Guest is claiming car damage

Hi,
We’ve been Airbnbing for about 9 months now and this is the first time I’ve needed you all for help.
Some people stayed in our guest house last night and parked their car in the driveway. All guests have a parking spot in our driveway to use. They checked out this morning and texted me about an hour later saying that they had car trouble when they left this morning, drove to the dealer and were told that a pack rat had started building a nest under their car and had caused damage. Pack rats are common here in the desert of Tucson, and sometime chew wires, etc. Usually a car has to sit quite awhile for something like this to happen and people park outside here all the time. The guest is quite upset and I’m not sure how to respond. Obviously, no other guest has had an issue with this. We park our cars outside often and have not had a problem. How would you respond and deal with this? I feel bad they had trouble, but am not sure it’s legit or if there is anything we should/can do about it. I really appreciate all of your help!
Cheers, Ellie

Just tell them when they put in a claim on their car insurance you would be happy to confirm they stayed with you.

Don’t get into a discussion with them, just refer any further contact from them back to their insurers.

This is nothing to do with you. You don’t even know whether this actually happened. It is speculation. Seems strange the nest building could happen so quickly but fortunately I know little of pack rats :slight_smile:

For all you know they could have an existing car problem and are trying to see if you will pay up for the repairs.

10 Likes

I agree with Helsi, not your problem.

6 Likes

It’s a problem for their car insurance to deal with. That’s why they have it.

5 Likes

Respond something like this.

“We are sympathetic to the issues you are having with your car. Pack rats and other native animals are outside of our control. Best of luck in getting your car repaired.”

4 Likes

Remember - you to have to accept the premise of their argument (just ask Donald Trump!). I agree with @Helsi - refer them to their insurance company.

Now, here is another thought… While it’s not your fault, it might smooth things over, if you offered to compensate them in a small way to say “…hey, I’m sorry this happened to you while you were staying with me…” and offer to refund them $25-50, whatever amount makes sense to you.

At my day job, I work for a relocation company, and we have corporate housing vendors that we work with… so I asked a co-worker what would happen, if while in the parking lot at the rental unit, a client’s car was damaged. The corporate housing vendor would refer the client to their insurance company, and they would give the client a gift card (instead of a refund).

1 Like

Sorry I can’t agree with @katnhat 's advice.

The host offering compensation, is linking what allegedly happened with the hosts listing. Why on earth would they want to do that?

8 Likes

I would not suggest this with an event that has an actual monetary damage. IE the Car costs $1,000 to fix. Could imply responsibility.

This could make sense for non-monetary events. Like if it rained 100% of the time, lake water is yucky, or other things that made their stay unpleasant.

1 Like

Do not do this…
Now, here is another thought… While it’s not your fault, it might smooth things over, if you offered to compensate them in a small way to say “…hey, I’m sorry this happened to you while you were staying with me…” and offer to refund them $25-50, whatever amount makes sense to you.
This leaves you open to liability in some states.

1 Like

NO COMPENSATION. Not your circus, not your pack rats! Just say

“When you put in your claim to your auto insurer, we will be happy to verify that you stayed with us for just one night.”

10 Likes

You all have been SO helpful! Thank you. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Another agreement here. Any sort of recompense can be seen as an admission of liability.

1 Like