Great question to ask guests when leaving

So what did you love about (fill in the place you live)?
I do this and the guests just beam with praise for my neighborhood, accommodations, etc. and say they will tell their friends and want to move here too!

I always ask two questions: 1- “Is it what you expected?” and 2- "I am thinking of improving in ‘X,Y,Z’ manner, what do you think of those ideas?

1 Like

@Mearns
I never give an opportunity for a negative answer. If one asks for a critique one will get one. It’s a basic sales technique, get them to focus on the positive. Since the sale has already been made i.e.: the stay is over I want them to leave with the best of their experience so I word my question, what did you enjoy most about (fill in with anything you want). Human nature is to complain if given the chance. So your question for me opens up thoughts of what was I expecting that I didn’t get. IMHO

5 Likes

Totally agree with you Maggieroni about it being ‘human nature to complain’ - you can pretty much bet if that’s something they want to do then they will! It is good to try and get some feedback though, so guests feel like they’re offering you something in return. That’s why asking what they loved about the area is such a good one. I’ve also found ‘what was your most memorable morning?’ and ‘if you were to sum up the area in a short sentence, then what would it be?’ are quite nice - it’s always good to know what they thought as a guest, as sometimes when you’ve lived somewhere for a while you come to think of an area differently.

2 Likes

Well i didn’t divulge in what context nor the timing I do ask those two questions, nor that they are in passing in general conversation… I been in sales all my life, and I ask no questions in which really I don’t instinctively know where it will lead, Example, when they arrive, I watch their facial expression, and they always follow with, “My, the pictures do not do it justice”, then I ask about expectations. When they leave, I share how I am thinking to improve it as if speaking out loud. I get a wealth of information and ideas from my guests with that one, and they always feel part of it then, ideas I immediately implement, so it will be better for the next guest.

Yes it is a unique island, and may be a risque approach, but has resulted in emotional positive reviews. (See https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4869137 )

1 Like

@Mearns
Wow! You don’t need to ask anything! If anyone complains about your listing just throw them overboard lol. Funny, we live on an island as well but it’s in NYC. City Island

LoL. Doing a bar/lookout lounge in that upper deck and saltwater pool with a sandy beach and totally indirect lightning indoors and outdoors; starting those things June 15th. I am my worse ‘enemy’, I swear no more improvements after that. Guests that arrive after July 15th however, I want them speechless.

1 Like

Very true people will complain if given the chance. I hate the fact that booking.com ask guests what they liked about the place, and what they didn’t like about the place. All of this is left publicly…not in private feedback. Most of my guests at least ignore the negative part or say they couldn’t think of anything. But then you get the ones who dig deep and feel the need to respond. One guest said something about there being a wasp nest in the porch eaves but since the wasps were not active she didn’t feel the need to mention anything until after they left.

Interesting…I just checked my reviews on there and I guess after so long they roll off. The first 4 are gone.

Let us know if you need help!! I am AWESOME at making margaritas, bringing people beers, and watching people work :wink::tropical_drink::beers:

1 Like

I tend to say ‘Isn’t this place wonderful? I’m so glad that you enjoyed your stay’.

It sets the tone :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This stupidity is on top of they not allowing hosts even to write their own description, which probably some fresh-out-of-college kid is entrusted to write instead; the description of my place didn’t grasp the fact it was an island. I had ~1~ guest from bookings, in the very beginning, a surprise by her husband, when she arrived she exclaimed: “I do not shower with rain water and where is the dishwasher, I expect a 5-star HOTEL to have one.” I told her to get back in the boat. Needless to say, there has never been nor will there ever be another guest I will even consider from that entity. Flip Key and their wildcard Trip Advisor lasted one more month.

3 Likes

“How did you enjoy our boundless, self-sacrificing hospitality and the spacious, elegant suite with thoughtful touches? Please choose from Pleasantly Surprised, Very Impressed, or Best Experience of My Lifetime.”

3 Likes

Haha. Yes always narrow the multiple choices between ‘Great’ to ‘Unreal’.

2 Likes

I love City Island!! Would you send me your listing?!

1 Like

What an absolutely charming place Maggie.

1 Like

@Mearns
Merci beaucoup!

I message them (Whatsapp or text message):

'Hello XXX, I hope you had a great time in Dubai. Have a safe trip back! Thanks for being my guest, you are welcome again any time. If there is anything I can improve, please let me know directly. If you liked it, please leave a review on Airbnb."

Its your home why bother. Why do you people grovel- you dont have to.