Guest Review for Guest With Odd Behavior

Thank you for letting me know what I need to do before trying to read such a long diatribe, altho any missive talking about prayer (even in jest) means fantasy rather than reality, which is what is needed here always. Paragraphs are available at no cost, and if you decide to use them in the future I will happily read your comments.

4 Likes

This is very similar to my situation except that the neighbor did not say anything, at least not yet (praying). Anyway, my point is that my “alerts” are on for the area toward my entrance and driveway, and she was in the driveway. I, like you, had to go back to find the time of the alert and then I opened the RING app to “live” to see if she was still walking up and down the driveway. Also, she appeared to be yelling toward the back entrance so I turned on the volume to see if what she was doing could be disruptive to neighbors, which is when I suspected she may be deaf. For a second I thought there was something wrong with my camera and the volume. I actually would most likely Host them again as I don’t think overall they were bad Guests, and I don’t think they disrupted a neighbor, but that was my point in asking on this forum as I thought maybe I should mention something in the review because it could have caused a neighbor to complain.

Since my guest is “scorched earth” with me, I didn’t make any private comments.

But, since you’d have them back, perhaps a gentle reminder in the private comment that “there are neighbors nearby so they should take care to cover up whenever outside on the property, for their own privacy and to avoid disturbing neighbors. We are a little different here in the US about modesty and since this came to my attention I wanted to let you know.”

They don’t need to know how it came to your attention this time around.

I realize because you live on the property the camera thing/security is a potential issue. If you have not already, I’d make sure guests were aware in the listing and upon arrival that you do monitor motion alerts in the driveway, etc. even when guests are staying, for your own security.

2 Likes

I am sorry for not using paragraphs initially, I didn’t think the post was going to be so long, but I have since corrected the post and added the paragraphs–thank you for bringing it to my attention :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you–that was what I was looking for from a fellow Host, and your suggestion on the modesty issue is perfect :slight_smile:

Sometimes as Hosts, we are lost for words.

2 Likes

Thank you @Rolf. As you and @Annet3176 pointed out, I didn’t realize at the time just how long my post was as well as my responses, that I failed to include paragraphs–my bad. I guess my other posts over the last few years weren’t long because no one else ever mentioned that to me. Constructive criticism is always well taken so thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m not the paragraph police, however it would appear that I’m the forum (word) soup dragon :dragon:

When someone posts a long, unbroken chunk of text, it is both difficult to read and to comprehend the point the poster is trying to make. When viewed on a small screen, e.g. phone, tablet etc, the issue is exacerbated. That’s not just my opinion, it’s a fact, hence the term word soup evolved.

Another issue is that posts like this are often rants, I’ve no idea why but ranters rarely use paragraphs or line breaks, maybe they’re typing as they rant :rofl:

Like a lot of folks, I tend to skip these topics, although sometimes I will point out that it’s unreadable without an effort I personally am not prepared to expend.

JF

6 Likes

I would be curious on what instructions you gave the guests on whether to clean up. Before I hosted an Airbnb I treated an Airbnb like a hotel, and just left whatever mess I made (not renting a shared space), thinking that’s what the cleaning fee is for.

Now I realize that the level of clean-up is something to find out about. In my automated check-out letter delivered 9 am on the day before check out, I remind the guest what the House rules are on cleaning up. So, in my opinion, your review depends on what you clearly asked them to do.

On the deafness issue, this would make me consider whether the smoke detector/carbon monoxide detector has lights (mine does), and if not, to put that on your list.

I’m not concerned when people leave a mess. Usually it’s not bad, and doesn’t take that much longer to clean up than if they hadn’t. I’m more concerned about something being broken.

I’m not sure why people think this is okay. I have never left a mess behind me in any hotel, not even a cheapo Motel 6.

Hotel maids should be shown some respect. They are usually overworked and underpaid, often immigrants.

7 Likes

Hmmm. Well, that’s what I used to do. I usually don’t book hotels now; Airbnb instead.

I hadn’t thought of leaving a messy room as a sign of disrespect, still don’t, on the theory that the room is going to be cleaned regardless. Besides, what kind of ‘mess’ do you leave in a hotel? Usually it’s a matter of straightening up.

In fact, and I’ve discussed this with our housecleaner, we don’t ask our guests to clean up or strip the beds. We ask simply that if they’ve moved something, to put back in the original place, and to put the dishes in the dishwasher.

Anyway, I think the key is communication in an Airbnb. Just write out your expectations.

When I stay in a hotel, I make sure my stuff is off the floor, not on the bed.
Any rubbish is in the bin.
I want them to have a clear run at the room service.
Negotiating a guests possessions must be the worst part of the job.

4 Likes

I think we’re getting off topic. The question is how to review this guest, not for ‘odd behavior’ in my opinion, but for the mess left. It’s not about how we leave hotel rooms, which is tangential and introduced just to highlight that an Airbnb isn’t like a hotel in that the guest should look to the written communications on how they are to leave the property at checkout. That is the point I am making.

I suggested that the OP’s review depends on the instructions clearly communicated, which as a practical matter I believe should be in not only the House Guide/Rules but also in a letter on the platform well prior to (the full day before) checkout.

Now the OP says that the cleaner says that there was ‘garbage everywhere’ and spills on the floor. That sounds bad at first blush, but what are we really talking about? Is the ‘garbage everywhere’ picked up in 5-10 minutes? Is the ‘garbage’ scrunched up paper or days-old food that has been rotting there? Are the spills minor or did someone spill a bottle of ketchup and just leave it sitting on the floor? So some judgment needs to be applied.

In the end, it sounds like nothing was permanently stained or damaged. If the OP left clear and timely instructions on cleaning, and they big time didn’t follow them, I’d ding them on that. If it wasn’t ‘big time’ I’d let it go.

If the OP is not so sure whether he was clear and timely, I’d focus on changing the OP’s communications so that they are clear and timely in the future.

If the OP’s communications were not clear and timely but the mess was egregious (ketchup all over the floor or whatever) then I’d ding them and write out what they did.

Please make your review short, positive to the extent truthful and exclude anything extraneous. If you’d be happy to host them again be sure to say that.

You might make that private note as @aelilya suggested, but unless this is really important I wouldn’t do it because you never know how it will be interpreted.

Actually many hotels now have instructions posted for guests regarding turning off lights when they leave, leaving unused towels on the shelf and used towels on the floor, etc to cut down on unnecessary waste of resources.

It’s pretty obvious that she wouldn’t be happy to host them again, don’t you think?

SMH. My exit rules ask guests “…to be courteous of the cleaning crew, please:
-Remove food from the refrigerator & freezer
-Take out trash
-Leave dishes & kitchenware clean
-Leave the condo tidy.
The Cleaners thank you. I thank you. And I am sure the next guest will appreciate being able to check-in to a clean condo at 3:00. “

1 Like

I haven’t been to a hotel for years but I’d certainly follow those instructions. I think I could do so and still leave a bit of a mess.

But again we’re off topic, don’t you think? I hope you’re not trying to pick a quarrel with me, especially on a tangential point.

I don’t know that the OP wouldn’t be happy to host them again. I think that the OP is looking for our perspective. The ‘odd behavior’ which the OP prominently raised is seen by many on this forum as not so odd or off putting.

We don’t know the extent of the ‘garbage everywhere’ and spills, and maybe the OP doesn’t either, just hearing that characterization from the cleaner. My perspective, given that nothing was broken or damaged, was that the mess might be no big deal without knowing more. We also don’t. know what communications were given to the guest on how to leave the property on check out.

So I wouldn’t assume that the OP is unwilling to host them again. I think my statement as accurate as written, don’t you?

To me this is a good example of clear instructions.

So that’s one reason I would not assume that they would not host them again.

No, I’m not trying to pick a fight with you, I just don’t agree with some of the things you say. And you have been giving other posters a great deal of unsolicited advice that aren’t asking for and don’t need or want.

The OP is not a newbie host. I don’t think she needs to be told to mention in a review that she would happily host a guest again if she does.

She was asking for feedback on what to write about the guests- some reality check on whether what seemed quite odd behaviors to her should enter into the review.

And if her regular cleaner said that she had never encountered a place left so dirty, asking “what we’re talking about here” is out of line IMO. The OP didn’t come here to explain exactly how many pieces of garbage were left on the floor or exactly what substance was spilled and not wiped up.

1 Like

It’s fine that you don’t agree with some of the things I say. That’s the purpose of a forum like this, to share opinions. They’re not right or wrong, just our perspectives.

As to unsolicited advice, the OP in its first sentence asks 'to get help on reviewing a Guest." That’s a general request. Yes, the OP cited ‘odd behavior’ as well as the cleanliness issue.

As for my suggestion that the OP ask the cleaner (not tell us) 'what we’re talking about here" is not ‘out of line’ in my opinion. I think the OP should know exactly what the mess was. Nowhere do I suggest that the OP 'come here to explain how many pieces of garbage were left on the follow or exactly what substance was spilled and not wiped up."

So you think I’m giving unsolicited advice while you choose to chide me about leaving a mess in a hotel, calling me out to say it was “obvious” that the OP called “pretty decent guests” were not guests the OP would host again, and now chastising me for suggesting that the OP say in the review if they would host the guest again, and for suggesting that the OP understand exactly what the mess was?!

Oh yes, now I am sure you’re trying to pick a quarrel with me! LOL.

IS any of this back/forth with me adding substantively to the content of what the OP is seeking? Why are you doing this?

1 Like