Guest got hurt in my unit

You really shouldn’t. Can you think of any other business owner who would feel awful if a customer got bruised on their premises?

I can understand that you’re empathetic, I think we all would be, but feeling awful doesn’t help her, after all.

Truly, try to put this behind you. You worrying isn’t going to help at all. Just be sure to get an electrician in to put in a new, secure light so it won’t happen again.

2 Likes

It’s a lesson to us all I think. Regular maintenance and safety checks are easy to over look, especially when you’ve got a constant stream of same day turnovers.

But @Perimaud says that she feels so bad about this so I feel more for her than the guest who is just a bit bruised. Making sure that a rental is safe and secure is just what we want for the sake of the guests, but it also puts our own minds at rest too.

1 Like

Neither would I. I wouldn’t offer anything.

1 Like

I agree with Jaquo that you shouldn’t be beating yourself up about this, but I’m going to go totally against the grain and say that if it’s making you feel so bad then why not offer her some compensation … It’s only money and in my opinion your peace of mind is more important.
I also don’t think you should feel guilty … accidents happen, and even the most perfect host may miss a future freak accident causer. I’ve certainly never gone round testing whether lights are firmly fixed to ceilings (though perhaps I will now!) Give yourself a break, Perimaud … stuff happens,!

2 Likes

At first I thought, “how could this happen?” Then when they said a “pull chain” fixture I thought it’s reasonable it would come loose over time. Every time the light is turned on or off the fixture is being yanked on. I used to have ceiling fans with pull chains and I had them rewired so they are turned on and off with switches or remotes. They will get loose if pulled on. What the host missed is that you have to turn on all the switches, open all the doors etc. Otherwise, over time these things happen. I realized recently the knob into the Airbnb room was loose. That could prevent a guest from being able to enter.

1 Like

I once had this - the knob to one of the apartments was loose. An absolute superstar of a guest asked me if he could borrow a screwdriver, without telling me why he wanted it.

He fixed the loose knob. What a sweetheart. :blush:

3 Likes

I’d like to add that with loosening screws it can go from “attached” to “the screw is falling out” in a short period. This knob was fine one day and amazingly loose the next.

And it’s possible that the OP even overtighened the fixture screws when they

It can be tricky to find just the right touch for a good screw job.

Edit: That’s some freudian BS right there. I should say something else but am too flustered to figure it out right now.

8 Likes

Trust me I am on this - the fixture was put in when I first started using that closet for multiple purposes and I now have learned the hard way, pull chains are bad!

1 Like

Love that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OMG, I have to edit that. Jesus.

2 Likes

Live and learn. I am lining it up to get a wall switch installed in mid January.

2 Likes

WOW! I don’t mean to be a jerk ( I understand wanting to appear as if you’re trying to help in some way.), but you have got to take a step back and slow down! You have received alot of solid advice from the Moderators ( and others) as to what to do which is nothing. These folks know Airbnb, and if they say don’t offer a refund or do anything at the moment then take their advice. Stop saying you’re considering the refund. Let Airbnb take the drivers seat on this.
If you even hint that the situation is serious and your fault she will sue you for negligence or whatever is appropriate. People in this country ( U.S.) sue at the drop of a hat. Stop! Smile. That’s all. Bake her cookies. Do not offer her anything. Nada.

1 Like

We had a guest ask for a hammer! Apparently there was a nail popping up in one of the thresholds :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry, I totally disagree about offering money. In a pinch I would comp her stay. That’s not outright admitting to anything. Hell, consult a lawyer with a few “what-if’s” worst case scenario. I am extremely paranoid. Yes, but I could not afford a lawsuit with what I make with Airbnb…lol!

OMG! I’M WETTING MY PANTS! Don’t even think about editing this comment…let 'er ride!!! I hope someone goes off thread with this one…hahahahah

3 Likes

RR

2 Likes

That is the third time you mentioned “giving” the guest something now. If you want to, it is your choice. I am with the other hosts though, I wouldn’t

Then it seems you don’t need to give the guest anything. They’re covering her on your behalf.

1 Like

Dont offer ibruprofen as you do not want to be seen to be “supplying” medication or accepting blame.

Be empathetic, but if she is sending images, stay professional and let AIrbnb handle it. You don’t want it amplifying into a greater claim.

2 Likes

yeah, do not put lighting fixtures or anything for that matter that might fall on your guests head. You might get sued.

1 Like