Going to miss superhost by 1/2 of a guest. Is it really that big of a deal?

The next Superhost assessment deadline is 7/14. My 10th guest will checkout the morning of the 15th. So only 9 guests if no one cancels between now and then. According to Airbnb’s help section, Superhost is a thing you want to strive for. I have two available days within that period, so I dropped my prices a bit for those two days. I could take Airbnb’s word for it, or I could ask you good people here if Superhost is all that when it comes to priority placement in Airbnb, or all the other perks they list? If not this time, I’ll definitely be there in September. I should note, my first guest was on 6/16/18.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1319/how-do-i-track-my-superhost-status

1 Like

Yes, I have read what it takes to be a Superhost (although my account says the assessment period ends 7/14 and not 7/1 as in the link you posted) and that was what prompted me to ask the question since I’m so close. My question was to real hosts about whether the Superhost status really does help with priority placement in Airbnb and worth all the perks. I’ve read in multiple search threads here a mixed bag of opinions.

… Btw, I meet all of the other requirements except for 10 completed hosting of guests. My 10th guest checks out on the morning of 7/15.

I think the deadline is 7/1. The guests have 2 weeks after checkout to post their reviews. The superhost is based on the reviews. So - your last guest for this superhost time period would be checking out on 7/1, and leaving a review by 7/14, which airbnb then calculates if you made it or not.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it helps because I’ve been a SH every quarter except my first one. That was back in 2014 and so many things have changed with both Airbnb and my listing that it’s impossible to compare. My opinion is that it can’t possibly hurt, it can only help. There is s SH filter and I personally always use it when searching for a place to stay. If nothing else it filters out all the new hosts with no reviews. I value quality and predictablity over getting a bargain so I’m looking to only stay with well established hosts.

I expect some people to lose their status with the upcoming assessment due to the the higher standards so maybe we will get a good size control group in the coming months.

And the cut off is the 1st so you aren’t going to qualify this quarter.

3 Likes

"Real hosts? Why not just come out and insult 90% of the hosts here? And those of us who are and have been Superhosts don’t think that’s a smart way to put things either!

FWIW, yes, being a Superhost is worth the effort, but it takes “real” work, not just playing numbers games. To be a “real” Superhost you have to be dedicated to providing The Best Experience to your guests, all the time, every time, not just enamored of making some magic goal.

4 Likes

I don’t think she meant it as an insult. I think she meant ask hosts, not Airbnb who is not honest about the value of it. And there have been many posts here in the past where “real hosts” say it doesn’t matter. I think if you can’t qualify for Superhost for what ever reason it’s just best to dismiss it and not worry over it and that’s how some hosts cope with not having the designation.

8 Likes

To my mind no one should get SH status until they have hosted at least 50 guests. Someone could get 10 nightly guests in 2 or 3 weeks in a new place with no prior experience and all new gear so it all looks lovely and clean and they are fresh and keen. The real test is to keep it looking that way three years later and keep guests happy after the new host shine wears off and guest fatigue sets in. That should be when you’ve shot and eaten the huskies and need this forum to keep you trekking towards the South Pole of SuperHost Status.:rainbow:

6 Likes

That’s not what I meant. I meant asking hosts rather than just believing what Airbnb states.

4 Likes

I’m not entirely convinced about the benefits of being what Kona calls a SuperHo. I’ve recently been conducting my own totally unscientific research about why people have chosen us - i.e. I have asked them! The results so far have been:

1. The pool.
  2. The photos of the pool
  3. The price was reasonable (note to self: raise price!)
  4. You seemed like a nice person from your profile …

The only person to mention SuperHo status was someone who is one herself. I asked some of them if it made any difference to them - most admitted they didn’t really know what it meant and one guy actually said he’d once stayed with a SH “and it was terrible”!

On the other hand it does seem that it makes a difference to placing in the listings, but that’s really the only advantage I see.

Hi @Malagachica

I agree for me it’s the benefits of being a superhost that I get from Airbnb rather than a perceived benefit from guests that make a difference.

As marketing and comms is my day job, I am keen on understanding why people chose my place so I can focus on these areas in my listing and keep a spreadsheet of their responses.

This is what I’ve found.

1. Photos
  2. Reviews/Five star status
  3. Comprehensive description of location and facilities at my listing and added extras I offer.
  4. My profile
  5. I’d say about 10 in three years have mentioned by Superhost status.

If you’re killing it in the hosting game, and your listing hits a sweet spot where you have good guests, you almost can’t help but be a SuperHo. If you are in a less than ideal hosting situation even your best efforts won’t get you there. I wouldn’t make it a goal, just do your best and see what comes of it.

The only two benefits I’ve received of it are shorter wait times when I call customer service and a freebie mattress the company was only offering to SuperHos.

When I’ve asked guests why they chose my place, it was the pictures and excellent reviews. Excellent reviews lead to SuperHo, but the badge itself doesn’t seem to hold much meaning for guests.

1 Like

What company? If you are talking about either of the mattress offers I’m familiar with it wasn’t Airbnb that offered it, it was the mattress company, just to clarify. I don’t want people thinking Airbnb gave away mattresses. And for the record they did in fact give them some non SH.

It’s not the photos per se that attract guests, it’s what the photo is of. If it’s a beautiful, in focus, well lit picture of a _space the guest finds appealing great. I’ve seen many great pictures of places I wouldn’t stay because the design aesthetic doesn’t appeal to me. Guests like the photos of my gleaming new bathroom because it’s a new bathroom, not because they are good pictures.

Guests saying they liked the pictures, not the description is just saying they didn’t read the listing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I haven’t kept a spreadsheet but when I’ve asked the number one reason guests choose my place is location.

1 Like

Tuft & Needle. I did try to phrase it as “the company (Tuft & Needle) only offered to SuperHos”. In that particular giveaway you had to be a SH. I remember a few companies doing similar promotions around that time (3-4 years ago?) I’m sure had different terms.
Indeed, Airbnb itself has only sent me what I’d consider promotional materials as SH Swag: the book Airbnb Story and a couple issues of their magazine that was really a brochure for far-flung and glamorous Airbnbs. I recall them giving away smoke detectors at one point, but was already set on the that front.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’m talking about. I’d rather doubt most people would know what Superhost is nor would care. I’m not into titles either, however, if there are benefits from Airbnb’s side, I’m listening - closely. I’m in the process now of finding a professional photographer because I can use some improvement in that area.

Benefits are all listed on their Help Centre if you search under superhost

I missed it one quarter, AVV screw up, got it sorted.

My busiest quarter.

You are supposed to be answered quicker if you need to call.

Becoming a superhost is a rather meaningless carrot that Airbnb dangles in front of hosts. Now don’t get me wrong - we have been superhosts since the first assessment and at that time - that very first time you get the badge - you glow with pride.

But it means very little. It’s a bit like getting a gold star for an essay at school - great for the ego but that’s about all.

We’ll probably lose it at some time due to the new, stiffer requirements but I care more about making a profit than having a meaningless badge.

As @KKC says, some people prefer to stay with superhosts but most guests don’t even know what it means.

3 Likes

Yep, I read about the benefits on Airbnb’s website. I wanted to hear the perspective of hosts who are in the field doing the work.