Guest leave a review after cancellation . Is this posible?

I didn’t happen to me but I believe I read a review on a host’s profile on where it seems the guest has canceled his stay (a few days after it started) but was able to leave a review. Is this possible? I would like to be aware!

Yes, I would assume that if a guest has actually stayed at the listing they are eligible to write a review.

Yes in my case that happened.

If they cancel before the date of the booking, they cannot review. If they cancel Booking Day or later, they can review – the thought being that they have “experienced” your listing (even if only for an hour) and are thus entitled to tell others what they think of your place…

Yes, they can leave a review. The chances are that when a guest leaves early, it’s because the accommodation doesn’t suit them in some way. If they have had a problem with a listing, then it’s only fair that they should be able to let potential guests know.

Guests who have left for other reasons - illness or whatever - are unlikely to write a bad review. It’s more likely to be apologetic and say that they were sorry that they couldn’t stay longer. Therefore, it’s nothing to worry about either way.

2 Likes

In my recent case, the guest stayed two nights and then was somehow able to cancel the entire stay–it vanished from my calendar. I was never given a prompt to review her and I never got a review from her.

Granted my experience was from Summer 20016, and we all know how quickly things change in ABB world. We had 5 separate guests across our 3 properties check-in stay a night or less, cancel on their own accord, and neither of us was able to leave reviews.

We haven’t come across this issue in 2017, yet, so I’m working with old data.

I had one a few months ago. Cancelled 2 days into their 7 day booking (and then went to sleep in the unit they had just cancelled the booking for. yes. some people smh.) and they were not able to leave a review and I was not able to review them either.

2 Likes

Many users have corrected the answers above, but that’s right. If a guest cancels a reservation anytime (before or during the reservation). Both parties are not able to review each other. I have experienced this as a guest and host.

From both perspectives, this can be a way to avoid a really bad review as well. (I used it once)

Besides that, I think what @Monica was asking that automated reviews you can see on host’s profile.

If a host cancels a reservation before check-in date, Airbnb puts an auto-review (as if it were coming from guest) telling that The host cancelled this reservation x day before arrival. If you wander around host’s profiles sometimes you can see this type of reviews.

1 Like

Sorry, but I don’t think you are correct. I have had guests cancel a portion of their reservation because their plans change. They’ve been able to leave me a review.

2 Likes

When was your experience with this?

It’s happened often over the four years I’ve hosted. I have a flexible cancellation policy so guests can change their dates at will.

People routinely stay with you and cancel their stay during their booked time? Because that is the situation she is talking about.

A guest books for 7 days, 2 days into the stay they cancel…

I wouldn’t say routinely, but it’s not rare. In particular, we have one regular guest who changes her dates at least three times every stay, usually shortening her stay.

Changing the stay is different from cancelling. Canceling is when the guest hits the “cancel” button. When this occurs, the guest is not able to review the host and vice versa.

As far as I know, this is how it works.

I just made a video proving the guest made up lies in an attempt to get a full refund. She never entered the unit but some from her group did. As a result, Airbnb is not granting her request, but I just received an email asking me to leave a review even though the reservation was cancelled. I have no problem truthful reviews, but if she continues to fabricate issues of a unit she never even entered, it contradicts the whole point of the review process. Doesn’t she have to at least enter the unit to review it? Does it matter that I can demonstrate her lack of truthfulness with video evidence?

No i think so. i have experienced like that

It’s true. At least in the UK.

Note that article says changes will be implemented at the August 2017