Guest Block Booked Local Accommodation

I would let her know via Air messaging that you know that she booked other places, and ask if she will be the one staying at your place. If she says won’t be but others will in Air messaging, tell her that you can’t book her because Air doesn’t allow 3rd party bookings and that she needs to cancel. If she won’t cancel, you will have the documentation to have Air do an Admin cancel, so that it won’t count against your three allowed annually.

3 Likes

I require a signed agreement from all renters. We have this clause in the agreement :
" Sublet Clause . You may not sublet this property or transfer this agreement. "
I have no reason to trust any listing site to protect my property. I take that upon myself.
I would definitely cancel a sublet. It is easier than going to court after the event.

1 Like

I basically have the same in my rental agreement.

Sub-renting or re-assignment of this Rental Agreement is NOT allowed.

@georgygirlofairbnb @LiveOakVineyard How and when do you get your agreements signed? VRBO sends mine for me, we do not have a real email address for Airbnb I am not sure the temp email would work on DocuSign. Have you ever had to enforce your agreement and did Air back you up? I could see them saying their TOS overrides.

Thanks

RR

I use SignNow.
The agreement attached on VRBO that is sent on your behalf is useless unless you have it signed and initialed, and also get an copy of guest id.
In both cases, VRBO and AirBnb, ( and all other sources ) I request the guest email address as soon as the booking goes through. It’s in my description.
Nobody can stay in my properties without a signed agreement.
I have been renting homes for 10 years and have never had anything significant to enforce, but if I did the agreement is very tight. My agreement serves to scare away the bad apple renters too.
I wouldnt rely upon AirBnb to “back me up” if I had to use the agreement …then I would go to court with it. The courts would make that decision, not AirBnb, and not the opinions of people who type on chat boards.
I cant imagine letting strangers use my largest assets without protecting myself. My homes are big and they are valuable. I think the world has gone crazy in trusting hired millenials to make decisions about people in our property! I read about enforcement issues and financial losses here all the time. The goal of the listing site is to coddle the guest. My goal is to protect my property and to earn top dollar and to be a responsible neighbor.
My agreement forces a guest to pay attention to the rules. There are penalties for violations written into the agreement.
I was renting before AirBnb began, and many of us “long timers” who were in business before the sharing economy began see things from a different viewpoint. PM’s also understand this is a business. It is my job to take care of me and my property and not the job of the listing sites. Their job is to advertise my house.
In my opinion, anyone who trusts them and their decisions, and their financial backing is foolish.
I am steadfast in my methods and wont be appreciative of any onslaught of attacks or opinions to prove me wrong .
There are a few regulars on this board who know me personally, and they will back up my professionalism and knowledge on this topic.

5 Likes

I agree with you :100: %
I did not realize VRBO was not getting the agreement signed since they did give me a way to upload it. I will tighten up my procedures and start requiring actual email addresses.

Thank you @georgygirlofairbnb

RR

If you cancel due to third party booking ( violation of Airbnb terms of service), ask Airbnb Customer Service to handle it so you are not penalized for cancelling

2 Likes

Third party bookings (i.e. reselling a booking on airbnb) isn’t allowed. So, if this happens, you can easily cancel. Otherwise, I wouldn’t prejudge what’s happening, unless you ask and they’re honest! Also, change your booking settings NOW to only book 3 or 6 months out. A year is too far away.

I was using blocked by default and opening up a few weeks at a time every few weeks, so I was available 3-4 months. Now I changed it to 6 months with smart pricing on, my smart price minimum is $675 a month which is more than double my rates. So I still need to go and adjust every few weeks I lower the prices of a few more weeks. For me it means that I am available six months out, but effectively only the dates I adjust the price. This gives me control of pricing, no ooops that was booked too cheap situations and my listings are available 6 months out.

RR

1 Like