Growing Marijuana

For me too. Google will confirm that in the US, the most common mind-altering drugs in use today are caffeine and alcohol.

2 Likes

Tobacco/nicotine is one of the most insidious legal drugs. It kills millions and is extremely addictive for most people.

2 Likes

Justify drug use all you want. It won’t happen in my business

No one is justifying drug use. What we are saying, as business owners, is that if weed is legal in your state there is no reason whatsoever to not grow weed and do Airbnb. Thousands of hosts have already been doing it for years. There is zero reason to think that it will hurt their business.

The question has nothing to do with what you do in your own business model. We all try to cater to the kind of guest we want. The OP didn’t ask if you should grow weed.

4 Likes

And I answered by saying as a guest I would leave if it was present.

And that’s why I suggested the host should disclose that they are weed friendly so certain guests don’t book or if they do, they aren’t entitled to refunds when they cancel.

yes you are so right I am an American but shocked just shocked With bottles of Jack Daniels and tequila bottles and bottles of vodka rum just an astounding amount of alcohol and you give cleaning service you see 12 to 20 prescription viles from the US not counting what they bought here in Mexico but literally they’re on so much medication and with so much alcohol…As hosts we don’t have this luxury we have to be in our right minds at all times day or night hypervigilant to give hospitality and service most of us are too exhausted to drink… We are the lucky ones… They need all that medication to be able to function in their lives and be able to work and pay to come and stay in our homes … They need rest and healing.

Thank you for your voice of reason I have not been in these forums for 7 years and with good reason you have to sift through too much nonsense for the common sense I appreciate yours… I come to this forum open to learning how to get just that much better and instead it seems that you are battling ignorance.

The way I see it, you have people who ingest or inhale weed, people who don’t but support/have no issue with it and people who are offended by or see it as morally wrong. The people who find it morally wrong are unlikely to know what a plant looks like. Sure, most have seen the leaf symbol but to see an actual plant is a different story. If it were me and I even noticed it - and that’s a BIG if - I’d assume it’s a plant I am not familiar with. It’s possible it could smell enough to alert them, but if I was the guest I’d assume someone in the neighborhood smokes. :slight_smile:

I echo the other comments here about how it’s legal, it’s not like you’re giving them a gift bag of it, it’s not even smokeable. I would not mention it in your listing but that’s because I do have one problem with guests who imbibe - smoking weed stinks up the place and it drifts for a few hundred feet. Even if they smoke outside a) it gets inside - I know this because I let a guest smoke it and it was so strong that it drifted upstairs to our main house. b) I really don’t want my neighbors becoming interested in my business. A note of weed smell is like saying “Hey, I’m interesting. Pay attention to what I do”. lol. So all that to mean that by stating you are 401 friendly it is likely to attract people who do enjoy smoking (nothing wrong with that if you don’t care about my a/b points).

PS: I smoke very occasionally outside my own house but I’m a 1 puff wonder so, I made an exception to myself. :wink:

Not a problem to grow on your property if legal. Guests will not complain nor will they grab a bud. Your state is legal so no problem. In Michigan we have been legal for a few years and what a change in attitude. Attended a bluegrass rock concert this past weekend in Alaska Michigan for a Bluesky Bluegrass festival What a difference from 4 years ago. Marijuana was openly used and shared and this is/was a family event. The stigmas were totally gone. And I mean that. For a three day festival event there were no problems whatsoever with 3000 plus people attending and many camping for the three days. You could see and smell it being used just as drinking a beer or soda. So your state is new to legal marijuana but go for it and enjoy that growing has no negative stigma.

3 Likes

Wow!
Have you spoken to the Landlord?
So no one is managing the booking?
Are you a co-host?
What does your lease say - did you rent whole of house?
Are they accessing your part of the home?
I think you my have to call the Airbnb neighbour number and complain…

There is a property manager but he is also never around he lives 45 minutes away. I’m not a co-host. In my lease I just rent a room in the home. They have access to the only shared bathroom and the kitchen. Thanks for the number I didn’t know that was a thing.

I think you are in an awful position.
I would be giving notice and finding somewhere else.
You will be feeling invaded every time there are guests booked and no control on the situation. I would be feeling incredibly insecure and at risk as you have no idea who will be staying and I would resent sharing with complete strangers - you didn’t sign up for this…
Who is supposed to clean the entire place once the guests have vacated…?

1 Like

Haha, THIS. 100 percent agree.

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s the same conclusion I came to as well

Sorry, but this isn’t a landlord-tenant forum. I am not a lawyer, and I am not giving legal advice. This is what I would do:

1. If I have a lease, read it.
  2. Whether I have a lease, monthly rental agreement, or monthly rental without a written agreement, I look on the internet for a link to my locality’s Landlord-Tenant Law. Then I read it. Local legal aid sites may have lots of additional info.
  3. Once I have informed myself, I give my landlord WRITTEN notice of this problem by certified mail with a return receipt. Or I can call a lawyer and pay money for legal advice.
2 Likes

@pleasehelp It sounds like your landlord is a clueless idiot who thinks he can make a bunch of money renting out the basement on Airbnb with a so-called property manager who lives 45 minutes away and is never around.

These strangers are using the same kitchen and bathroom you use? That is totally unacceptable. I’m sure there is nothing in your lease about having to share space with a constant parade of total strangers, doing drugs, no less.

I’d find another place to live ASAP.

3 Likes

I feel the same…I appreciate it

We have weed plants in our yard and our listing we say “420 friendly”. Our business has not suffered at all. But we are in Massachusetts, where weed has been legal for a while. We DO keep politics out of any discussions, unless a guest brings it up first.

1 Like