Guest cancelled asking for refund

Why are people assuming that she cancelled because she booked somewhere cheaper?

In that situation though, don’t you think you would let the host know why you needed to cancel, rather than make up some story about how you had trouble booking and then asking to cancel? Seems weird to me.

1 Like

It might be a personal issue and the guest does not feel comfortable discussing it.

She did tell me she booked something else, I am assuming its cheaper but really no idea. She cancelled me not the other one so …

RR

So what, we are not a trip insurance company we are running a business. She cancelled well aware of the cost, yet Air has refunded her anyway.

RR

I really don’t care why, she booked, she cancelled and accepted the charge, then called Air and they decided to take my money regardless of the policy.

RR

Yes, I guess there are lots of possible reasons. The other place could have been nearer to something/someone she was keen to go to, it could have been a pet thing, or a kitchen use thing … it could simply be that like most guests, she didn’t read the listing when she booked and then realised that there was something about your place that wasn’t right for her.

She should have bought trip insurance, of course in the eyes of Airbnb she did, they consider us the insurer.

RR

4 Likes

Well according to Air, this morning at least, I was entitled to keep $121, then they decided to just take it away from me without even consulting me.

Now I want it back, from Air not the guest.

RR

3 Likes

Yes, too bad she booked a listing with strict cancellation, oh no I guess it’s too bad for me because Air just refunded her 100% AFTER emailing me telling me I was going to get $121.

Airbnb makes it up as they go.

RR

2 Likes

Wow. That is ridiculous. Keep us posted on whether or not they compensate you. They probably won’t.

I think Air should refund you the money too. Why are they always going up against their own policies. It’s fine when they do it, but when we do it we get penalised for not following their protocol. This double standard, plus falling revenues and difficulty managing guests and cleansers is making it very difficult for me to continue hosting.

1 Like

Oh yes they will, I am incredibly persistent and they clearly violated the TOS

I will report back.

RR

3 Likes

Sometimes they are more amenable to refunds outside the host’s cancellation policy if they or a travelling companion has got sick. If they say this is the reason, ie sickness, then point out that they booked another place in the same town on the same night, because when she asked for a refund they may not have bothered checking this.

That’s what travel insurance is for, Air really needs to sell travel insurance and stop making us the insurer. When someone direct books on my website, www.idycabins.com they are offered travel insurance, its about 5% of the booking I think. If they do not buy it it is offered again over the next few days. If they cancel there is NO refund, at all under any circumstances. I am not in the insurance business.

RR

1 Like

To me this sounds like she had made a mistake and I would give her the benefit of the doubt and refund but I certainly see your point of view.

Therein lies the most important statement of the whole thread. Never refund what is not actually in your hand, no matter how much you want to. It’s fine to promise a refund if/as/when you actually receive the money, but not a second earlier.

These CS children are out of control. There cannot be any internal accountability for them as otherwise they would never dare to pull these kinds of stunts.

1 Like

Ussualy if it’s strict policy they don’t refund guest, but I in any case I always refund if the cancellation followed almost immediately. We all make mistakes and it’s a harsh price to pay over 300$ for such minor mistake.Alao it didn’t effect you even a bit

1 Like

@RiverRock I don’t think your website is using https. I get this warning.

1 Like

I don’t provide refunds. Sorry you blocked my calendar, I provide a link to my Airbnb cancellation policy and tell the guests they need to speak with Airbnb Customer Service. If you book 14 days or less, the 48 grace period doesn’t apply. If their’s a death in the family, Airbnb will ask for documentation. If there is a weather related event, Airbnb will ask for documentation. All others, I do not refund. . For those who feel they should get a refund, you can make your cancellation policy more lenient. Airbnb will try to get you to refund but I still say no. And sadly, K9KarmaCasa, I do find that guests make up stories all the time.