topic, conversation is fun.

I’ve never heard that one, I’m assuming Lincoln is on your penny?
I suppose Boomers might say “tighter than a Scotsman” cos the English will say the Scots are penny pinchers, and English culture has been very strong here up to the 60s (then we went metric and it all changed! haha), and of course, such bigotry is frowned upon nowadays, no matter that picking on each other is time-honoured tradition. I don’t know if we have any good slang for a penny pincher, I shall mull it over.

3 Likes

I used to supply toothpaste we could buy in a packet with a toothbrush but I stopped years ago we had a shop nearby that sold all these bits and pieces for hotels but that closed down a while ago I never bothered since, only one guest I can remember ever asked me, we have 7/11’s every 500 metres,
My question is, How far do we go? That shop had everything like disposable razor blades shaving foam earbuds could spend a fortune,

I got a cheap bundle of Avon roll on deodorants in some neutral flavor. I figure the guests will have to be a bit desperate to go for the goopier deodorant experience, and won’t take it unless they need it.

The toothpaste is the thing most frequently taken. Sometimes it’s cheaper to get slightly bigger sizes than “travel.” Intrigued by the tablets so looking into that.

Made me suddenly recall these tabs I got from my dentist as a kid that you chewed after brushing and they turned any missed spots on your teeth bright red! Probably loaded with toxic substances . . .

1 Like

I agree. I have never seen any travel-size toothpaste put out by the companies that make natural-based toothpastes without flouride. I wonder why they seemingly haven’t thought of that.

I wouldn’t provide them for guests, but I would buy them for myself when travelling.

1 Like

They have thought of that :wink: The most common are Tom’s of Maine, Dr Bronner’s, Jāsön, Xyliwhite and that Himalaya brand. They all make all-natural fluoride-free toothpaste both readily available in travel size, in the US at least.

I’ve provided those depending on which I come across and/or the price at the time. However, I only use those for my cheaper bookings. Regular full-price bookings get travel-size boxes of Marvis which is a fancy Italian all-natural fluoride-free toothpaste.

There are a lot of other brands as well though some of them are prohibitively expensive. @gillian I’ve seen Aēsop travel-size toothpaste. You could triple your prices or sell your firstborn and provide a fancy Australian brand of toothpaste (or go broke trying) :joy:

3 Likes

Good to know small tubes of natural-based toothpaste is available-I’ve never seen them in Canada, and while some of those toothpastes are available in Mexico, never seen travel-size here either.

I found one, and I bought 6 of them, but if they get taken straight away I’m not restocking, cos I think we can all assume people would take them because they are awesome to have in your own travel kit.

3 Likes

I’d be sorely tempted to take it, but I wouldn’t because I’m a good person. :rofl:

1 Like

U.S. Target customers: Tom’s of Maine non-flouride toothpaste 1 oz travel size, 99 cents.

2 Likes

Mean as cat :poop:……………? 202020

Back to the OP;

It depends very much on your level of provisions in the first place and your perceived price level in your general area.
I have been to both hotels and AirBnBs that do provide travel packs of toothpaste and brush, along with other accoutrements.

My personal take, seeing as you provide soap, shampoo and conditioner, would be to include the travel size toothpaste as well. You or your cleaner can check if it has been used, even once, at check out time and either keep the unused tube/brush or bin them.

We have various levels of bathroom provisions at different locations. Our lowest level is; shower gel, shampoo, cotton buds and shower cap at economy level serviced apartments. Our top level is ; as above plus, hand soap, wet wipes, TOOTHPASTE & BRUSH, slippers, gowns, static air freshener, basic-but-pleasant cologne & perfume. We note on our description that these are provided FOC and is the guests choice whether they use them or not ( getting around the possible issue of allergies, preferences etc. ).

1 Like

You don’t provide hand soap at your economy rentals, yet provide shampoo and shower caps? That’s pretty strange. Hand soap and toilet paper are the most basic of amenities. I’ve never heard of a host not providing hand soap and I’ve never known anyone in my life who uses a shower cap.

ah, but here’s the point. People will take the toothpaste as a freebie, so basically I’m losing another $2 with each booking (and given i do 1-2 night stays, that not inconsequential when you add up all the “little” $2-5 items that are expenses). If I were doing week long stays it might be less of an expensive, but in theory i could be going through a dozen tubes per week

This was the first time a guest has asked for such a thing (and remember, there was toothpaste+brush in the basket - something i’d taken from a hotel stay), she actually thought I should provide toothpaste. Well, how about deodorant? dental floss? mouthwash? hair spray? lip balm?

1 Like

my mum! I have a shower cap in my forgetmenot basket, cos it’s something we took from a hotel… my daughter and her bf work in hotels so they will grab a few amenities for me when they can to keep my baskets topped up.

1 Like

Okay, your mom. Anyone else?

It just seems so non-essential in an “economy” str compared to hand soap, which everyone uses.