(Gossip) "Airbnb plus"?

That sounds like something out of Harry Potter. Translation, please.

ā€œLooking for cleaning personnelā€ in low latin from the 21st century.

2 Likes

I thought it was ā€˜looking forward to getting rid of germsā€™ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nothing to add, sorry, just want to say how much Iā€™m enjoying reading this thread. @faheem @smartbnb.io you are so funny and clever :slight_smile: Wingardium Leviosa!

4 Likes

May I say I also enjoy your acerbic English wit. One of the things I admired so much when I visited your country was how witty and articulate you English are. Yes that is a generalization but England has a long tradition of literary and poetic writers and many of those are my forever literary heroes. (I.e., the Bard).

Yes, by this time of year I start getting ā€œhosting fatigueā€ really bad! The problem is that our busiest time (New Years and Rose Parade) are still ahead. However, November seems always to be slow, so Iā€™m thinking of actually closing now and again in Nov. just to get some rest and get caught up ā€¦ I always feel like Iā€™m way behind on everything that needs doing.
So after Open ā€“ just down the road in downtown LA ā€“ Iā€™ll probably close and sleep for two days :wink:
See you all at Open? ā€“ Lia

What? Just 2 days! Give yourself a bigger break than that.

Iā€™m feeling ambivalent about Open. Iā€™m in Long Beach so I i could go without too much hassle.

You could go and report back to the forum. Is anyone else here going? And how much does it cost? Is there an entrance fee?

Thatā€™s a good idea I suppose. I really havenā€™t looked at the info, but itā€™s taking place at various locations around downtown Los Angeles in hotels, bars and clubs. Iā€™ll have to investigate.

1 Like

@J_Wang: "Iā€™m feeling ambivalent about Open. Iā€™m in Long Beach so I i could go without too much hassle."
I too was having some questions when the speakers were first announced and it looked like mostly celebrities giving presentations ā€¦ then the list of speakers started growing. Also, there is something new which sounds very interesting ā€“ its called ā€œBrain Datesā€ where hosts can connect one-on-one to share experiences on focused topics.
I went to Open in Paris and really got a lot of useful info.
I am going ā€“ in fact I am speaking as part of a panel, on Sat., Nov. 19 from 11:30 - 12:30 in the Palace
Theater, called ā€œThe Power of Community: Host Connections Around the
World.ā€ My co-panelists are Peter Kwan (the 2014 Host Community Award
Winner) and Priscilla Torelli (who has done an amazing job organizing
community in Brazil). I am the 2015 Host Community Award winner for the
work Iā€™ve done organizing the Pasadena HomeSharing Network. If you do come to Open, please come
join us on Sat.

3 Likes

Interesting.
Are you allowed to bring up the subject of AirBnB making the conditions for hosts worse and worse?
How AirBnB is scr***ng your fellow hosts in Italy?

To me, the whole Open thing seems like a lot of hot Air, and very little B&B.

4 Likes

I feel I will be talking a fine line and it bothers me.
One of my key issues with Airbnb is that there is no way for hosts to contact each other directly. I my case, when I started hosting I wanted to meet (in person, not online) hosts who live within a few blocks to a mile of my home so that we could be emergency support for each other. The only way I could even determine who these hosts were, was to go on the Airbnb site and look at the map. Iā€™m not sure if the Community Center even existed on the Airbnb site. So I did message hosts through the booking inquiry system. But, I have been warned not to say that at Open because it is a violation of the terms of the platform ā€“ could be considered spamming and could get me in trouble. Anyway, from the first 20 that I contacted, 12 show up for coffee at my house and I continued reaching out through the inquiry method until we had 60 hosts on our list. We finally got hooked up to the Meetup section of the Community Center and now have around 80 hosts on our list ā€¦ but it is a very slow and frustrating process because Airbnb makes it so hard to contact each other in the interest of privacy.

2 Likes

Privacy? Naahhā€¦

Divide et impera!!

Heaven forbid we should join together! :wink: :laughing:

The cynic in me wonders what in the world could the open provide that we donā€™t already share through this forum and possibly other Air forums? I would also LOVE to hear the official response on whether and when the Italy downers will also soon be rolled out on all of us? Are we just going quiet into that good night? Everyoneā€™s ok with that?

You all should form your own little regional ā€œsharing economyā€ site. Eighty hosts is a good amount. Each host could link their website.

Actually, we are working on that ā€¦ but first we are working with our city ā€“ Pasadena, CA ā€“ to create a code that will fully legalize home sharing. We donā€™t want to ā€œcome outā€ and advertise too much until we are all fully legal. Right now weā€™re in a gray area ā€“ not illegal, but not fully legal and paying TOT. That is our goal. You can see our placeholder website here ā€“ http://pasadenahomesharingnetwork.com. Our plan once legality is achieved is to have members links on this site.
We also joined our local Chamber of Commerce. So we have a link on their website to ours ā€¦ then eventually to our members :slight_smile: ā€“ Lia

2 Likes

Iā€™m happy to write about membersā€™ rentals (with links) on TRAQUO :slight_smile:

1 Like

My listings say use of full kitchen. I have a guest thatā€™s been here for months and never used the kitchen. Thereā€™s a small fridge and microwave in the rental room. Iā€™m really liking not sharing the kitchen. Iā€™m considering changing my listing to either only very limited use of the kitchen, or no use at all. So many people eat out or eat cereal or microwave dinners, it might not reduce my bookings by much.

@reader99 In case this might be helpful, I list the kitchen as an amenity but this paragraph exists in the listing:

You are always welcome to use the microwave and countertop oven in the kitchen, but since we use the kitchen for preparing our own meals from approximately 5pm-8pm, if you wish to do any complicated cooking, we would need to discuss your needs and how best to accommodate them.

3 Likes