Guest checked in the stole everything

Thanks Edward for your reply. I wish I would have known this before. I have no insurance privately and was going by what Air bnb says. The “guests” took all documentation that we kept at the house. So know even worried about that. No receipts, I only have the listing pictures that were very up tp date. The property is in Mexico. The person handling this on Air bnb is not even in the USA and responds to us at 3am California time in a robotic fashion. Nothing has been done so far by Air bnb. I had to call to get someone in the USA to even help me get the pictures uploaded as the claims persons email kept bouncing back. So frustrating and heart breaking when all your savings and livelihood are gone during the worst time ever with the Covid happening.

Thanks for your reply-found out through the embassy that Air bnb should have closed since April 3d per Mexican government order but Air bnb didn’t until April 15th!! We currently can have any guests until May 1st.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear about the robbery. You should freeze your accounts with the credit bureau. The thieves might try to open accounts in your name since they grabbed your documents. Also remember to write your losses on your federal taxes.

1 Like

I don’t understand what this means. It’s not Airbnb’s responsibility to close, it is the responsibility of whoever owns/manages the property.

The restrictions for renting due to COVID were stated by the Mexican govt several weeks ago and most hosts I know had stopped accepting reservations and bookings by the end of March. I had a booking for April 5 that I asked the guest to cancel back on March 25, which she did. As Brian said, it is up to hosts to pay attention to govt, restrictions at a time like this, not just close because Airbnb tells you to.
But I don’t understand what this has to do with these people stealing everything.