Guest clearing out the toiletries

Oh I never thought of leaving sanitary supplies. Good idea.

1 Like

Why? The great thing about strs is once they leave, you never have to see or speak to them again :wink:

2 Likes

LOL! Seriously, couldn’t you see this pair actually booking @Newbiehost again in the future, maybe even IB to add insult to the injury, completely clueless of what subpar guests they’d been!?! No way, man. Scorched earth. He gone. Never to return. Never, ever, ever, infinity!

I leave just about everything in the units but I don’t have a good space or sanitary, lol, way to store ladies-supplies (so much more fun than sanitary supplies ,). No one really wants to see them in a basket or decorative jar and I don’t have drawers in the bathrooms, so I just put in the house manual that I have these kinds of incidental supplies as well as more razors, bath bombs, etc and please just ask.

On occasion, someone does ask and I put them (a couple of each: thin, thick, applicator, no applicator) in a bag with a chocolate bar, an extra bottle of wine and a hot water bottle and hang it on their door for them. If you have drawers then it’s obviously easier but I don’t and I enjoy making the care packages anyway.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time thinking about the words to use for that! “Menstrual supplies” is probably as good as anything.

I do have a drawer, so it’s an easy add.

1 Like

It’s okay but it doesn’t have the disco-ring that ladies-supplies has :joy: (insert Barry White voice)

2 Likes

The chocolate bar is brilliant!

1 Like

Never take the soaps, etc in motels or Airs. I always travel with my own. Seems really wasteful, all those little plastic bottles.
In my Air I have a large bottle of shampoo and goat milk fragrance free soap that come as a large log and I cut nice little squares to put in the rental, what remains comes back into my part of the house.
I put out a little basket of semi-dark chocolates that sometimes are all devoured and sometimes not.

1 Like

Er, really? I know you’re moniker is newbie host but Early check-in at dawn is called ‘giving them a free nights stay’. Selfishly, on behalf of all hosts, please let’s remain united about giving away things like this? We already are victims of travel articles which tell you “10 ways to ask for things from your Airbnb” and when I get a reservation request which includes the need to check in a few hours early, or check out a few hours late, or allow people to stay without adding my guest charge, I can’t help but feeling it’s because taking advantage of an Airbnb host is the equivalent of winning.

6 Likes

I can’t imagine it. One of the frustrations/joys of Airbnb is how different they all are.

This host also leaves a $20 bottle of wine and I wish they wouldn’t do that because now guests will expect it at my place.

A 4 star review at the beginning of their hosting journey seems pretty painful. I wonder how much it hurt their average? I avoid properties below 4.5 rating.

3 Likes

I will absolutely keep giving away things that don’t cost me much!

There are amenities that I can’t (or won’t) offer in my listing, and I still need to be seen as an attractive option. I have no problem with early/late arrivals and departures because I already have a minimum stay and several days’ buffer between stays. I understand that it might not work for others… they are probably offering things that I don’t.

3 Likes

For USA travel, we generally agree. We have found it is less important when traveling abroad, especially in Europe. A lot of great stays might be 4.2 - 4.5, and simply got a few too many 4 star reviews.

1 Like

Would melt in 10 minutes at my place. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Very few guests will know what the price of a wine is and the guests that do know, either also routinely buy the same exact wine or know better than to judge a wine on its price. There are always excellent wines that are priced under $10/bottle when bought by the case.

I personally know a load of wine experts, one of whom is a Master Sommelier that taught me this.

I have to admit that giving away things is the fun part for me, sorry.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek. I think mica put it best when she said she offers what she can. A bottle of wine is a nice option for longer rentals, especially whole house. A bottle of wine at my place would be silly for 90% of the guests. I do, however, keep 500 ml wine boxes on hand for emergencies and I always have an assortment of beers. If I spot a wine at Costco for under $5 a bottle because they are clearing it out I’ll grab those. Then if I need a quick “sorry for your trouble/congrats on your ____________” for a guest I have something to offer.

Resenting what another host does because you fear it will change expectations for all hosts doesn’t make much sense. Even the dimmest of Airbnb guests should be able to figure out that we are all different. No one should expect Rolf to offer early check in or parking for 35 ft of vehicles just because someone else did.

2 Likes

For emergencies :grin:

I used to provide a minimal breakfast including cereal, bread for toast and usual jams and stuff. Then my family said to me do you really need to do that and does it impact your rating and convinced me to stop. So I have and I’m not entirely sure what the impact is on my rating or booking. But it saves a little bit of money per trip.

And interestingly my last guest complimented me for having tea, coffee and milk available which I always do anyway.

1 Like

Oh no, don’t provide bread or you will have to clean the toaster. That will slow down your flip. We have a rule in our house that is don’t encourage the guests to use the toaster :grin:

Most of the snacks that we provide are healthy things or whole foods crap or special diet stuff so I like to balance that by adding both some international candy (which is an interest of mine) and/or some retro candy and then also some kind of low-brow American snack.

For a while, I was adding Pop-Tarts, which were pretty popular, but my husband put a stop to it because he got tired of cleaning crumbs and Pop-Tart guts from the toaster in between guests.

Incidentally, Twinkies don’t fit in a toaster :wink:

That has never been an issue for me. It takes about 2 minutes to clean out the toaster. And anyway with 2 supermarkets within 5 minutes walk of the apartment, the guest can always get their own bread. Pop-Tarts are not so common in my neck of the woods and people perhaps have healthier eating habits in my country. Plus while I have seen Twinkies in specialty stores, I have never seen them (or Ding Dongs and other food like that) in the local supermarkets. In fact most of my guests would have never heard of or encountered any of the Hostess cakes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

None of the kind of guests I get would eat a pop tart.

2 Likes