Guest booked 15 days stayed 2 nights goes to friends wants refund

Based on the numbers provided by @dashiel, no, it doesn’t appear that’s the case, which is again what I expected.

Maybe we are missing each other…that number (198.85) is ONLY if she accepts the change request (or she can accept it but change the amount back as @Militaryhorsegal instructed).

No one here is down with @dashiel accepting that ridiculousness and there is no obligation to do so. I wholeheartedly disagree that there was any “informal” approval and I hope @dashiel doesn’t believe it either.

If s/he had agreed in the message to refund the unused days that would be one thing, but that did not happen so @Militaryhorsegal is right…it all depends upon how it’s handled going forward.

Do let us know what you do and how it works out, @dashiel. You’ve received some good “consensus” advice and I hope you’ll stand your ground.

1 Like

What I’m saying is that the number is NOT in line with the cancellation policy, which would keep the payout at 50% for all unused days in the reservation (i.e. a total payout of around $850 vs. around $200).

phew! guest cancelled , payout was as it should be and I already got a request for a couple of those days. Guests that cancel don’t have the option to review yes?
Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to reply,I really, really appreciate it.
Precovid all our stays were 1-4 days so if someone wanted to leave a day early I had no problem agreeing, this situation was so new

3 Likes

Yes they can. …

4 Likes

Wrong. Guests are prompted to review even if they cancel within 24 hrs before check-in. A source of much contention.

2 Likes

Yep. I had a same day cancel (done by ABB at my request) and I was promoted to review. I did not since the guest didn’t stay and they did not me.

Consider waiting until the very last minute to review this guest. There are several posts here on how to do that.

2 Likes

Yeah, hence all the warnings to change the number before accepting the change (glad the guest canceled - best route).

Pretty shady if you ask me…it flies in the face of the review policy (as you say…not in line).

They need to address it (I’ll be looking forward to that one :roll_eyes:) as it sounds like many times hosts don’t notice the change in dollar amount (definitely not an issue here!) and get hosed. :-1:t4:

1 Like

Nor with moderate or flexible.

They can if the ru didn’t cancel at least 24 hours before the check-in time (or 1500 if you are flexible).

My experience is that less than half the people who cancel and get a refund leave a review. Most don’t get the refund before the 14 day review deadline so they don’t bother, unless they are posted like my 1 star guest who had the door destroying dog she left alone against the rules. Less occasionally I have gotten a positive review even though I have refunded them…

:scream: what a nightmare! I had a tenant thoroughly destroy a door once. I couldn’t believe how expensive the whole deal was. (Unfinished slab door - no other options for design- $100, $60 delivery and then cuts for hardware, prime, 2 paint coats and then hang - almost $600 when done!)

1 Like

Luckily she didn’t destroy MY door but of her previous AirBnB (she got a new account to book me so I didn’t see the review). She told me about it after moving in. Then when I found the dog in her room alone AGAIN, and confronted her she claimed she didn’t have to follow the rule because she had informed me that her dog does damage when left alone…as if I had said…ok, cool, let him destroy mine too! Ugh. She cost me my superhost this year.

1 Like

2 Likes

It’s probably deliberate. If they do change it they will slow walk it. Just like removing outlier reviews.

1 Like

It seemed odd to me at first. They lose a chunk of change as well this way. It’s guest centric, their MO, so that fits.

But what are they thinking? That the guest is booking another ABB so they’ll get their money that way?

You’d think this cancel, follow cancellation policy, refund only if rebooked (up to what they forfeited) would be automatic as it seems the most fair to all. Of course as I type that I cringe to think of them getting that math right!

I found a discrepancy back in March. The only indication of what happened is a small date change in one email notice. There’s no detailed trail provided to me to check their math.

Unfortunately, this is the new reality of hosting during the pandemic age. Guests just don’t read or pay attention in some cases and then they don’t want to follow the rules or guidelines set up. We’ve seen all manner of this, over and over.

I would hold the line and simply follow the policies that you have set up in advance. That is the fairest thing to do for all of the guests that you host.

2 Likes

He wants to stay with his friends that’s what it’s all about - it won’t cost him anything with them.
I agree with the suggestion he has to cancel and honor the costs involved.
You’ll get good advice in this forum to help you decide.

1 Like