Got De-activated

I was de-listed after having over 700 positive reviews on Airbnb. I differ a little from some hosts in that I operate a registered hotel. I want to escalate this issue and if possible bring together as many individuals as possible for a class action lawsuit for loss of income and damage to my reputation. I have spent some time developing a good image on Airbnb and even solely depended upon them for my income and then to have it all mysteriously and callously destroyed is not morally unacceptable and I doubt if legally also. Perhaps I can network more with other former hosts who’ve had a similar experience and then formulate a good stratigy to gain back our loses and insure this doesnt happen again. The airbnb people just don’t give a bleep what they have done you and me. It’s time to give them a wake up call. I would obviously prefer to settle this amicably but sadly I only get a ‘scripted corporate response’ and no help whatsoever from the ‘Help’ desk.
Chris 917-488-3932

You don’t fit the narrative Chris, and if your name is any indication, you’re in NYC where it’s become a shit show to have more than one listing.

Go back right now to all your email confirmations of future bookings, and try and scope out whether you have contact phone numbers for upcoming reservations. If so, call them and let them know that you are still prepared to host them if they want. Also, get on to VRBO and list your places, don’t waste a minute. I’m a multi listing host and I am very sympathetic to your situation, I’m really sorry. But you cannot depend on any one platform you gotta get out there and hustle!

Good luck to you.

4 Likes

Good advice. The apartment building Chris runs is on Avenue B in East Village and I suspect that as @superhostnyc says, it’s probably due to Airbnb cracking down on multi listings in NYC.

1 Like

See, I understand Airbnb cracking down on illegal hotels. But if you’re the one running it and using Airbnb to get guests, what does it matter? I have multiple listings also and the generalization of what is legal and illegal in NYC is weird. I’d love to just diversify and go on different sites, but man what a headache.

@ehv5002 it matters because someone operating a hotel will need to have various licences, and comply with certain health and safety/employment legislation. Someone running a hotel on Airbnb could easily circumvent all of that …

3 Likes

This same question was posted in the airbnb community, and I think there is reference to security cameras? So maybe we’re not getting all of the info needed in order to provide feedback…

1 Like

Airbnb has been delisting people in NY and other cities for a while. Their stand at the moment is:

“You only have one primary residence.”

And remember they’re doing this because the city and state want to stop Airbnb.

If you operate a registered hotel, how is it that you’re only on Airbnb? You don’t have a website for your hotel? Do you collect people’s information outside of the Airbnb platform? Airbnb is a listing platform.

Also, how did they damage your reputation?

I’m sorry you’re going through this and I can’t even wrap my head around the idea of losing all my income.

I actually wrong a long post about it:

Airbnb Closed Your Account. Now What?

They do not want to stop Airbnb. They want to stop short term rentals by people who are exploiting the system. There is a difference.

3 Likes

Even if you’re legal, according to the State and the City, you’re getting fined by ECB.

Bill deBlasio allocated about 10 million dollars to a task force to come after Airbnbs.

We, NYC, have been at this since 2012, it feels like yesterday when they told us at the State Assembly. We don’t want to come after you, we want the people with the illegal hotels.

Now it’s everyone.

@jaquo exploiting which system? Airbnb’s?

1 Like

Did they give you any reason? Is it because of,the multiple units? What a great idea someone had for you to contact all the guests who were canceled assuming you still have their info. Go for it!

Hi @Evelyn,

What is ECB?

Being listed on Airbnb is not an absolute ‘inalienable’ right. It is a private company who for some reason de-activated you. What that reason is, remains the million-dollar question, because you have given few details.

2 Likes

Yes, but I’m not referring to you or Chris. As I understood it the problem in NYC was that people were renting many apartments and then putting them onto Airbnb without their landlords permission.

The issue is twofold.

One in areas of housing shortage, governments cannot be seen to encourage short term (more profitable) rentals which squeeze housing supply further, adding to scarcity issues and the overall cost of housing. A governments priority has to be the people who work and Iive in that city.

Secondly some have used Airbnb as a way to circumvent paying necessary tax and licensing fees necessary when operating a business that involves multiple listings.

Believe it or not but a few tenants using Airbnb behind their landlords back is not the reason for the huge swathe of legislation that is threatening to ruin the idea of Airbnb. It’s that people aren’t home sharing anymore; what was the original ethos has now become a get rich quick scheme for property owners.

Airbnb are clearly trying to prove that first and foremost they are about home sharing which is why they are delisting some hosts with otherwise good reviews.

I personally think Airbnb sends very mixed messages; if you don’t want hosts with multiple listings Airbnb you need to start making this clear !

1 Like

Yes, because every time I go to our dashboard, I’m invited to ‘add another listing’.

3 Likes

ECB is the environmental control bureau.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’d never heard of it before.

Hi Jaquo, why is the question and the answer no one at Airbnb will give me. I had 25-30 legal units registered with Airbnb in a building that is actually zoned appropriately for hotel transient use. I am still fully booked with other booking sites but I really enjoyed my relationship with the Airbnb community and they were such a great group of people to host and also a fantastic source of income. The reason they claim to have de-activated me was because we maintain security cameras throughout the building but in public areas only (as is required). Apparently, some other hosts in NYC had been illegally recording couples and posting the videos and so they adopted a zero policy although we do not record people in their rooms but rather have security watch cameras for their safety. If I could get a satisfactory response from Airbnb besides their standard scripted one which does not actually pertain to me and my situation then that would help. The problem is that each time I write to the the individual ‘Sam’ who de-activated me I get generally no response and then if I get one then just the same copy and pasted e-mail that he sent before.
It is also very disconcerting to actually build up a business with Airbnb to have them shut it down with total disregard to the turmoil that results in not only my life but that of many others. I suspect it is not legal.

1 Like

Wait, they booted your hotel’s legal listings over security cameras in public areas? That’s wrong. Did you disclose there are cameras in your public areas?

You might be able to get a response by asking them on Twitter. Other hosts have reported success doing that.