Guest damage to the shower handle -- should the guest pay?

I’m not a more-seasoned host, but your dilemma right now is that you don’t know what it’ll cost.

I wouldn’t bother charging the guest because I would do it myself and I’d be shocked if the parts/material cost is over $30 (It would be free if you had proof that you are the original purchaser). But, from your original post, you’re paying somebody else’s labor cost and you don’t yet know what the final bill will be. I think you’ll just have to set a dollar amount in your mind and if the bill is less, let it go, or greater, ask them to pay.

Just extending my sympathy because my shower faucet is mysteriously broken, with a piece missing, & I can’t get a plumber out for a week. Ahh the host life. I am less concerned with getting repaid and more concerned with angering my next guest who did not break the shower.

1 Like

@Brian_R170, @DestinationCO and other fellow hosts: thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback; once I get the repair estimate, I will share it with you.

Yes. I had a very similar issue a couple of weeks ago. Took pics of the damages, took pic of the bill after I paid send them to Airbnb. You have a very limited time to submit the claim I don’t know like 7 days or something. I also sent an email stating the facts to the guest and of course he said he didn’t do it. Airbnb sided with me and a week later they deposited money in my account. I don’t know who paid, if its them or the guest but I don’t care. I got my money back.

1 Like

@MissMiami, any chance of you posting a picture of this damage?

@DestinationCO wow, a week? That could cost me $300 in lost bookings. Luckily I have a back up plan if my Airbnb bathroom is ever out of service (assuming the problems don’t affect the entire plumbing system). I’ll open the doors into my part of the house and let the guest use the bathroom across the hall. I can even put up a barrier in the hall and shut the other doors so they have some privacy.

YOU NEED TO SUBMIT A CLAIM ASAP!!!

If you follow the terms of the Host Guarantee, Airbnb will reimburse you the full repair cost and will likely not charge the guest a penny.

1. Submit a claim to Airbnb ASAP, it must be before the next guest checks in. Don’t wait for the written estimate, do it NOW!
  2. Take lots of pictures and submit to Airbnb
  3. Get a written estimate to repair, submit to Airbnb
  4. Get the repairs done and submit the bill to Airbnb.

Airbnb will ask the guest if they are okay with paying the cost. If they refuse or don’t respond, Airbnb’s Host Guarantee will kick in and will reimburse you the full repair cost IF you followed the correct procedures. Typically they will not actually charge the guest, not even if you have a damage deposit listed.

I have used the Host Guarantee many times to my benefit. I once had guests damage my front door and lock to the tune of $2,500, and Airbnb paid me for the entire replacement cost and didn’t charge the guest a cent. I got my door fixed, and the poor girl whose friend broke my door was relieved that she wasn’t held responsible.

There is no reason to not submit a claim.

3 Likes

@Magwitch, @MissSwan, @KKC, @RiverRock, @Brian_R170, @dpfromva, @Mexican, @DestinationCO, @adrienne12, @cooperjto
….and I finally received the estimate to repair/replace the damaged water handle…drum roll…$750!!! This morning I contacted Airbnb and will be submitting the estimate for review.

What kind of work is needed to fix this? Does your guy plan to open the wall??

@MissSwan The plumbing company said that (a) the hot water handle can’t be replaced because Kohler no longer makes it and they were unable to find the discontinued part, and (b) rather than have the faucet and handles connected to the wall, the plumber said that a metal plate needs to be affixed to the wall with the spout and a modern water handle installed. Am I being scammed? Possibly. However, the building where my apartment is located uses this same plumbing company and if I use another company they will make it difficult for the plumbers to come and go (the plumbers need to show multimillion dollar insurance coverage, file certain forms, etc).

dear fellow hosts, I plan on printing and laminating this message in 5 languages in the bathroom, your feedback will be appreciated:

Please use the metal safety bar located next to the shower/tub as support as you enter and exit the shower/tub. Do not lean or support yourself when entering or exiting the shower/tub by holding on to the water handle, towel bar, towel rack and/or curtain or curtain rod. The owner of this unit (the host) will not be liable for any injury caused by your failure to follow the directions provided herewith. Any damage caused by the guest to the water handle, towel bar, towel rack and/or curtain or curtain rod will be deducted from the security deposit. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Never hurts to get a second quote and go from there…

Rather than do that, I would notify them that I’m coming over to inspect, even if they are still there, and I would try to get a plumber scheduled when I’m there (we have a horrible shortage of good plumbers here).

I would then use AirBnB messaging to inform them the damage will require a plumber and notify AirBnB that you will be filing a damage claim once they check out and you have an estimate/bill.

Holy #*&%!!!

Sorry, but that “message” is WAY TOO LONG.

@NordlingHouse Dennis, the guest downplayed it and I was too trusting; I should have done exactly as you suggested…

@Brian_R170 You are right; I’m an attorney and tend to be too “wordy”. I will revisit it and try to make it shorter…

I always suggest that the host solve the problem rather than expect a guest to navigate through your home guessing what to do; why not install a grab bar where your towel bar currently is installed? Then, if it is grabbed, it will support someone and will not come out of your wall…

@Rolf, there is already a grab bar installed, why would I add another grab bar on the opposite wall? I’m not hosting natives of remote villages who have not been to a regular bathroom and would be confused as to the proper use of a towel bar and a metal grab bar…my “typical” guest is an Olympian sailor attending a world-class sailing competition, a urbanite visiting family in the area, a visiting professor or researcher, etc, hardly the types that would be befuddled by a standard bathroom in the U.S…

1 Like

Outrageous, good luck with Air I am really curious to see if they will cover this.

RR

I always suggest that guests point the way to how your place is used. If someone needed a grab bar over there, chances are that there is a need for one at that side of the room. And honestly, the cost of the new grab bar will pay for itself when this happens again.

1 Like

This is so sad. I remember a time in this country where if someone did something like that - they’d call you and tell you they broke it and offer to pay for it on the spot. Now they hit 'n run. Amazing how much things have changed in the last few decades.

2 Likes