Guest is on her way and she asking me

18 is still young! They will be needing you a lot at university.

2 Likes

Yes they will. One has joined the navy doing cryptology, the other is off to uni, 600 kms way. So only one lot of rent. But they always need you.

1 Like

Well if your kids are anything like mine they will be back and forth to you for years. In the UK (particularly in the southern part) decent housing is in such short supply that once kids leave university they return home, unable to afford ludicrously high rents or a home of their own. Housing is the single biggest issue for my adult children and their friends.

Yes similar with housing prices in capital cities in Australia. #1 son moved home for two weeks before securing work 1200 kms away.

2 Likes

Not sure if you had the same crisis we did, but from 2009 to the present, 15 million Americans lost their homes to foreclosure. All because the five major banks chose to speculate and bundle mortgages like they were stock commodities. When they lost, everything crashed.

1 Like

Yes we also had a banking crisis and they Were bailed out by the tax payer but it did not lead (for various reasons) thankfully, to repossessions of homes. Our housing crisis is mainly due to successive Governments failing to keep pace with population growth and housing demand and totally failing to build, what we in the UK call ‘social housing’ (used to be called Council Housing) which is state subsidised and therefore cheap. After WW2, when the UK was ‘broke’ , they managed to build around 300,000 houses per annum, last year for example, the Conservatives built just a few thousand (not that the Blairites of Labour years in Government were much better) so no wonder the 3O something’s of today (including like my sons who are MC and well educated) are so angry and concerned about housing. A total policy failure since the Thatcher years of the 1980s (in my opinion).

I had a similar guest asking me if I have TV when it was crossed out in amenities. After checking in he texted me about how nice the room was and also told me that I should have a TV or at least netflix. He ended up not giving me any review.

In 21st century everyone should have Netflix subscription. The cost is so low comparing to benefits of staying wherever and watching your favorite show or a new movie.
I am in Kenya now and even here where ever I have free wifi I use it to watch Netflix on my phone.
When I book my airbnb Stays i don’t even care if I have TV in my room .
She should have said “I” will figure it out not "we":joy:

You mean the streaming device I bought 2 years ago for 240$ and still couldn’t use it properly and gave up? :grinning:

I am so guilty of that. When I travel I become overwhelmed sometimes and so tired that Even when I read everything there are so many roooms
To choose from that I mix up. And don’t remember which one has which amenity.
We rented a house in Rwanda that had no internet . The house had no TV either and had solar light that lasted only couple hours. With not having all of this we stayed up late to just go home and sleep.
It was very cheap
But very boring house. All my fault .

Going against the current once more:

I would be way less bothered with the guest’s question, than by a host answering my question with a screenshot. Unless it was accompanied by some very nice friendly words to soften the mood, that screenshot would really shout unprofessional to me.

Also to me “…we’ll figure it out…” does not have to imply you, the host, but could very well be the guest jokingly referring to herself as multiple persons. At least that’s a joke I would make. Just like I sometimes say to my mum after she has been watching me fix something in her house: “Oh mum, I’m such a team.” which to English speakers probably doesn’t make any sense or joke, but to us is really funny.

1 Like