Guest has been blocked from booking on AirBnB as they said she might be having a party

And also punish some percentage of innocent hosts. The local under-25s are 30% of my business. Never had a single problem with that age group. Fortunately, many of them are smart enough to use a VPN and are still booking with me (though not as many as before).

Isnā€™t that a given for any Airbnb policy? :upside_down_face:

That may be your personal experience, and that of some other hosts but obviously it isnā€™t the case on average. And even if 90% of hosts have found that under 25s have never been a problem for them, the metrics say that when there are these out of control party scenes, they are overwhelmingly from bookings of those under 25.

So while it may be ageist, it isnā€™t like those kinds of things donā€™t happen in other walks of life. Young men statistically have the highest rate of traffic accidents, so young men pay the highest insurance rates. There are plenty of young men who are responsible, careful drivers, but those guys still have to pay the higher insurance rates because of the metrics.

Maybe what Airbnb should do is to only apply that algorithm for bookings with new hosts, say for the first year of being Airbnb hosts, as newer hosts arenā€™t experienced with vetting guests. And let the experienced hosts decide for themselves whether it seems like a risky booking. They could still warn hosts that this booking fits their ā€œpartyā€ parameters, but not actually prevent the booking from happening.

2 Likes

I like that idea a lot of Airbnb letting us as seasoned hosts decide for ourselves. After five years at this, I see the pattern of what age group I can trust. The younger ones are the most cautious and worried about doing something wrong and tidy up after themselves the most. They also are more aware of how to sort and separate recyclables.

4 Likes

@Nearthesea. Well said! We are happy to accommodate most young guests, especially if they are not local. Even still, our stay does not lend itself to be low-hanging fruit for a potential party location.

1 Like

And most of them want to compost too. I would never ask a guest to compost, but these kids ask, so I point them to the composter in the back of the yard and they look so dang happy taking stuff out to it. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Certainly not to me. Iā€™ve had plenty of local guests, many teenagers and about half of my guests have no reviews.

I have a two day minimum so quite a lot of stays for that length of time but I rarely have last minute bookings because Iā€™m normally back-to-back. But my apartments arenā€™t really suited to partiers anyway plus Iā€™m right there on the premises.

Mind you, I donā€™t have red flags because I use IB anyway.

I think thatā€™s a great idea.

2 Likes