Guest says I should offer toothpaste

I agree. But it costs about $10 US a year and we’ve never had serious issues with blood on the bedding.

I go to dollar tree and get travel sized everything for my apartment. That way they use and throw away! Hope this helps!

1 Like

A lot of us hosts are quite opposed to the “use and throw away” model and do not provide single use products, instead using refillable containers for toiletries, replenished from bulk containers, jugs of filtered water instead of plastic water bottles, etc.
Just because we are hosting doesn’t mean we need to add to the waste stream if we can possibly avoid it, and many guests feel the same way.

6 Likes

I DO use refillable body soap, shampoo and conditioner as well as cleaning supplies, but NOT personal hygiene products like deodorant and toothpaste… but, you know… you do you.:raised_hands:

3 Likes

Your words matter…

3 Likes

What a great idea! Call it a ‘life hack’ and leave it out in a basket for those who forgot their toothpaste (but not eyedrops).

Bet it works well (I’ve never seen a study disputing that! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Not only did you state that you use travel-size everything, you said “That way they use and throw away!” as if that was something positive.

1 Like

I was talking about personal hygiene. This board is the most aggressive, negative, petty board I have ever been on. I will be finding a more positive and productive source of information and support. Thanks guys!!

3 Likes

And another ‘host’, called to account for their words and deeds, makes a dramatic exit.

“positive” = agreeing with the host, apparently.

3 Likes

Plenty of positive and productive responses on this forum. However, “supporting” poor advice and solutions which are detrimental to the environment isn’t “positive”. Nor is supporting someone who says something and then denies they said it.

2 Likes

Yes, words matter, including words like hyperbole.

I don’t have any problem keeping a small tube of toothpaste for guest use. The ones at the dollar store, now the 1.29 store, aren’t travel size, they are just small. I don’t much see the difference if I refuse to buy a travel size but the guest then goes and buys the travel size. I also have the disposable razors for the same reason. If a guest needs one they probably aren’t going to go buy the expensive one.

I’m going to repeat my assertion that anyone in the discretionary travel business, which is highly damaging to the environment, should probably find a different topic to pontificate on besides damaging the environment.

4 Likes

I think most people these days live in ways which are detrimental to the environment, and also try to mitigate their negative impact in other ways. None of us are angels in that respect. So while we may not be in a financial postion to get rid of our fossil fuel guzzling car, we may try to limit our driving around by doing all of our shopping in one go for the week, ride-share, walk or bicycle when feasible.

Providing a small tube of toothpaste for guests, when they will in many cases likely take it with them and use it up, isn’t a big deal, for sure. It’s one of those things that involves hygiene issues and most people aren’t into sharing a tube of toothpaste with anyone but their immediate family.

But I wouldn’t call suggesting that providing single use “everything” isn’t necessary and is environmentally unsound to be “pontificating”. Discussing ways we can be more environmentally conscious doesn’t mean we are unaware of how our choice of business involves a big carbon footprint nor that we think we are terribly virtuous just because we use refillable containers.

If people are made to feel they have no right to promote responsible environmental practices just because they don’t live off-grid, have a composting toilet, only use second-hand items, and drive an EV, nothing will ever get better.

5 Likes

You need psychiatric help or a hobby😂

Personal insults as a response to an over the top or overly pendantic response to your post is inappropriate. We may not be agreeable, but being agreeable or supportive are not part of the forum guidelines; avoiding insults are.

5 Likes

Really, you think that @Galatea meant that everything is travel-size and disposable in her apartment? Like, literally everything? She has travel-size pillows, travel-size furniture, travel-size appliances, tiny little ultra-absorbent disposable camp towels, etc?

I know you understand hyperbole because you use it every single second of the day (that’s a joke, see what I did there, lol) yourself.

We all know, you too, that she didn’t mean “everything”. So if she didn’t mean everything then you have to narrow it down with context. The context is that the discussion is specifically about non-sharable personal hygiene items. We have discussed toothpaste, tampons, maxi-pads, deodorant and now razors (which I hadn’t thought of before but I also provide disposable razors and I will add lip balm, sheet masks and emery boards to the list too).

You have to choose. It’s one or the other. “Everything” either refers to literally everything and she is running a crazy tiny place filled with minuscule lightweight foldable camping equipment or it refers to everything that is within the context of the discussion which is non-sharable personal hygiene items.

1 Like

As it appears that you joined this helpful and informative forum (not ‘board’) in order to be disruptive, I think that it would be a great idea for you to find somewhere that better suits your needs.

If however, you would like to become a productive member of this hosts’ forum, that too would be fine and I urge you to read the FAQ of the site. Thank you.

3 Likes

Obviously it wasn’t referring to everything in her apartment. I think she meant all the toiletries, and don’t believe the back-track. If it’s only toothpaste, or non-shareable personal hygiene items, why say “everything”? If it was a thread about sheet fabric and someone jumped on and said they use microfiber “everything”, would you think they were just referring to sheets, because sheets were the context of the thread? I would take it to mean all their bedding was microfiber.

I see you are new, welcome to the forums where newbies get a hard lesson in how this forum works. Some of the old guard here seem to delight in being brusque with newbies, happened to me too! This isn’t the fluffy “woo yay, let’s all be nice” place, it might be a shock if you’ve come from other sanitized places where people do all they can to out-nice each other, and then go behind your back and report on you for saying something they deem to be “wrong”. At least here they just tell you to your face. It’s refreshing.

Pretty sure I was told to “harden up”, lol.

8 Likes

Read for months, got to know the people you posted regularly and an understanding of how they were
Put on my big girl panties and jumped in.
Sometimes you are looking for affirmation, sometimes confirmation…… this place is a treasure trove of people, help and experiences!
If I don’t agree with some things, I just scroll on by
But! God help a troll! They are not tolerated and I love it when those threads die because no one will play😀

6 Likes