Got 4* rating and was explained why

Thanks for the explanation. I have talked to a rep from Airbnb here in LA and he said that did not seem fair, he tooks notes and will bring it up to this contacts at Airbnb.

Here is the email I got:

I did look over your Superhost status and there are a few things I want to cover with you. To become a Superhost, you’ll need to have met and maintained the following requirements by each assessment date (January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1):

-You’ve hosted at least 10 trips
-A 90% response rate or higher
-At least 80% of the reviews you’ve received are 5 stars (as long as at least half of the guests who have stayed with you leave a review)
-You haven’t cancelled any confirmed reservations, unless they were cancelled under extenuating circumstances

[…]

While a cancellation can prevent you from receiving Superhost status, your 5-star rate comes into play as well. I understand they may have been a misunderstanding with the cancellation, but I have reviewed it and you did the right thing in cancelling it and I am unable to reverse it. However, once it falls off, which is a year from when it happened (…), you will be eligible for Superhost again, as long as the other requirements are met.

I hope that I have been able to alleviate any concern or confusion you may have had. My main priority is that our guests and hosts are happy and satisfied with their Airbnb experience, so please let me know if there is anything else I can clear up for you. I’m always happy to help. I wish you nothing but the very best with all your future hostings!

Kind regards,

What always surprises me here is the guest who books for obviously low price that she would never pay for the appartment and doesn’t even for a second think to inquire to just confirm such an unbelievable deal.
The same story was with my friend who when just started made a mistake and listed one room in her house as a whole house . The house has a large pool and absolutely gorgeous. Price for the room was 65$. House like thatis renting for minimum of 250$ a day.
If I looked at the price I would realize right away that the price is unusualy low for the whole house and would definitely ask prior to booking. Mistakes happen all the time.
4 people just cancelled when they saw the situation. One guy managed to stay one night, had coffee with my friend’s mother in a morning, chatted and said how comfortable he slept, only after calling Airbnb and cancelling and they refunded his money!!.

that is absolutely ridiculous. I was discussing with the last host I stayed with on the weekend, who is a superhost, how people’s expectations are warped because what Air puts out there. But what’s done is done, I chose no longer to get upset about it. As we stated plenty of times before, being a Superhost is not as great as it’s made out to be!

1 Like

You probably should have had Airbnb do the cancellations due to the water problem…I think if they generate it, there’s no penalty to you as a host. Otherwise, any host generated cancellation shuts you out of Super Host for one year.

I had a bathroom water problem, serious one. My guests were coming in two days. I messaged them at once on the Air BnB system, told them the facts as I knew them, and asked what they would like to do. I said please cancel if you do not want to risk a possible problem. I told them I could get the water on for them to shower or toilet, but must shut it down at once after they were finished. Odds were 50 50 that the problem would be fixed before they arrived. They chose to come, and I was able to make a temporary repair and allow full use. It could have easily gone the other way, and water use would have been a real hassle.
My rule is the first person to know of any possible hitch or problem will be the guest. Then they gain some power, and can decide to cancel or risk coming.
I understand if WE cancel someone, we are open to real trouble. Some people in the past have messaged me saying “My uncle died, I can’t come, please cancel my reservation for tomorrow and refund all my money”. I said NO, I can not cancel anyone, ever. YOU must cancel, then I will use resolutions to refund the money, which technically is No refundable 5 days before arrival. Had I not been thinking, I might have cancelled them as a help , and found myself in trouble for Host Cancelling a Reservation!
Best rule is always inform guests of everything at once, always tell them to make any changes needed, like a cancel. Host has a duty, and Guest has a duty, we should never cross the line and decide anything for them.

I had to cancel once for water problems (loo wouldn’t flush) and spoke to Airbnb to get it marked as an “exceptional circumstance”. They just asked me to send them the receipt for the repair to prove it was an unusual situation and were fine to let it go. Didn’t count towards my superhost (which I got soon after, but lost after that…)

1 Like

Wow…I didn’t even know that was an option.

SWOT doesn’t mean Strength, Weakness, Opportunity, and Threats? SWOT Analysis?

The guest did not understand that 4 star is a punishment not praise.

And they did not understand it is for the property as described and the price as paid not compared to a suite at the Ritz for 700 a night.

So I would argue it was not deliberate.

Goodness, I haven’t heard that for years.