Guest query of midnight weirdness

My last guest messaged a few minutes before midnight asking where we keep the oyster openers.

I have no idea what an oyster opener would look like, and I know for a fact our apartment doesn’t have any.

But I learned the valuable lesson of setting my phone on silent when I go to bed. I spent way too long awake and wondering why they needed oyster openers at midnight, and what percentage of hosts do stock them, and if Amazon Prime could get them here in less than 12 hours, etc, etc.

6 Likes

It’s called shucking.

1 Like

Tell him it’s right beside the left handed nose hair tweezers, the escargot forks and the automatic pancake flipper.

Seriously though, who messages a host at midnight to ask for an oyster shucker? FFS! I hope you did not respond at that time. They may get the idea that it is ok to ask for items at any old time of the day or night.

6 Likes

Nor did I! but after googling, I’d suggest that you assess the condition of your knives and silverware, after the guest leave. As well checking for any blood drippings. :confounded:

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-35681-Oyster-Handle-Silver/dp/B00004OCLC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_79_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CGXD2T948J0S5SZNAZXC

2 Likes

“We stopped providing one after that unfortunate shanking incident. Oh yes, dear, it was dreadful. Thus why I had to remove it so I never treat a guest like that again for calling me at midnight. Now if you will excuse me, it is time for my medications.”

12 Likes

with the asparagus steamer and the hand carved mother of pearl caviar spoons!

5 Likes

I don’t eat seafood but I was under the impression that to shuck oysters or clams all that was needed was a paring knife.

1 Like

Most paring knives are not stiff/strong enough and will break, leading to hospital visits.

Oysters are supposed to an aphrodisiac, so maybe the guests were “priming the pump” as it were for a late night adventure!

5 Likes

The host could paraphrase the old adage:

Oysters are slicker
But liquor is quicker

And wish the guest better luck tomorrow night :rofl:

4 Likes

You clearly are not from the lowcountry of South Carolina. Time to start watching “southern Charm” on Bravo ! Since my oyster knife is personalized with my name, I would never share it with guests. Oyster knives provided upon request only ! …and only in months with a “r” in them. Out of season in the summer. Where is your place?

4 Likes

Several years ago, I found these hand forged shuckers made from recycled railroad stakes. One end is a shucker, the other is a bottle opener. Made kind of locally - at least in the state!! They’re a hit. Usually family are the ones to use them as guests can’t cook here but they can open their beer! And even though it can be dangerous to eat oysters in the off season it still doesn’t keep the fish markets and restaurants from serving them.image|230x500

3 Likes

“Just smash the bathroom mirror and use one of the shards to open your oysters, Bob. You can wipe your bloody hands on the sheets. Oysters are rich, so do vomit them up on the carpet if you need. Thanks!”

2 Likes

I nominate this thread for thread of the month. God, when we’re on, we are really on. I might not be the only one imbibing on the Independence Day in the US or around the world.

4 Likes

Well, being English…

Mind you, any excuse. So Pimms then - a good British beverage :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d reply “Awww shucks, we don’t have one”.

9 Likes

Every day a school day on this forum… :rofl:

1 Like

@georgygirlofairbnb – we’re close to Seattle. Our guests were from Canada, and I suspect they bought oysters at Pike Place Market. I think we have a different range of dates for oysters here, though since I never buy them I’m kind of vague. They were an older couple and their adult son – very quiet.

They left the place very visually clean, but very strongly smelling of cooking and unspecified funk, so several hours of airing-out required.

I guess if we really loved our guests we would have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Vollrath-1853-Oyster-King/dp/B0083VUCFG/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=oyster+opener&qid=1562361212&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Though I feel like this option https://www.amazon.com/Resistant-Protection-Stainless-Shellfish-AmHoo/dp/B075N8NQ4P/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=oyster+opener&qid=1562361392&s=gateway&sr=8-15 is more flexible. I hate “uni-taskers” and those gloves might come in handy in all sorts of situations – zombie attack, while shaving, or your more vigorous “oyster opening” events.

Good thing you didn’t grumpily tell them to go shuck themselves…

6 Likes