Guest from hell who didn't even stay here

Jersey, unfortunately, I think if they showed up to check in and then left and canceled they can still review! Ask @Zandra, it happened to her!

Then why couldn’t my guest leave a review, when he did stay with me and cancelled a few days of the end of his visit?

I agree with Inna. Respond to his negative review by referring to your review in some way (people will then go look at yours) and respond to anything new he says, with the facts.

don’t worry it happens ive been hosting since 2010 and have had only 3 guests in the time - where that happened - first one was a guest that had similar issue to you so airbnb sent them to me - they gave me my first bad review - second was a very nice guy who booked wrong area for him so airbnb sent him to me - he went on about kitchen cupboards not up to his standard and insides dirty - thankgod I have professional cleaners otherwise he would have given me bad review - last one was last month two german girls who had booked one place and got cancelled last minute by host so airbnb sent them to another they walked out of there came to me did the same after 10 mins in the room they didn’t like the wall finish - its venitian plastering - don’t worry the aim of airbnb to to please most of the people most of the time not all all the time - you had a lucky escape!!

If they cancelled reservation,you don’t need to give them review.They can’t leave you review either since the cancelation.No worries!

This isn’t true if they checked in and then canceled and left! They CAN indeed review! If they set foot in your place, even for a short time, they can review.

2 Likes

@konacoconutz is absolutely right. There are instances where they haven’t been able to leave a review but also instances like mine where they were.

I just had guest cancel 4 hours before arriving and she left a review but I only found out when checking my notifications. I got no email informing me I received a review nor informing me that I could leave her a review. I just hate how Airbnb changes things around randomly and doesn’t inform the Hosts!

They did send me an email indicating they were refunding the guest $1.91…I asked for what and got no response yet. Her reservation was for one night.

1 Like

What notification is this, the one on the dashboard page?

So the 14-day period has passed now?

On the app you go to profile tab at bottom right and then the first line is notifications with a little bell :bell: symbol.

No, I can review her it appears but I got no email like I usually do. The only way I can review her seems to be to go to that notification. The 14 day period has not passed. She would have checked in on Friday and out on Saturday (yesterday).

You don’t need to use the notification to review her. You can directly review the guest from your Profile > Reviews section:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/users/reviews/

As the email notifications for reviews has in recent days become flaky, I always keep this page open on a separate tab. It helps.

The reviews section only shows reviews once they are visible. The last two reviews I have received that have not yet posted to my profile are no where to be found or indicated on that review page.
I will see if that changes once I write their reviews and their reviews of me become public.

The reviews section has certainly indicated that someone’s written you a review and you can write them one, before the 14-day period. So that’s the indication that they’ve written you a review, and you can use the link there to do yours.

Has that changed now?

The website is buggy as can be. I just got a notice by email that our guest reviewed us and to see it I need to review her which is usual. I promptly reviewed her and sent it. However, the site still says I need to leave a review but if I click on the leave review I get the message “sorry you can no longer edit that review”.
Bottom line, neither review is showing up on our listing.
Really, Airbnb, your whole business model is your website and pr
Get it right! Grrrr

1 Like

Really, Airbnb don’t insult our intelligence! If there were a viable alternative to the kind of rental we do (room in our home) I’d go there in a heartbeat. Since basically all they do is run a website (ok I know they’re fighting multiple battles with municipalities all over the world) I think they should really be on top of their IT problems. @faheem has often commented on this issue with great eloquence.

1 Like

Apparently the indications in my notifications are wrong. They are just trying to get us to write a review I guess. I just left one for another guest that it was showin had written one for me on checkout daybof August 21st (today or tomorrow is the last day I can write one, depending on how fickle their system and people are on the day) and while the notification still says he wrote me one and I should write one when I try it says that mine was already written and will be visible when he writes one or the 14 days are up…I really hate how inconsistent Airbnb is as well as their website.

And we had one of the instances where the guest stayed for most of their booked nights, cancelled the last night, the whole reservation disappeared from our calendar, and neither of were prompted to or could leave a review.

I wonder what the differences are between these situations and whether Air reps are doing something manual on their end.

You can leave a review if you do not stay, they changed it sometime back.

My situation happened after Zandra’s.