Guest got hurt in my unit

And don’t forget to screw tall furniture pieces to the wall!

Don’t offer ibuprofen. Do offer to run errands.

2 Likes

Update: my guest seems to be fine. Yesterday she was still using the walking shoe they gave her at the clinic. I had already made the concession of letting her bring her cat. (Not into the room) She checks out tomorrow and asked if she could pick him up Sat and I agreed. I’m not thrilled - the cat and cat equipment have overtaken my carport and I am dying to clean it all out and hose it down. I used to love cats but I don’t allow them inside now - too many people have allergies. I may be left with a cat.

Wait…what? How did the cat appear mid-stay? Or did you tell her she could bring it with her when she booked? I’m confused…

1 Like

Sigh. I agreed to the cat the day before she arrived because she said the person who was going to take him backed out at the last minute. She is relocating to my area. I told her the cat could stay in the carport, which is enclosed and safe. Now she doesn’t want the cat. What can I say. My mistake.

Will said cat consider a relocation to Canada? We get a lot of interesting things left behind but this takes it. Irresponsible

2 Likes

I just hope she picks up the cat. I would hate to have to take him to a shelter.

1 Like

Really thinking this might not be the profession for you

Thanks, I can always count on people to tell me that. Nevertheless I learn each time.

4 Likes

Oh, wow. Yes, it was probably a mistake. What is wrong with people? (Her, not you. Your heart was in the right place.) So sorry you’re dealing with that on top of everything, I hope she steps up and takes responsibility.

3 Likes

Before she checks out, I suggest that you get her new address from her. Look it up on Google before she goes, if you can, to make sure it’s a real address! So you’ll have somewhere to deliver the cat.

1 Like

Don’t be frugal, after all 'tis the holiday season, splurge and use FedEx Priority Overnight.

3 Likes

Just another reason to charge a pet fee. At least if someone leaves their pet behind I’ll get a little money for my trouble of calling Animal Control to pick it up.

1 Like

I think @RebeccaF is joking but please don’t return the cat to her if she abandons it. Take it to the shelter at least.

2 Likes

No! Doing this is bad since she has already been advised what to do by Airbnb. If you as a person feel bad just offer to have tea or coffee with her or offer to get her new ice packs from the freezer while she puts it up. I understand you feel bad because this happened while you are hosting her but do NOT go against what Airbnb said. Although it shouldn’t it could make any future case against you much much worse.

What comes to mind is the video @PuppyLover posted a while back about never saying anything even when you are completely innocent. I just went and saw the movie “Richard Jewell” with my mom last week and the whole time I couldn’t help but think of that video @PuppyLover had posted. Perhaps she can post it here.

Basic “know your rights” stuff from high school civics. LOL.

1 Like

And comping her is absolutely no guarantee that you won’t get sued…in fact it could end up encouraging a lawsuit…see my previous post above.

1 Like

I would not be delivering a car for free…unbelievable!!

1 Like

I have to say, this sounds like an awful lot of hand-wringing, feeling terrible, wanting to offer $, over a bruised toe. I can’t count the number of times I’ve stubbed, sprained or even broken a toe in the course of my life. It never occured to me to go to the emergency ward (They don’t set toes, as far as I’m aware), or wear a boot and while it might have been painful to hobble around on for a few days, it didn’t stop me from going about my normal business.
What’s next, refunding guests because they broke a nail on the keypad?

2 Likes

Update: Guest checked out this am. She left the room very neat. Picked her cat up this evening, ahead of schedule. I gave her a rosemary plant as a housewarming gift. I think it all worked out, I am collapsing with relief. Yes, only a bruised toe, but it must have been very scary to have a glass fixture fall down and hit her toe. I still feel bad about that. Thank you all for your backup and I will definitely be getting rid of the pull chain.

4 Likes