Guest Check Out Ideas/Suggestions

Ditto!!! I will tidy up but no way am I cleaning on vacation!

Our unit has no dishwasher so our check out instructions are as follows: Please do the dishes (drying in the rack is fine), turn the heat/ac off, lock the door and message when you leave.

1 Like

Ours is a bit longer but in similar vein:

“You will find cleaning materials under the sink and in the storeroom, but please note that we do NOT expect guests to spend the last day of their holiday cleaning the apartment! That is our job and that of our experienced Cleaning Service. Your job is to make sure you have packed everything, enjoy a final relaxing coffee or glass of wine before your flight home and remember to leave the keys behind!”

This still does not prevent most of our guests (mostly young French couples this year) leaving the place in very good shape so the Experienced Cleaning Service (moi!) have a reasonably easy time.

1 Like

I guarantee that you won’t do that for a second winter season when you come home and find stuff missing or used up. If you have stuff you don’t want guests using, lock it up very securely behind a deadbolted door or better yet, store it off site. That also applies to any furniture you don’t want damaged.

I’d call that “dishwashER soap” (or better yet, give it a name “a Cascade tablet”).
Dishwashing soap can still cover a bottle of Dawn.

2 Likes

Good luck with that…my guests were breaking so many rules and left house in such a state that folded blankets or clean coffee machine would be the least of my worries

3 Likes

I have it in my house rules that if they are unable or unwilling to leave the place as they found it the $75 cleaning fee applies.

So you are welcome to stay and not clean.

RR

2 Likes

@RiverRock Perfect!! I surely would be paying it. But what if a guest thinks they “left it as they found it”, but it isn’t clean enough…?

1 Like

It will never be clean enough until either I or my housekeeper cleans it. So far it’s been left in pretty good shape, an easy clean for us.

RR

2 Likes

@Annet3176 has the guests do the cleaning. If I stayed it would prbably be cleaner after I left than when I arrived. It’s a model that can work as long as guests fully understand the good deal is offset by needing to clean. I’d take the deal.

3 Likes

I have had a few that have left the place spotless, I still cleaned the bathroom. Annette takes a risk because she relies on pictures from the guests, but it seems to work for her and it was after reading one of her posts I decided to give it a try. The thing is people do not read, so they do not even know they agreed to clean 1/2 the time so when I remind them to check the book for check out instructions may be the first time they realize they need to clean. For me it basically allowed me to drop the fee, be more competitive and spend less time cleaning. I am getting more bookings, I am also raising my prices a bit each week to see where the sweet spot is.

RR

2 Likes

In my listing it is clear the guest must do exit cleaning. It saves the guest in my 1 Br condo $120-$200 in linen & cleaning fees on a 3 day stay

In my prebooking communication:

1. Cleaning the unit: To help make the unit affordable, it is self-service. (no daily maid service ) You are responsible for the exit cleaning. Cleaning supplies are there.

Linens and towels are there. You must wash and dry the unit’s linens before you leave. (Many guests bring their own so they aren’t doing laundry the day of checkout)

1 Like

I understand.

It is:
in my listing description,
pre-booking communication,
the message I send the week before check in,
I call or text guest upon arrival to ask if the prior guest left the co do clean (I know they did-pictures),
instructions are on the refrigerator
& the day before check out I send the message
“…Since this unit is “guest does own exit cleaning,” would you please send me pics of the unit after you’ve cleaned?

This protects you if the next guest says the unit isn’t clean when they arrive. …”

3 Likes

That is why this works for you, because you’re able to do your own cleaning. I usually can’t as I’m at work. Therefore I’d have to have a cleaner scheduled either way and they all have a minimum flat fee so I wouldn’t save any $.

3 Likes

You know it is really confusing! I got the tabs so I could clearly say DISHWASHER TAB to make sure there was no confusion

1 Like

I really like this idea. It gives an incentive for guests to clean up after themselves and negates the excuse “I paid a cleaning fee so I don’t need to bother”. And you politely give guests the option to pay if they are unable to do this (maybe early departure, unexpected circumstances…whatever).

I’d be interested to know how often, if at all, you’ve had people opt to pay. Also, has anyone made such a bad attempt to clean up that you had to ask for extra payment?

edit For some reason I feel the need to state that this is not a trick question :frowning:

3 Likes

Has not happened yet, but a guest last week left $30 for no apparent reason, then I found the stained towel so we are good:)

No, some have done better than others, one or two out of about 20-25 bookings have not cleaned well and nobody has left the place a mess.

I am making less money per booking, I used to mostly pocket that cleaning fee but I am getting more bookings and making more overall and the cleaning is mostly easier. I still use a housekeeper once a week or so.

RR

3 Likes

Oh, ok. For some reason I thought you were an experienced host. But no worries, I still like your idea and hope it continues!

1 Like

20-25 bookings in the 5 weeks since I changed to no cleaning fee…

RR

Edited to add, I just looked, 25 bookings from sept 1 until now which was when I dropped the cleaning fee. Also 2 direct bookings in that time so 27

1 Like

“We ask that you leave used towels on the hooks in the bathroom, and all sheets to remain on the bed.
Please clean the kitchen of dirty dishes.”

Guests pay a 45.00 cleaning fee @ Tiny Tiki Retro Hideaway, and generally are not messy other than long black hairs.

2 Likes