Guest books and day before check in she mentions cat allergy. We have three cats!

This has happenend before and I had to ask the guest to cancel which both did. It’s not that she didn’t read the listing but somehow wants me to assess whether she will be allergic based on other guests’ experience. I told her it’s shedding season and the cats are friendly and then had to help her figure out how to cancel :heart_eyes_cat:. No real question here but just wanted to share. Here’s her message below:

Hello and thank you! Sorry one last question - I have a very mild cat allergy and can usually be around cats with a Zyrtec handy but in your experience, do they emit a ton of dander where your guests get sneezy? I doubt we’ll be around much during the day anyway but I figured I’d ask just in case. Thank you!

1 Like

But a question for you is, did you refund them the booking money?

Yes I did because I made her cancel. She was willing to take the chance and she seemed really nice. And, now this is funny. She wants to come back and stay in late September when shedding season is over. The first one was charged a small inconvenience fee, I gave a partial refund.

It’s good if it was settled amicably. But doesn’t this mean you run the risk of not having the place booked for the cancelled period this late and thus might lose out on potential income?

Yes I did miss out on a booking as she cancelled yesterday for today but in this case I’m ok with it as we’ve had 3 bookings already this month and we’re kind of glad to have the weekend to ourselves. It just felt right to me to give her a full refund and not risk her coming with her allergies in denial. I was imagining a review,
“Hosts assured me that I wouldn’t sneeze from the cat dander but I did, although there was no cat dander visible.” Can’t recommend if you have allergies like mine. Nice cats though!

And my review, Ms. Sneezy was a lovely guest when she wasn’t blowing her nose. Loved my cats! :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

4 Likes

All’s well that weekends well!

:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

It’s happened a handful of times to me over the years - a guest has arrived and is mortified to learn about the presence of a cat. This is despite a pictures of my fur-baby in the listing and is also one of the first things mentioned in the description. I’m actually considering changing the main photo to a picture of her face and the title of the listings to CHAT CHÂTEAU.

1 Like

I have guests who book in part because they love cats.

Over 40 trips, I’ve also had 5 that proved to be “mildly allergic”.

I won’t bore you by mentioning that cats are mentioned 3 x, including bold type in the first 60 words; that there is a photo of one; yada yada.

Now I have a guest for 4 months who booked 3 months in advance, researched the listing in detail, and then announced “oh by the way”.

I have gone to ridiculous lengths to accommodate these people, cancelled at my cost, etc. But in the long run I learned a valuable lesson.

Every time a new guest comes to my home, I give the option of a full refund on the spot. Air will work with them to find another spot. If they accept - and they always do - what you see is what you get.

My current guest was told to keep his door closed at all times, to open the window if necessary, and was given a high efficiency HEPA filter. Between me, you, and the 4 walls, I will do my best to keep them away. But I made it very clear that he is responsible for his own allergies - as I am.

My terms are strict. If he cancels due to allergies, I will refund what I net in alternate bookings, ex Air fees and cleaning fees.

Enough is enough.

1 Like