(Gossip) "Airbnb plus"?

To avoid the hassle of cooking by guests, which often times would be a chaotic mess since they weren’t familiar with my kitchen, I put the following in Guest Access:

“Assemble a simple meal, but please no extensive cooking. Feel free to make tea, coffee or heat something in the microwave. You are welcome to store food items in fridge.”

I’ve noticed that this has cut down on the cooking, which is actually better for the guest because it seemed that they’d cook too much and have leftovers that they never ate. I also don’t take long-term guests, so all the more reason for them to not bother with grocery shopping and meal preparation.

1 Like

That’s a very good point. Also, information available to hosts about guests is significantly less than to guests about hosts. Why are guest stars hidden? And that’s just one example.

Yes, helpful phrasing.

Since my guests have their own microwave and fridge, what they use is the stove and very rarely the oven. Also sometimes part of the freezer because the little fridges don’t freeze things well.

2 Likes

I would stop using the whole “sharing” word, because it has nothing to do with sharing.
Someone took something that has been existing for ages, gave it a nice slick marketing name, and the whole world fell for it. But at the same time it has gotten a negative image.

Private rentals have been around for more than a century, AirBnB has not invented anything new.

And many countries already have huge communities arround them, in Austria for example they have the “Privatvermieter Verband”: http://www.opv.at/

Like AirBnB, I would not try to invent something new, but look at how others do it, and copy this,

@smartbnb.io the “airbnb plus” attribute was initially connected to the Sonoma Select listings, something that the company tested this summer (here a summary
all-about-airbnb.com/post/144746582091/airbnb-sonoma-select-experience-and-virtual-tours)

You can also find it in the URL on search result pages as a parameter (e.g. airbnb_plus_only=false https://www.airbnb.com/s/Lake-Tahoe?guests=2&allow_override[]=&ss_id=5pzum9d6&page=1&source=header&airbnb_plus_only=false&s_tag=TEVAKMvw&promo_id=234&promo_surface=sitewide_footer&promo_duration=long&af=746240&c=tumblr)

Thus yes, I’d expect Airbnb to roll out something more…

1 Like

I wonder if it will be to book an experience along with a room,

I got it! Here’s the code on my listing page:

“airbnbPlusEnabled”:false,“airbnbPlusMatterportUrl”:null,“phrases”:{“No photos yet”

So they’re associating Matterport with AirbnbPlus. Matterport is a company that does 3D imaging for homes. Check out http://matterport.com.

2 Likes

Yep! Here you go:

“Airbnb Partners with Matterport to Launch 3D Virtual Tour Pilot Project”

Very interesting, thanks a lot for this @AllAboutAirbnb! On this basis, it would seem like an indicator of some additional services for non-business like guests (breakfast, snacks, wine, 24 hours check-in).

And as @JonYork points out, it might be associated with Matterport (which I think would be super-challenging in terms of scale/cost).

Yes! Why can’t we see the guests’ star ratings is a big issue that has been discussed with no result on many forums including Airbnb’s own Community forum.

1 Like

We rarely get any guests who have ever used Airbnb before. For the last two years, I would say 95% of our guests are Airbnb virgins. So, we’re pretty much forced to accept everybody and seieng their star rating wouldn’t do us a bit of good. Although I agree with you that we should be able to see it. It’s absolutely ridiculous that we can’t.

Although when all is said and done, we’ve rarely had a bad experience.

Apparently, as big as it seems Airbnb is, it seems like they must be adding millions of new customers a year.

Sonoma Select was really hard on the rest of us who were not “selected.” I tried to figure it out, how they picked the select folks. It wasn’t being a super host, it wasn’t have a super place…I found out from a source that it was how much traffic they were getting on VRBO and airbnb wanted to entice more guests and get more of the traffic! A big picture for which you could not avoid would come up when you wanted to search Sonoma and you would click for Sonoma Select. Though you then also had to toggle the virtual on/off button too. I hope they don’t do it again or they will drive me to add the other sites too.

indeed all sonoma selects listings had the matterport integration.

You knew about Airbnb Plus 487 days before it was released.

Not bad.

4 Likes

This is why you rock, @smartbnb.io! Anything else you see on that “infinite time horizon?” :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Is the smartbnb.io site having trouble today? I don’t think I got my market report and yesterday’s was inaccurate. Kona said you posted about it somewhere but I don’t know where.

I just signed up for the Smartbnb trial yesterday and was a bit startled when I saw a ton of red Xs. I received my report this morning at 11:30, and all of the red Xs were gone. What time do you generally receive your report? I can already tell I’m going to get very attached to reading it every morning!

2 Likes

@crowntown. I am in the Eastern time zone and receive my report between 6:45 and 7:00 AM.

1 Like

Oh, that’s just what I was hoping for—coffee and the market report! :grinning:

1 Like

I usually get mine in the morning before 8 am as well. I’m in the Mountain Time Zone.

1 Like