Guest books room then tells me of feather allergy!

These kind of high maintenance, over dramatic :peanuts: give regular vegans like me a bad name. I also have numerous food allergies and severe intolerances (not in my head :wink:) and would never dream of telling anyone what they can and can’t provide me for foods or cook in their own kitchen. I BYO foods, go without and just make do without the fuss and move on with my day. My current guests I’m hosting for 2 months keep disregarding my kind requests that they only use certain copping boards for meat :cut_of_meat: (not hard but too hard for them) and I don’t make a big deal about it. They are nice guests and clean for the most part and there really are more important things in life. I don’t offer a vegan friendly breakfast or listing to my own guests so I definitely would be saying a big NO to this guest.

1 Like

Ha ha, I like the peanut emoji! Funny. I have many vegan friends who are definitely not high maintenance. I was a vegetarian (for ethical reasons ) for 3+ years back in college–just could not give up the dairy. :cheese:
I guess I’m not so “ethical” after all, LOL. I feel for you with the food allergies! The silver lining is that you probably eat so healthy because of it. I would hide your non-meat cutting boards, that’s gross, especially since you mentioned to them! I don’t really trust cutting boards as it is. I often wonder what is lurking in them…(germ emoji)

Yes I was thinking of doing that, I just bought 2 brand new black ones to make it easier for them to remember the white plastic one is for meat, walk in last night chicken all over one, bacon all over the other :man_shrugging:t5:

One of the main reasons I became vegan instead of vego, my uncontrollable addiction to French cheese so I hear you, there are some edible vegan cheese now, particularly houlomi and feta but still not the same as a French Brie obviously :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ll give them a try, they are probably available around here. Everyone says they feel amazing when they get off dairy, including my daughter. I’m just afraid if I quit it I’ll become intolerant and won’t be able to go back :open_mouth: the horrors! :wink:

You just can’t beat good brie. We melt it in the oven with genuine maple syrup and pecans in the oven. Soooo yummy.

Oh and don’t get me started about the gluten. I had a guest lose 70 pounds and her fibromyalgia after going gluten free, and she said she didn’t even have celiac disease! Need to try that one too. Gluten is in everything though.

Black mould was was more of a concern to me than feathers. Black mould is associated with lung disease, I think it is causal rather than a coincidence. Anyway wouldn’t want any in my home or listing, or any behaviours which grow black mould, particularly lack of ventilation or drying clothes in bedrooms.
Sounds like you’re well shot of the fussy vegans. You don’t want someone dictating or taking over the kitchen. They also sounded like a bad review on a stick. Why don’t these people book a self catering listing? Oh, we already know the answer to that, it’s far cheaper to push a host out of their own space.
I am so pleased I have tightened up on kitchen use.

1 Like

Indeed baked cheese is delicious. Grass fed cheese is higher in CLA, but all real full cheese has vitamins A, D and K in a readily available state so enjoy. The trouble with vegan cheese is it tends to be made from unhealthy fats like soy or canola, (omega 6 and easily oxidised and rancid) rather than healthy plant fats like avocado or coconut.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve heard the horror stories about black mold but don’t know much about it. Maybe he (the allergist quoted) was talking just about the allergies to it and didn’t cover other maladies it can cause. My sister in AZ had black mold in her bathroom and it cost fortune to fix and remove. Taking down walls, etc. It’s very destructive. Not good.

I thought CLA was good for you?

@Emily are the cheeses you buy made with the good oils or the bad? Curious…

Yes if the black mould gets a hold (ha) it can be destructive. It can be caused by a structural thing (leak) or much more often lack of ventilation and drying. In the UK climate you need to really work on keeping the humidity down in your house in the winter by using extractor fans, not drying washing, dehumidifiers and opening windows when the miracle of a sunny day occurs.
I have a tiny spot which tries to grow in the corner of my shower. Every couple of weeks it gets a spray of Astonish mould killer which really works. Black mould is the scourge of UK landlords, as tenants do not want to ventilate. I have it in my house rules for guests to use the fan in their shower, mostly good.

1 Like

Yes CLA is good for you. Perhaps the but in the sentence was confusing.

1 Like

This one I just found the other day looks ok, I have virtually no fat in my diet anyways as I don’t have a gall bladder and so avoid fried foods and don’t eat ansimsl fats so what’s left? He he

Macadamia is the best but for my fructose intolerance

Persian Style Macadamia Feta
BOTANICAL CUISINE
PERSIAN STYLE MACADAMIA FETA

Certified Organic
In stock
Certified By: nasaa
Country of Origin: Australia
Ingredients: Activated raw macadamia*(50%), activated raw cashew*, spring water, coconut oil*, olive oil*, pink lake salt, black peppercorn*, fresh thyme*, culture. *Organic ingredients.

1 Like

Indeed, not much left! :cry: But you’ve piqued my interest though! We have a natural/alternative-to-Wholefoods market just a few minutes walk from here. I’m going to check out the offerings next time I’m there. I really need groceries anyway. It’s been awhile, I’ve been surviving on, you guessed it, crackers and CHEESE! I have some artichokes about to go bad, maybe I should get them on the stove and get some roughage. :broccoli::cucumber: and maybe some :coconut::avocado:

1 Like