Guest complained of spider webs

Perhaps this forum can be technically improved so it becomes a good match…

No @Chris. It runs on standard forum software and is paid for out of the pocket of the two owners. The moderators keep an eye on the forum free of charge. No one has ever claimed that it is ‘professional’. Time and money are spent here so that hosts have a free place to vent and ask for/give advice. It does not need to be more technically advanced.

4 Likes

This forum isn’t professionally run. It’s run by a software program (Discourse) over which we have very little control and unpaid volunteers (which at this point is largely Jaquo and I).

speaking of no value added, why add a decade to the age of the necro’d post?

I look forward to Chris starting the ideal forum where only knowledgeable folks post, all forum etiquette is perfect and everyone’s needs are perfectly met. All for free of course with just a few rather unobtrusive banner ads and the occasional affiliate link.

3 Likes

I see jaquo and I had exactly the same thought.

3 Likes

Discourse already has the auto-close functionality, it only has to be activated.

Please send a list of the topics you’d like to have the timer activated on and the length of time you’d like for each one.

1 Like

I would say all topics, and auto close them 30 or 60 days after the last activity.
If someone really needs to add something, they can always contact an admin to re-open the topic.

Discourse does the same on their forum.
See this topic, and the message at the bottom:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/mass-close-old-topics-based-on-last-activity/89658

1 Like

Chris, I don’t think you understand internet forums very well. A well-run forum caters to the needs of the majority of its users without over ‘policing’ it.

As you seem to be in a minority of one when it comes to closing topics, then please inform @KKC or myself when you feel this is required. We will then evaluate the situation.

There are new members joining here every day, and new readers every day. Old topics are often of interest to them.

Thank you for your input.

3 Likes

I’d rather necro an old topic that have a new “no photos of guests now” or “I lost superhost” every month. We have enough of that already.

5 Likes

Sorry, I do not see what this has to do with closing old topics.
Closing old topics, still leaves them available for new forum members as a resource, it just prevents them to reply to them.

I understand and know forums very well, I have been a mod on a few for a while.
Autoclosing topics, has nothing to with policing, just with improving efficiency…

But it seems you are stuck in your routine… “We have always done it this way, so why change?”

Keeping old topics open, does not change that.
New guests will still be opening new topics with subjects that have been discussed before.

Not at all but thank you for your response.

1 Like

I’ve noticed an increase in complaints about people reviving old topics. There are other options you have other than complaining about it.

1. Move on … No one is asking that you read this topic or even comment.
  2. Improve technology … I think @KKC described what tools this App provides
  3. Add to an older topic and bring it forward.
  4. Kick back and enjoy an “oldy but goody”. If not for repeats, I’d never have seen ‘I Love Lucy’ and wouldn’t have ever known about cobweb and spider eradication suggestions.

And lastly if you really have the time and demeanor to criticize the nonprofessionals who help moderate the board, maybe you should reference #1 again.

6 Likes

My favorite posts that I drafted were rewrites of lyrics to Sound of Music tunes. I had fun doing it and they brought a lot of smiles. Now I try to have fun and Mr. Grumpy Gills has to ruin it; pearls before swine. But even in the old days there were always curmudgeons who wanted to “stay on topic” and “answer the question.”

@HH_AZ The first of three, scroll down for the others.

I’d just necro the whole post but I’m trying to be professional. :wink:

That takes me back…
:slight_smile:

I need someone
Older and wiser
Telling me what to do
You are 5 stars,
I’ll depend on you

Just as good second time round.

1 Like

1 Like

Wait, it should have a line “I am two stars” right before that line!

The whole thing is here:

1 Like

I am permanently disabled and can’t stand up without support for more than 2-3 minutes, or bend over. Wanna come over and do it for me?

1 Like

I’d consider it if you weren’t so far.

1 Like