Guest complained & now wants money for a good review

Yes I thought the smartlock was fixed and I tested that it was working normally before they arrived. The key was given as a backup just in case. I understand the lock is my responsibility but I said let me know if any issues with the code (if so, here’s a key to same lock) and I can’t do anything about it if they don’t let me know until basically check-out time.

Looking back now, I wonder how much trouble, if any, they experienced with the lock. She seems like the type of guest who would make it immediately clear she has a problem!

4 Likes

Sounds like a case where she’s just throwing that into her refund request.

In the future just provide a key but don’t say the lock was reportedly malfunctioning. I used to have problems with my digital lock and I provided a key for that reason. It took forever to figure out the problem was that I needed to enlarge the hole and move the strike plate. In dry and cool conditions it would work but if the door frame expanded the least bit with heat or humidity it didn’t fully extend into the hole and then didn’t unlock properly.

1 Like

Yes I have three of the locks and two given me trouble at times. This particular lock gets stuck opened or closed, but I already enlarged the hole and moved the strikeplate around before I realized that.

1 Like

Oy. My neighbor across the road just had a couple in her Airbnb, which is an open-air building with a palm frond roof, and quite nice but rustic and advertised as such, leave after one night on a 3 night booking, because the woman got stung by a scorpion. (Mind you, the name of her listing is Treehouse in the Jungle) My neighbor took care of her, brought her all sorts of scorpion sting remedies, administered to her.If the woman had had an extreme reaction, which she didn’t, my neighbor would have driven her to the hospital.

She also has pamphlets in the place on the local wildlife, to shake out your clothes, and shoes, etc.

The guests left, walked right by the host and her son who were sitting out in the yard without even acknowledging them.

Then he called Airbnb and not only is demanding a full refund, he is demanding an extra $200 for “pain and suffering”. And now claiming that his girlfriend has a low immune system, so that’s why they deserve all this $. As if that’s the host’s fault.

She said she’s dealing with a very nice CS rep, apparently in Chile, who seems to be on the host’s side.

3 Likes

I stayed in a place recently that provided cereal. The box was already open and when I opened it up, a cockroach was inside the box, but NOT in the cereal. That’s not to say it hadn’t been in the cereal…I felt compelled to tell the host. I am a farm girl and used to these things, so it didn’t shock me, but disappointed that the host didn’t store the cereal better.

Yes. When it takes forever for them to answer the phone do you really expect them to track YOUR worries just in case?

1 Like

Agreed. Responding in a calm logical way to unreasonable negative reviews is what the experts recommend. A restaurant in Sydney just had an delivery service driver leave them 17 negative fraudulent reviews and they were discussing it on the radio today.
So horrible for you as a new host ! Absolutely outrageous.

1 Like

Yuck. Ew. That is gross.

Locks require lubrication, especially in humid or cold climates. Tri-Flo is your answer. Doesn’t gum up, has very fine Teflon particles to keep lubricating when the oily stuff evaporates. I use for boat locks, car locks, house locks, padlocks that sit in rain year after year.

Great for bicycle cables and chains if you live where it rains a lot.

3 Likes

I thought that little scorpion and its bite were like a bee sting. I ended up in the infirmary at ASU for a week, had delerium. If my roommate hadn’t known how serious it was and called an ambulance, they said I could have died. Now I’m sensitized to every bee, wasp, & scorpion & have to carry an Epi-Pen.

Are you in New Zealand? I know a Tui is a NZ bird. Maybe there an open box of cereal would be okay given their approach to covid control but just about anywhere else I wouldn’t like the optics of opened food containers.

So what was their response?

They’re definitely not like a bee sting. Some people have very bad reactions, and some don’t. I’ve been stung probably 6 times over the years, and while I definitely end up feeling strange for a few days, and the area of the sting can remain numb for weeks, I’ve never had my throat start to close or anything else that required going to the hospital.

But it’s always important to alert someone that you’ve been stung in case you need help.

There was no name after ‘Best regards,’ just white space.

PRICELESSly funny - but totally believable - experienced much the same

1 Like

I never heard of Tri-Flo before. But a friend turned me on to using silicone spray for my sewing machine instead of oil, which works great. (For my domestic machine- my industrial machine have an oil reservoir under the machine head that pumps and wicks the oil into all the parts).
And I’ve found it works well for locks, hinges, etc., too.

Okay that makes sense. But where does it need to be sprayed? Do I need to spray in the actual gear box? I haven’t taken out those screws yet but I can.

Yes that is how I want to respond. Calm, logical, unemotional. That Sydney restaurant story sounds like a nightmare.

1 Like

If you like how well silicone works, Tri-Flo will blow you away.

I was made aware of it over 40 years ago. It’s an excellent lubricant. Try it on sliding door and window tracks!

When my garage door was replaced, the tech used an entire can lubing all the carriers with Tri-Flo.

2 Likes

Yes we are in New Zealand. And agree with your comments re the open box. Yes, we don’t have Covid, but despite that, for the price of a box of cereal, I would think a new box would be preferable. I didn’t receive any feedback from my comments. There were other things I was unhappy with - an iron with dodgy wiring which had tape around it, but that had come off. I would rather have NO iron, than one that was looking unsafe.

3 Likes

Sounds like one of mine. A monosyllabic “Good” with only three stars.

That host (assuming Airbnb here) would get one star and probably also be reported to Airbnb.