Got De-activated

Hi Mearns, most hosts on Airbnb work very hard to establish themselves within the network and to build a reputation that naturally grows and strengthens over time. A lot of energy is put into customer development and to have an individual or group of individuals within the Airbnb organization take it upon themselves to de-activate a listing for no apparent reason is just not acceptable. The people they are cutting off were loyal customers and in some cases solely dependent on Airbnb for their revenue stream. It’s just bad business and if they could be challenged legally for doing so in a class action lawsuit then I would certainly join one. Maybe I will create one.

1 Like

I tweeted directly to Brian Chesky and the other founders, got a response back from Chesky and resolution of my issue. Take to Twitter.

Unfortunately we are subjected to their whims. I’ve heard before that once people are delisted, there’s no need (legally) for them to give an explanation.

The positive thing here, and I’ve looked at your website, is that you have a great setup and can hopefully adjust your marketing so that you don’t have to rely on Airbnb.

2 Likes

There is always a reason, though it may not be reasonable. I get the impression that Airbnb is being pushed from so many quarters all at once, that it goes from one knee-jerk reaction to another to satisfy the loudest squeaky wheel.

1 Like

Hi Konacoconutz,
I willxertainly try twitter. Thanks again for your advice
Hope it works. Thanks, Chris

I didn’t get this notice. Maybe, since I have a private room, it didn’t apply?

True. But I’m sure they don’t mean add another 699 listings :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What a hoot!! Please tell me it’s owned by Indians.

Did you just call me a name??? :smiley:

@Robert_Dudley

1. When I made my post I spoke in general terms. To rebut with your specific experience means only one thing; your specific experience. And for each person who has your experience there is someone telling a completely different story.

2. Sorry if you don’t think Airbnb send mixed messages; the facts say otherwise. They emphasise they’re about home sharing and living with a local. They delist loads of NYC hosts with multiple listing days before their data is released to make it look like most of their users are home sharers. They start host experiences where you get to experience the city with a local host. All of this points to individual, tailored unique experiences with the basis being the sharing economy. Which means home sharing by the way… Airbnb recently ran a campaign in London where supposed hosts said things like: Airbnb helps me expand my shoe collection; I have a better night life thanks to Airbnb; all that suggests small change not a business enterprise. This ad ran in late 2015 early 2016. And who can forget the TV ad.

Airbnb has evolved overtime; its no longer about home sharing but they continue to pretend it is, while to be honest most of their money comes from hosts with multiple properties. This Is altogether different proposition but Airbnb has stuck with their narrative and continue to pretend it’s the same as it ever was. Meanwhile governments are noticing depleting housing stock as it’s definitely more lucrative to list on Airbnb. We all know the list of cities that have now legislated against Airbnb. Why do they do that? Because it’s no longer about the sharing economy.

So yes Airbnb does send mixed messages; multiple listing guys make Airbnb significant money, but they’re also the reason governments are starting to legislate against it. Airbnb literally doesn’t know what to do. Cut off the hand that feeds it or continue to pretend it’s all about home sharing? The latter of course.

@Zandra
Mixed signals? Maybe to you, not to me, their present journey is quite clear. I don’t care what they say, but rather what they do; their ‘romance copy’ is part of the BS of advertising and business. It is up to the individual to keep their eye on the bowling pin that counts, while the court jester is doing his entertaining juggling act with many.

Every single business morphs over time, they start one way and end up slowly drifting toward what turns out to make them more money, ~with the least amount of hassles~. It is the old ‘retail’ vs. ‘mass distributor’ consideration.

Of course, even as Airbnb experiments with other business models, and even aggressively pursues them, count on them to continue to ‘pretend’ they are all about ‘Mom & Pop Home Sharing’, that being their original beginnings and base model, and count on them to continue to pay it lip service do so to do keep that slice of the pie. That is how they got their foot in the door. But nothing remains the same forever, oftentimes for valid reasons.

Perhaps as Airbnb ‘discovers’ new opportunities, with far better ‘economies of scale’, such as multiple listings for example, and dealing with less high maintenance individuals versus business people (in a relative sense), perhaps they will find that model to be a lot more profitable. As they do so however, they have to and are confronting new more powerful lobbies, who are understandably protecting their self-interest.

Unlike you, I don’t automatically see the ‘nobleness’ of every local government, for I have found them eventually mostly to be just as greedy and politically/economically motivated as every other institution in life, and usually in bed with the local established hotel industry and Airbnb is indeed that industry’s Public Enemy #1. At least where I did business, in the US.

Yes, things are in transition, how things shake out, who the heck knows. Personally, if I was them I would never desert what got me there, the above is just offered as a guess as to what they are presently thinking.

Meantime, back at the ranch, I leave for Guatemala tomorrow, and buying my long-awaited ‘yacht’ (ok, is not like some luxurious thing), and will start a new business with it (exploratory cruises) and wondering how I can get Airbnb to help me market bookings for it. It is not like they don’t know already my offerings are a bit ‘different’. ":rolling_eyes:

1 Like

In summary : You don’t care what they say but what they do. So, seems to me you’re agreeing that they are sending mixed signals, even if you’re choosing to ignore some of it. In fact most of what you said repeated_ what I said… that Airbnb had changed, and that they were saying they were all about home sharing because it suited them to do so.

If you show me where I laud government action I’d be pleased; I thought I made objective statements.

Keep in mind your basic premise is: “its no longer about home sharing but they continue to pretend it is” . An absolute thought…

They may now be more than just one thing. Of course, they are sending many signals, as they address different economic segments, and use different language depending who they are talking to, so what? Are they compelled to use just one message at all times, regardless who they are talking to? The upshot is: It is not up to them to make sure we understand what is going on, the responsibility lies with us, because it concerns our own welfare.

Here is a great site for you to get supplies.

http://www.nostalgicimpressions.com/Classic_Writing_Instruments_s/155.htm

1 Like

@KKC …ooo, that was a fun trip to the past to browse through the supplies relating to calligraphy such as sealing wax and dip pens. I had a side business as a calligrapher and did diplomas and award certificates, wedding announcements and invites by the thousands, etc., for years until I got burnt out…even taught a couple of adult evening classes.

I still do calligraphy when writing checks and thank-you notes (and when I want to impress - ha!) but those were the days when I was really into the whole thing and spent hundreds in supplies.

Thanks for the nostalgia trip.

1 Like

Hi @SandyToes,

What’s it like to be a burnt out calligrapher? (That’s not a sentence I ever imagined writing.) Just curious.

The only person I can think of who was (probably still is) into calligraphy is a crazy uncle. No reflection intended on calligraphers, of course.

PS. Once upon a time, in my early teens, I used to be really into fancy pens and pencils. It’s funny to remember.

1 Like

Basket…

1 Like

@faheem Pardon the delay but your comments tended to set me to chuckling and then I had to take a breather and start afresh…several times.

For me, getting burnt out was because of the deadlines and doing endless names rather than creative ‘art’ pieces. The saddest job that depressed me for a long time was doing certificates to about 800 families of Vietnam casualties. It was for a veteran’s group and I ended up doing it gratis but it took a toll.

…your ‘crazy uncle’ (ha!)…a perfect note on which to end.

1 Like

Wow! That must be the latest??? LOL!!!

You say bucket, I say basket… Let’s call the whole thing off! :smile:

1 Like