Guest injured falling down stairs

A woman who was staying with me fell down a few stairs and broke her arm. She didn’t blame me and it was determined the stairs were safe (she didn’t use the handrail). She got a full refund for the days she couldn’t remain through the extenuating circumstances clause. A week later I received this message from her:

Good morning, Ellen. I got in to see an orthopedic doctor yesterday and got the great news that the break in my my shoulder is healing well, and it looks like I most likely won’t need surgery. I go back in another week to confirm that. I’ll be in the sling for about 6 weeks and then start PT. I realized what caused the accident. I was turning to close the door and took a step back to get out of the way of the door and stepped off of the landing. That’s why I landed at the bottom on my left side with the door still open. I’d like you to file a claim with your insurance to cover my medical expenses.

To be honest, I am outraged. I forwarded this message to Airbnb to handle. I’m interested in hearing about similar experiences.

3 Likes

hopefully just trying it on. Didn’t she have travel insurance?

4 Likes

Uh-oh.

So what did your insurance company say?

Airbnb got back to me. There is Host Protection Insurance that’s quite significant but looks like I will have to file the claim, another headache.

3 Likes

Please keep us posted. We are always interested to hear when Airbnb backs up their hosts.

10 Likes

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but if the landing is up to code, is the host at any fault?

4 Likes

I am not certain if it is but she told me she has good health insurance that will no doubt cover her bills so I’m wondering why she wants payment. Well, one reason we do Airbnb is for protection against lots of things that can go wrong. I wish I didn’t have to further communicate with her though.

Good health insurance rarely covers all of the bills in any medical situation. There are generally co-pays, deductibles, cost of parking at the doctor offices, lost income from taking time to go to the doctor offices, slings, etc. Even the best insurance has some costs, at least in the US.

4 Likes

So so sorry to hear this happened. Please keep us posted as you move through the process.

3 Likes

You don’t have to deal with your former guest - Airbnb’s insurance company will deal with her claim.

She might want to make a claim on Airbnb’s insurance because if she claims on her own her payments will go up.

As you say, one of the reasons we use Airbnb is because of their insurance coverage.

What you/they might want to do however is look at how the accident happened and whether there is anything that can be done to help prevent this happening again. Is this something that could have happened or can you demonstrate there is no way she could fallen in the way she claims.

Is this a premises you use or something that you let out?

5 Likes

See if you can replicate what she is now saying happened…"I was turning to close the door and took a step back to get out of the way of the door and stepped off of the landing. " Could be she’s trying you on for a bonus…

3 Likes

Oh, what a nightmare. Please keep us updated on how this process goes!

I wouldn’t reply to the guest other than to say that you’ve initiated the claim process with Airbnb and they should be in touch with her. (I’m not a lawyer…) but I’d imagine the less discussion or apologizing from your end, the better.

As @KenH suggests, see how the choreography of this works. If really far-fetched, maybe you could document with video or pictures and send to Airbnb.

9 Likes

With Airbnb’s insurance or yours?

What an outrageous, demanding cow! I’m outraged on your behalf. Hopefully Airbnb will deal with her and you won’t have to. Would she sue herself if she broke her arm in her own home?

8 Likes

On top of that she called the Fire Dept. because she couldn’t get up. But she gave them the wrong address and they damaged my neighbor’s door trying to get in. The dept. asked my neighbor to file a claim with them for the damage, but too bad they are paying for it themselves. I sympathize for her injury but hope I never have someone like that again.

4 Likes

Just curious, were there any red flags about this guest before the accident?

4 Likes

How horrible for your neighbours!!!

It’s my basement. Just a cautionary note to hosts, if you don’t already. Leave your phone on! I turn mine off too often and she couldn’t reach me.

1 Like

Airbnb told me about the host insurance. There is a section on it on the site. However, she wrote to them and got this response from another agent, which is wrong. She did get a refund for the days she didn’t stay as well as this nice offer! Being well compensated for this accident at least!

I am really sorry for your accident; I hope that you are on your way to a speedy recovery!
Regarding the medical expenses claim you’re asking about, this has to be addressed by your host since the accident occurred inside his listing. From our part, we have already refunded you for the nights you didn’t spend with Ellen. All other claims regarding the accident have to be reported to the Host and the host’s insurance company.
In order to compensate you for the troubles you had I am open to provide you with a coupon for you to use on your next trip with Airbnb. Let me know if this is ok for you.
Please reach out to Ellen about your claim and hopefully everything will be dealt with.

1 Like

I would love to see Airbnb absorb some of the loss we hosts have in these situations, but I understand that’s not pursuing.