Guest does not want to specify a check-in time until 5pm day of

I like to arrange my day to day activities so that I am home when someone checks in.
Tomorrow’s guest replies that their arrival will depend on the weather.
When I reply that I would need an approximate check in time in order to make sure that I am home to welcome them, she replies “I’ll let you know at 5pm”.

So that basically means that I can’t plan anything for tomorrow night but wait for this guest.

Am I wrong to be annoyed?

Do some Airbnb guests think we have a 24 hour reception desk in our homes?

Should I specify in my house rules that by booking a room in my home, the guest agrees to provide a check-in time (+/- 1 h ) at the very latest a day prior to check-in?

Thanks for your thoughts.

2 Likes

I know how frustrating this can be. Yes, I suggest that you include it in your house rules that guests must give you a check in time. I have this as a house rule. Many guests ignore it, but that means that I can cancel their stay without penalty if I wish. Also, when a recent guest didn’t respond to my email asking for a check in time I called Airbnb and asked them to get in touch with the guest. It worked. Another thing you can do is have a check in window, for example 5:00 P.M. to 10:00 P.M.

1 Like

That is very rude. I always message about a week prior to confirm check-in time. If they don’t know then, I would expect to know 24 hours in advance.

2 Likes

Thanks Ellen.
I prefer not to have a check-in window , since I really am quite flexible, but on the condition that I am advised a reasonable amount of time ahead of time.

Hi Halifaxy,
Well, if she’s going to let you know at 5 pm, then maybe at that time she’ll let you know that she will arrive at 8 pm and you will get a 3 hour window to eat dinner and run errands.You could always ping HER at 5 pm and ask for an update.

I struggle with this one as well. Most people fly here and come straight to the house, but the ones who drive just don’t have a fixed schedule. A recent guest was originally going to arrive at 3 pm, but texted me 2x to say she was running late and finally arrived around 8 pm.

I do ask - sometimes more than once - that people text or call with updates and most do. And my listing is full of warnings about how dark my neighborhood is and how hard it is to find the house (which is true) so they have to give me warning to turn on all the lights. (One person gave me updates at each stoplight, I thought that was hilarious.)

This stuff annoys the crap out of me, even though I am home 97% of time. My personal zen solution is to think about how I’m going to spend the money. Sometimes it’s “yay, now I can pay the phone bill!” and other times it’s “I am spending the whole $300 on ice cream” but you know, whatever works. Buy something really beautiful from that person who annoyed you and turn the negative into a positive.

3 Likes

Thanks Artemis : You’re right! I’m off to buy hundreds of dollars worth of icecream …:smile:

6 Likes

@Artemis is right, think of ~why~ you doing this, should bring a smile.

2 Likes

Our listing says that check in is between 4 and 7.30pm. But it also says that other check in times can be arranged by prior consultation. This has always worked out well.

I have a guest booked who requested an 8am check in. When I explained that another guest was in the apartment until the checkout time of 11am but that I would be happy to look after her luggage she was totally cool. This has happened often.

I also supply them with a list of great things to do locally so that they can enjoy the period of time before they check in.

5 Likes

I have had a few guests who have ignored the message that I send 5 days ahead of their arrival asking about their arrival time and breakfast preferences. This email the day before their arrival is getting results:

= = =
Dear {NAME},

Though I hate to be pushy, I must have an arrival time so that I can plan my day tomorrow. I would hate for you to wait on the stairs or porch for hours following your arrival.

Please be in touch,

= = =

When it is about THEM, they do seem to respond.
Susan

3 Likes

I send a message to them the evening before their arrival only. It seems to work just fine.

3 Likes

In this situation, I sent a message to my guests yesterday and today and they still don’t want to to give me a check-in time yet! :confounded:

Then they get to sit on the porch! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is very awkward. Luckily it’s no problem for me because I’m right on the premises but I can understand how difficult it must be if you need to rearrange your day.

Sometimes my guests only give me an ETA on the morning of their check in. But I ask that if their circumstances change then they send me a text message.

1 Like

Yeah I’d be really annoyed. I don’t mind a rough estimate -1+ hr difference.

1 Like

Dollar Dollar Bills???

3 Likes

I have decided to add this to the end of my eventual review of this guest. (what do you think?)

“…That being said, arranging a check-in was a major problem with XXXXXX : She refused to give me an approximate check-in time when requested, the day prior, only saying that it was dependant on the weather (driving). When I explained to her that it was important that I have that information to make sure that I am home to greet them when they arrive, she would only go as far as saying “I’ll let you know at 5pm” (the day of) . I believe that she might not understand the Airbnb concept or the fact that she is checking into someone’s home, not a Hotel with a 24 hour reception desk.”

1 Like

Sounds very reasonable to me. It’s information a future host needs to know, and they need to be publicly called out. It’s not malicious, it’s factual and things all discussed with messaging them. If they try to complain you have the whole conversation to show Air “customer service”.

1 Like

What happened?

Did she end up texting you at 5 pm? What time did she show up?

1 Like

I would say - you do not have to be annoyed - it’s a business - she misunderstands your situation. Chances are really good she’s not being rude, she just doesn’t understand. All you need to do is inform her.

Just unemotionally respond: “I’m sorry, that doesn’t work for me. I need to plan my evening. Please set a time. Thanks!” Or, better yet “I like to be flexible but as it’s just me, no staff, I have to have an idea of when you’re coming. How about 7 pm?”

2 Likes

I wish explaining the need for knowing a check in time would work, but it often doesn’t. I had a similar situation to Halifaxy’s. It is one of my house rules that you have to tell us your check in time so we can greet you. The guest didn’t respond to my email a few days prior to her arrival asking for her check in time. When she arrived she told me that the reason she hadn’t given me her check in time was, “It’s not that kind of trip. It’s the kind of trip where you wake up when you wake up and don’t plan.” The next time I didn’t get a response to my email requesting the guests’ check in time I called Airbnb and asked them to contact the guest. That guest told me that they’d overlooked my email.

Before everyone recommends self check in; it won’t work for me. My dogs are calm and quiet except if there are people in the house to whom they haven’t been introduced. They would bark nonstop if a guest came in while we weren’t here.

1 Like