Guest Lying About Uber Eats Delivery

I just had a seemingly sweet guest message me saying that their Uber Eats delivery was stolen off the porch. She asked if that had ever happened before and reassured me that she knew it wasn’t my fault. I responded, “Oh no! No, that’s never happened before! Let me check the camera. What time did it happen?” And then, crickets…. I checked the camera which clearly showed the guest greeting the Uber Eats guy and receiving a delivery order.

My question: what’s up with this? Was she planning on asking for a refund from me or something? I just can’t figure out her end game.

I think she forgot about the camera, even though we had interacted over it at the beginning of her stay.

:grinning: one attempted safety issues scam not coming up!!

5 Likes

That’s what I was thinking, too. The guest would make a claim against the host for the property being “unsafe” due to the Uber Eats delivery being stolen and try to get a refund for a least one night’s stay.

My question is - will you mention this in her review? You could be innocent about it “Sue was a sweet girl, but there was one odd situation where she messaged me that her Uber Eats delivery was stolen even though she clearly opened the door and received it from the driver.”
It’s a statement of fact and you aren’t accusing her of trying a scam or of being extraordinarily forgetful (or stoned, etc.). But it’s a good heads’ up to other hosts.

6 Likes

That’s what I thought when I read the above. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

and with a case of the munchies! I think you should definitely mention the incident as part of the review.

3 Likes

My first thought is scammer but it could be something else. There is an 80% chance I would message her something like this:

“It was really bugging me about the uber eats delivery so I checked my camera and it shows you taking a delivery from the Uber eats driver at xx time on xx day. Is that the delivery you are talking about? There’s no clips of anything being stolen. I feel so much better knowing my deliveries are still safe.”

I’m a fan of stating facts without emotion. If she becomes defensive, so be it. If she’s embarrassed because she was stoned or has clinical memory problems, that’s a shame but her problem can’t be your problem.

7 Likes

I get a lot of food delivery. It’s more likely an Uber Eats scam of sorts. They will tell you that your order is delivered and then it shows up 15 minutes later (it’s because they get timed on deliveries). Or they deliver to the wrong house or don’t deliver it at all and then they try to tell you it was stolen. I’ve been through it too many times with them so don’t use them any longer.

What you saw on your camera was likely a delayed delivery or the re-delivery of her food after she didn’t get the original delivery. You’ve given no reason to be suspicious of this girl and it’s the simplest explanation which is usually the correct one.

It seems pretty mundane to me but if you’re really twisting about it then you could ask her, “did you ever get your food delivery?” but I wouldn’t bother if she isn’t bothered.

1 Like

Why make assumptions either way? It should be obvious from the time read out on the video as compared to when the guest sent her message whether it was a delayed or resent delivery.

1 Like