Guest demanding $300 refund

wow, thanks, that’s a easy one. I got it.

absolutely decline it. as long as your amenities list is appropriate and description accurate, its on them to communicate with you if they wanted the windows closed or whatever else.

I will ask my daughter to edit . Thank you so much for your advice

Yes, it really needs to be re-written.

Here’s my first stab at it:

Stylish, newly renovated, two bedrooms, one bath (shower; no tub) on entire ground floor of two-level home, with private parking (1), private entrance and ample street parking, well-equipped kitchen, super-fast Wifi, back yard access, just 10-15 bus ride/4 km six minute drive to Richmond Centre/Brighthouse Station.

• Master bedroom- Queen size bed, medium firm mattress

• Second bedroom – Cozy sleeping nook with double bed, can
    sleep two adults or three young children

*Sofa in living room can be used as a single bed (30"x72")

*55" Smart TV. You need your own Netflix/Prime/… account

*Super High Speed WIFI (over 500 mbps verified)

*Fully stocked kitchen with rice cooker, coffee maker, toaster, cooking oil, salt, pepper…no dishwasher, plenty of storage

*Shared laundry is located just outside the suite

• Extra blankets, sheets, Clothes Steamer

• Small shower: 30"X30"X75"H; small but functional and stylish bathroom

• Ample free street parking in addition to one private parking space

• Portable fans provided (no AC; summers average 28C, barely reaching 30C); in winter will hear air blowing from furnace

• Back yard is shared with upstairs Host

• Location Information for Planning Your Trip:

Use: 6600 Williams Rd, Richmond BC. We are very close to it.
Calculate Taxi fare: taxifarefinder
UBER/LYFT: rideguru
YVR _9.5 Km
Downtown Van/CruiseTerminal: 19 Km

Rules

No outdoor shoes in the suite, sanitized slippers are provided.
No smoking, no vaping, not any kind of illegal drug on the property.
Please be mindful about noise level, we are at a very quiet neighborhood.

Questions

Can it really comfortably host five guests? Can five people sit to eat at a table/counter?

Can four people really dine where you show the plates as it looks like there is no place for chairs for two of the place settings? Why not show four place settings at the table and two on the counter (where presumably there can be chairs, though do you have chairs/stools for that area)? That table in the kitchen is a dining table, right, though it looks high?

Is there a grill? Apparently not. Is that a desired amenity in your area?

Does shared laundry have washer and dyer? Free? Bring your own soap? Say so.

Does furnace need fixing?

Perhaps list the square footage since the reviewer though it small.

I could not get the styling right for bullets, so the styling is not intentional.

1 Like

Hi Ken,

Though your posts are always helpful, I wish you would not beat around the bush so much.

There’s no harm in having a point of view and being direct. Rather than nuanced and convoluted sentences I wish you would get to the point and speak your mind. Don’t mince words.

:rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your help, it sounds so much better. I am going to steal your words.

I guess it is best for 4. I had one reservation with 5 people, they had no complains about the couch. The table is a breakfast size with 4 stools, and another 2 settings at island. All countertop height. Richmond is well-known as a haven for great food. Most people are not cook too much, especially dinner.
I will add measurements of the bathroom later. The furnace is old, I guess it is time to replace it. Hopefully before cold.

please check my listing, review posted. any advice appreciated.

the site wont let me post her review and I noticed the review in next page. do you see the seem? reply or not?

Their review is so completely different from your others I would not worry about it nor would I ‘reply’.

Yes, I see the review posted at the end of your reviews. What a nasty woman and obviously making up drama, as all your other guests wrote glowing reviews. I wouldn’t worry to much about the written review, as it is so blatantly an outlier and if you were going to respond, all I would write is, “Please refer to our other reviews for an accurate portrayal of what to expect at this listing.”

But I would also push to get her review and rating removed, as she tanked your rating and you have documentation that her complaints are bogus.

Thank you Muddy, I will contact air, request remove rating and review

1 Like

dear hosts, can anyone help? how to write a letter to air supporter to remove unfair and dishonest review and rating in polite way?

thank you

she gave me:

Accuracy 1 weiwei seems not to have thoroughly read listing description.

Check-in 2. entered wrong passcode not the one we provided.

Cleanliness 2 she had no complain about cleanliness during her stay

Communication 1 I replied her very fast, mostly within mins. she sent me one very early in the morning at 6:45, replied at 8:45am, this was the only one was replied slow.

Location 1 she knew the location before booking

Value 1 asked discount and offered her

Should i write these information to support?

I think you can only contest the written review.

"The items the guest complained about were either clearly disclosed in the listing, the result of normal household operations, inaccurate, or factors unrelated to the property.
Windows are open in good weather for guest arrival to air out the unit. There is no smell other than normal fresh outdoor earth and foliage scents, no mildew smell detectable. No other guests have noted any smell. Vancouver is a humid environment.
Although summer, the heater was activated when the guest, unlike other guests, wanted heat. The blower system for the heater makes a normal amount of low-level noise.
The listing clearly describes and shows the size of the shower. The water heater is set to a safe level to avoid any scald risk. See photo of setting. "

4 Likes

It’s her last 2 lines that are really the clincher- “Do you still dare to stay? Think about it!!!”

I would point this out to Airbnb as irrelevant to a review, not simply an account of her experience or opinion, and obviously and blatantly designed to destroy your business. Point out that you are a new host with only 7 reviews, and that this guest, between her terrible and unwarranted ratings, her demand for a $300 refund over a made-up issue, and her review, has seriously damaged your listing, which your other 6 guests were quite happy with and had no complaints.

4 Likes

It’s almost funny, I’ve never heard so much talk of a toilet in a review. Hopefully you can at least get the rating removed

Thank you very much Muddy.

reply from air support

—I understand that you would like to have the review removed However only the author can request a review be removed but I can have it disputed for you. This will require us to have an investigation done where the review is checked against the content and review policy of Airbnb if a violation is found then it will be removed if not it will remain.

she had nothing else to complain, small bathroom is the only shortfall of the listing which clearly written in the listing and we set the price accordingly. The noise at night was the heating on as they requested(wind blowing sound) if people have a forced air furnace, they will understand.

2 Likes

Whew, I read her review and I think that if people read that far into the reviews*, they will discount this review as the rantings of a really unpleasant individual, not as representative of your home. Luckily you have plenty of other positive reviews.

*I noticed that it was the last review shown so I had to click a button to expand the reviews to get to that one – in other words, it is already buried, which is good for you!

Please keep us posted here about whether you are successful in getting Airbnb to remove or modify the review!

2 Likes

A reminder, a review is only displayed as two or three lines, but if a response to the review exists, then the entire original review is opened up in it’s entirety. The lesson here is that if somebody leaves you a bad review, responding to it opens up the entire review to readers, which draws attention to your bad review.

6 Likes