Greed in charging cleaning fees

You must know some very dodgy hosts. Look around this forum for a few minutes and you’ll soon realise that all hosts here declare their earnings. We’d be daft to publicly post here as hosts if we didn’t.

1 Like

How can we not declare our earnings when they are reported to the IRS - at least US hosts or US citizens hosting abroad- just because Air no longer 1099s, does not mean they are not reporting to the IRS.

Sending you a PM…

2 Likes

Sorry but it takes way longer than 15 minutes to do a change over. Do you not wash your bedding after each guest? Or clean the bathroom? Thats an hour and a half right there. It takes me at least 2 hours to clean and re make my room, and I do not think that a £20 cleaning fee is “greedy”.

I’m a person on social security who does airbnb to help make the mortgage. I’m not getting rich. I hire a cleaning person who comes in during the time between one guest leaving and the next guest coming in because I’m too old to do it. The cleaning fee does not even cover what I pay her – and I also have to come in during breaks and do extra cleaning like fan blades, mop boards, under the frig etc. Not to mention hiring someone to come in and wash windows and mow the lawn. Any person who feels that it isn’t worth the final cost can choose to go to a hotel instead.

2 Likes

no one cares. hire a cheaper cleaner and stop complaining. youre welcome.

Your example of the $60 room sounds not accurate, or rather not typical for the area. I live a few miles from East LA in an OK part of Long Beach where many private rooms are in the $35 to $50 range for one or two guests. Most charge a small cleaning fee ($5 to $10) that is very reasonable. The charmless Motel 6 near me charges $90/night. Who would want to stay there when you can stay in a charming home like mine for much cheaper even with the cleaning fee?

7 Likes

YES PLEASE!!!:grinning:

1 Like

^^^ What Felix said. Really, who would even care who charges what or why, unless role-playing a ‘watchdog of social justice’ or just plain rolling for fun.

1 Like

Guests will never feel cheated by having to pay a cleaning fee because if the choose to book your place they’ve seen the charges before they’ve chosen to book your place. This cleaning fee nonsense is a non issue.

2 Likes