Guest asking about possible visitors during stay - please review my draft "sorry but no"

In my shared space, I want to know who’s coming into my house, especially if they are local “friends” since they are over my head. We have a really bad burglary problem here, too. If someone asks, I might consider it depending on circumstances, but the house rules say no visitors.

3 Likes

Understood.

RR

I’m afraid I have to disagree with your interpretation here, @Helsi . They didn’t askis it possible” they told @Jeffersonit is possible” without asking. I agree that is rude, especially as it goes against the house rules.

That said, I would definitely allow these visitors. When I have guests bring visitors in to see the listing, I can imagine the conversation they had over a family dinner:

Guests: “We are staying in the best Airbnb! It is really beautiful and comfortable.”

Family: “Sounds great, could we stop by and see it? We have visitors coming this summer and it sounds perfect for them!”

Guests: “Of course! Stop by this evening and we’ll show you around.”

I see it as a compliment that they want to show off my place, and imagine it is also good for business.

2 Likes

But the guests brought it up to the host for approval. I do not see the issue, the host had the opportunity at that point to say yes or no. Rude is taking things personally, this is a business it is not personal. Heads in Beds!

RR

RR

1 Like

Two very different things…

These heads are not paying to be in beds…

2 Likes

They are not overnight guests. Heads in beds refers to doing what it takes to get bookings, and getting bad reviews for being petty is not conducive to that imo.

RR

3 Likes

I get it, some people MUST be in control. If that’s your personality then someone using such verbiage has undoubtedly offended your divine authority. It takes all kinds, that’s how the world goes round.

2 Likes

Yes! One of the things that’s supposed to be great about Airbnb is there should be “a lid for every pot!” There is nothing wrong with saying “no visitors at all for any reason. Your reservation will be cancelled and you will be shot at dawn for even suggesting I would allow such a thing!” As long as it is clearly disclosed in the listing. Then guests who are in the area visiting friends know to choose a different listing. And who cares if I or any other host here wouldn’t stay with that host?

Ideally, a host describes what they offer and what their boundaries are and they therefore attract the kind of guest they most enjoy hosting. I don’t think it’s any surprise that an ex career military host values control and order. LOL.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree. It’s no suprise to me. My wifes a Sr. MSgt in the USAF. I know better than anyone! LOL

2 Likes

As a teacher I valued control and I had quite a bit of it. I always worked jobs where I had a lot of control. Then I started Airbnb and in home dog boarding and had to start catering to the clients who were paying me. It’s been a challenge at times. LOL. Going around scooping poop will humble one quickly.

3 Likes

THANK YOU - We appreciate the many opinions as to how we might handle this.

Terry did not “ASK” (in exact words). But, we think her intent is a request. Not everyone writes well …

We talked it over and decided to allow this.

Interestingly, Terry (guest) has several positive reviews for her but has never left a review for a host.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t allow it, but I would let them know that just assuming they could do so would not work given the House Rules they agreed to. If they came back with an entitled response i would decline but otherwise it would most likely be fine, especially if they were respectful in every other way.

I stayed at a 2 bedroom basement suite in a home AirBnB recently. Booked it for my daughter and myself. When I met the host I told her that I may have my 14 year old niece stay with me but that was an uncertainty. She was very gracious and told me I would not have to pay any additional cost.
I would cancel the booking if I was not allowed to have my adult children visit for one hour!

2 Likes

@MaryJO

It is a potentially tricky situation. There is risk. We would fully expect that you were pleasant, engaging and nice about it - and did not behave in an entitled manner.

Our upcoming guest sent their request (we don’t view it as telling us) well in advance and so this time we CHOSE to allow it.

Hopefully, it will never happen. If a guest SHOWED UP and TOLD US that they were going to do X and Y - against our written house rules - that would not end well at all.

I would be on the phone with airbnb with no hesitation at all, and get them cancelled. In large part, this is thanks to the hard-won lessons from this wonderful community.

2 Likes

Now see, that is exactly what hosts object to and you are lucky that this host was gracious. A guest should never “tell” a host that they intend to have someone else stay who wasn’t on the reservation, even if the guest isn’t completely sure if that person would actually come. "I was wondering how you’d feel about my 14 year old niece also staying? I’m not sure if she will want to or not, but wanted to run the possibility by you to know if I should even offer the option to her ", would be the respectful way to ask.

5 Likes

Entitled. It’s not about her you see so why bother.

RR

1 Like

@RiverRock
I hope you give them a chance to cancel penalty free if you are going to be so strict about visitors. Is this a stand alone apartment or a room in your house?

It is not that “we are so strict about visitors”. Guests are obligated to review House Rules at time of booking. Ours include:

Only registered guests are allowed on premises. NO visitors without Host’s prior written approval. A $100 charge per day of the entire booking will be added for each unauthorized guest.

I have NO OBLIGATION to offer a free cancellation. Nor would I. It is a business. It is bad enough that airbnb will likely screw us over at some point (EC, damages, reviews, etc).

Our cancel policy is Strict. So - my initial instinct was to politely decline.

But … after seeing the incredible number and variety of thoughts, I took a pause and reconsidered - but only due to the nature of this particular situation.

Since the apt is directly upstairs from where we live and it’s a one night stay, we think it will be ok.

If circumstances were different, this would still be a polite decline.

5 Likes

If I read these rules, I’d feel comfortable asking for the permission to have a guest over.

2 Likes

That’s the second most interesting thing about this thread. No reviews of **hosts **? Hmmmm.