Guest made a copy of my house keys without permission!

Thank you @robin1 sounds good and has many good reviews! I think I found it on the official page of the product cheaper rather than amazon.

@Brandt in my case changing the code with my phone wouldn’t save me any time because I clean the apartment my self before every checkin so I can manually change the code after cleaning.

@mj2000uk yes it makes more sense now. Can you post your product’s website please so I can have a look?

sounds to me like you had daft guests, and they’ve cut you an extra set of keys for free, this sounds like a win-win, how was their review?

1 Like

They didnt review yet. CS called him and then he texted me to apologise and confirm that they only made one copy

You also do not know that they only copied one set.

1 Like

and no-one knows if the guests before that made 3 copies, and chose not to get into a conversation about it.
Every guest since day 1, could have made a set, and if they were any type of criminals, they would have kept quiet about it. Daft guests tell you they’ve made keys, actually give them to you, and they’re the ones that become potential burglars?
(or ‘burglarizors’ for the Americans)

2 Likes

Exactly, which is why I would never use keys at a STR. The idea that any guest could potentially make a set of keys and come back whenever they please is scary.

I have a smart Schlage deadbolt and use it with a Wink hub so that I can add/remove codes remotely. I can also set it to remind me to remove the code on the day the guest checks out.

2 Likes

There’s CCTV both outside and inside the building. And honestly there’s nothing worth stealing in my listing :joy:

@Barns that’s exactly what I thought.

1 Like

That Schlage Camelot Deadbolt actually looks nice! Not silver and modern

I agree. If they are going to steal or harm they don’t tell you about making extra keys.

My guests tend to be families from at least 200 miles away. I don’t live in the unit.

If anyone really wants to steal the 2 TVs purchased on sale at Walmart they can heave a brick through the sliding glass patio door and stroll in.

Two condos have substantial storm doors that do NOT use the same key as the entry door. The guest make lock it while they are in the unit providing a layer of safety.

However for the one without a storm door, I think I willl place a door stick in the condos so guest use while in the condo if they wish (physics—some one would have to break down the door to get in).

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Security-Adjustable-White/dp/B0002YUX8I

1 Like

You should mention this in the review and click the “report unsafe behavior button.” Certainly give them a thumbs down, and wait to review them at the last minute.

Will AirBnB do anything? Doubtful. Will future hosts be warned? Yes, but many will continue hosting these guests.

I just saw a guest profile this morning where multiple hosts accused one guest of unsafe behavior: trashed apartments, staying extra nights, stolen keys, hard-drug use, and even engaging in sex work. Yet she kept booking more properties. AirBnB hasn’t removed her and apparently many hosts don’t read reviews before accepting bookings either. Guests like this is why I won’t accept Instant Books from people who’ve received a “thumbs down” in the past.

Repeating from me: I’m really not at all certain it works that way. I’m going to PM you.

I think you’re right that hosts don’t read the previous reviews.

1 Like

is there a brand that will also work with a key? because internet can go down if a guest unplugs it or there’s a storm or whatever and I’m on vacation on the other side of the globe.
I’m reluctant to rely on internet only.

I have the Schlage with Zwave. And use Wink for the hub. It has a standard key that you can have in a lock box if necessary.

Also, Wifi is only needed to program the device remotely. Once the code is in there, the internet can go down and the lock will still work.

1 Like

The problem I have with my digital lock has to do with the fitment of the deadbolt in the door frame, I think. I know I’m not the only one with this issue as I’ve just booked an airbnb that sent me check in instructions in which they stated, “Since this is a large door, you may have to jiggle the door to get the deadbolt to line up with the door frame.” I’ve had multiple guests using the digital lock (it’s not a smart lock) who can’t get it to work and have to wake me up. The key is the most reliable way to actually enter the door, if one can just keep track of the key.

As not on site, I don’t want to get the locked out /lost keys call at some god awful hour.

I always suggest the Lockstate 6i or 5i; they both are NOT deadbolt locks; they replace your door handle and work like a reg lock. They also have a key hole. In 2 years on 2 doors I have NEVER had an issue with fitting the door. Deadbolts can close while people hold the door open too long, or try to bolt when the door is not totally closed. They are not the best kind to use with people unfamiliar with your door and etc.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

I wouldn’t like getting that call either. However, in about 150 parties hosted, I have never had a anyone lose the keys. I’ve only had one lockout and one person ring the doorbell at night because they couldn’t figure out self check-in. So I don’t know that lockouts are a common occurrence if you give guests keys.

1 Like

Hi there.
One thing that has worked very well is the Sherlock Smart Door Lock.
An extremely simple design with no delicate gimmicks. It’s built to last a long time. It doesn’t have keypad though, but keypads have short lifespan anyways.

We just share virtual keys with our guests and they use that to open. It’s rock solid and pretty cheap too I got it for around 90$. Hope it solves your problem too.

I got it from an online store called My Wherehouse.

Let me know how it helped you.

1 Like