Greed in charging cleaning fees

Wrong. Your credit card already protects you from fraud. You just bought into the propaganda that paying Airbnb all these high fees will protect you. I think you should take your disgruntlement with Airbnb. They are the ones charging for nothing. They are playing you like a puppet. Anyone willing to pay a service like Airbnb 6-12% and Flipkey 13.5% for doing nothing but list a site is someone who is not willing to find the same places for minus those fees.

1 Like

Apparently some 7th graders just opened an account here and started posting outrageous things and personal insults just to wind us up. :smile: Ignore the children. :wink:

2 Likes

Where did I say that??? I have never used the word "spotless, EVER in terms of how a room is to be left."You are a real piece of work. Please… just go away. The nearby Motel 6 has left the light on for you. :wink:

4 Likes

Loady

Curious minds want to know if you are a host or traveler? If you are a traveler…why are you throwing so much money at Airbnb when they do nothing for you? Is Airbnb supposed to be more protection than your own credit card would be? Would you pay your bank an extra 12% to protect your purchases when they already do it for free?

1 Like

Yes, yes, I succumbed to the baiting as well. Just like stupid “Breakfast” guy. :stuck_out_tongue:

We all do this for a ‘living’ and to have some ignorant fool pop in and rile us up over nonsense makes me mad. This forum is an extremely valuable resource, and it hurts my heart that internet trolls can not just leave us alone and crawl back to their home under a bridge.

2 Likes

Let’s carry on friends, supporting each other and offering advice. The best thing to do is ignore this silly person. :wink:

4 Likes

ignore! ignore! ignore the children! This person is pushing buttons. Walk away. Let her/him think whatever the hec she/he wants. It’s YOUR business, YOUR prices, YOUR guests.

1 Like

Whoa! Don’t like some of the comments in this thread. :scream:

Some posters are lacking the community spirit and purpose of this forum. Settle it down guys. :neutral_face:Funny, but if we get a bad review on AirBnB, the attitude is to either ignore it or post a professional response. Yet on this thread, the bait has been taken?

Any moderators here?

With the cleaning fee, I read in another thread somewhere that a host separates the cleaning fee and lowers their overnight cost to imply a cheaper per night cost and subsequently be more attractive on the listing pages for their area.

I am confused a little here but I think it is because in Australia, the guest gets to see the full amount they are to pay each night. Ie, the cleaning fee is built into the advertised price which is a consumer affairs requirement. The purpose is to not spring any surprises onto a client.

For example, for a one night stay next week at our place, the total displayed cost is $130. When the guest then goes in for a closer look on our listing page, they get a breakdown of that price structure. In this case:

$86 for one night.
Cleaning fee $30.
Service fee $14.
Total price $130.

If they are after a two night stay, then it shows a total of $225. Same cost per night. ($86) Same cleaning fee. $30. Service fees now $24

So from my way of thinking, if I made my base rate of $50 per night and increased my cleaning cost to $66 the one night stay would still be $130 including the service fee.

Now if I did do this, then the client would be upset seeing such a big cleaning fee. And rightly so. If you stay in a hotel or motel, you never have to pay a separate cleaning fee so you can understand their concern.

When we ran an establishment with many accommodation options, we didn’t like a single night stay due to not being able to spread the cost of cleaning over more than a single night. So we just made that single night slightly dearer. Eg, a single night: $100. Stay two nights and the cost is $170. Three nights $240. Do your maths and you will see that there is still an inbuilt $30 cleaning fee and my true accommodation rate per night is $70.

People were quite accepting of this pricing structure.

The point I am making, is if you are going to have a cleaning fee, don’t just put a high amount in order to make your overall listing appear to be better value than your competitors.

On another booking platform, it was possible to default a single night surcharge price into your costings, similar to the way we can put in a different weekend cost with AirBnB. This way, it never appeared as a cleaning fee, just the way you price your accommodation. This would save a lot of grief that is being discussed in this thread.

Oh, and I just remembered this pearl. Four out of three people have trouble with their maths.

Loady;if its a ripoff to you you dont have to stay there; go to the motel 6!This is a free market and noone is twisting your arm! let me tell you it does not take me 15 minutes to clean my room;it takes a minimum of 3 hours!!! Thats why I charge $45.Remember we are NOT hotels!! Whether or not its 3 days or one night it still takes me 3 hours!!! I have to launder all the blankets and sheets,dust, scrub the shower,vacuum, mop the floors, stock the kitchen with snacks and clean the kitchen. You are showing your ignorance; you know nothing of this business;it is a LOT of work!

1 Like

why do you even care what we do?Are you jealous?I know your type! I would hate to have YOU stay with me!! You are a complainer and I bet you never tip or are very stingy; shut up and enjoy your Motel 6 with their stained blankets and hookers for neighbors.:grin:

2 Likes

Love that!! :smile: …

3 Likes

San Diego CA. Hired from Craigslist. Of course a cleaning company will charge more. She doesnt do our laundry.
The last B in BNB means breakfast. The correct term for your model is “B” because thats all you get. Many motels and hotels offer breakfast now. They are BNBs.
What smelly trash? Fish? If you have a dishwasher they put em there. Buy a dishwasher.
So when you stay at a friends house you pay a cleaning fee? Not everyone is a neat freak.

Hey loady. None of your arguments are making sense. It’s cool to have your own opinion but uncool to trash everyone else’s (especially if you do it without any basis in logic). This is a pretty supportive forum, so why not be respectful of that?

4 Likes

So typical in forums. Someone drops a bombshell and a long thread evolves. It has never crossed my mind that it was any of my business who charges a cleaning fee or doesn’t or why. Everyone’s case is different, in my case, I add 5% for a cleaning fee and 10% for tax in the absolute price, an approach that works for my particular situation; it does take us 3+ hrs to clean the place, and bring water, charcoal, general supplies to offer a fully-supplied kitchen, etc. Such an approach we find is best for us, probably doesn’t apply to anyone else.

As to AirBnB, the words do not have to mean anything specific, or follow any particular hosting theme. The whole concept of this type of hosting is morphing as we speak anyway.

4 Likes

Many companies are like that. We don’t expect a can of Coke to contain cocaine do we? :wink:

2 Likes

@jaquo What?! It doesn’t?!?! Let’s revolt.

2 Likes

It takes a lot to clean my 2 story 4 bedroom house. I actually charge the same as my nearest competitors for comparable housing. Now if they started to not charge a fee and raise their price then I would look at matching them but they don’t.

1 Like

I am slightly confused here. If someone feels cheated by airbnb or doesn’t like cleaning fees why not just go straight to using a hotel and save themselves the frustration?

5 Likes

Well that was the obvious answer, until this OP started resorting to name calling… which has since been removed.

Konanutz, you are the one getting very aggressive, defnesive and angry that anyone questions you. Replying to your tax questions, hire a CPA or enrolled agent tax preparer to avoid IRS problems and huge fines. Per tax preparers and accountants, 1099’s are only issued if people are hired for a business. We all know that most Airbnb hosts do not declare their full earnings to the IRS. They treat it like a business in earning a profit but like a hobby in terms of tax reporting.