Glasgow city council regulations re Airbnb short let 3/4 days

Hi,

I have a double roomx1 for 2 pax included breakfast this is all …no cooking or use of other rooms except bathroom.
I received a message from our factor as using your flat other than a residential dwelling house contravenes the deed of conditions and an application is to be submitted to Glasgow City council is this correct note the flat is owner not Glasgow Housing. Thanks to advise or have information about this

Jean

Have you looked here?

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=15884

I don’t know about Glasgow but where I live the county or city council can and does regulate what you can do and where you can do it with regard to private property. In my city you now must get a permit to have a vacation rental and submit to annual inspections plus the property must be owner occupied.

1 Like

Hello @JeanG69

Sorry I don’t know what a factor is? I also wasn’t sure what you meant by ‘the flat is owner not Glasgow Housing’

If you live in social housing, you may not be allowed to do STRs for commercial gain. Did you check your lease to see what it says?

In addition, it might be that if you want to do STR in your city you need to apply for a permit. If you give Glasgow Council a call I am sure they can advise you.

@Magwitch are you able to help on this at all?

1 Like

Thank you for the advise a Factor is an agency specific in Scotland not in
England which is to arrange and look after the property eg garden communal
entrance …we do own the property if get a permit to have a vacation
rental and submit to annual inspections by the Council will do so surely it
is not on our interest to do thing incorrect… pretty peculiar as Airbnb
is a system where owner have spare rooms, sofa bed sometimes to let them as
long as regulations are respected we should entitle to let it … I will
give a call as suggested and will check also I will update the Forum as
this will help others hosts.
Thanks again have a Great Evening
Jean

1 Like

Hello Jean,

I’m a town planner who works in Scotland. From the information you’ve given I would advise that, from a planning perspective, your factor is incorrect and that you do not need planning permission for letting out one room in your flat on a short term basis.

Glasgow City Council have developed local policies on various types of hosing need. I would encourage you to read this document - especially Section 4B:

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=20795

Paragraph 4.13, which covers flats and short term renting, is directly relevant to your case. It advises:

“Planning permission is deemed not to be required where only one lodger is accommodated in addition to one resident family.”

I would suggest refering your factor to this guidance. You could also approach the Planning team at the City Council for confirmation.

This is only the planning perspective and there may be other controls, such as your conditions for your building. The Scottish Government are also looking at creating further regulation of short term rentals so the situation could change nationally very soon.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi Jamsco,

Thank you for your reply, I have contacted the landlord register + council tax so far there is no reason or anything to be submitted for short let 3/4 occasionally however both mentioned advised me to contact the valuation assessor team of the city council to get rules and regulations for Glasgow and our property.
I trust the factor message to be incorrect too as I trust why we could not host as long as we comply to all of them as owners. I have to confess we are experiencing a very “unfriendly” neighborhood for years and do suspect or might be another issue underneath the factor message. Surely it is not on our interest to act incorrectly and we want to make sure we comply with all rules and regulations specific to Glasgow, our property and area.
I have emailed the city council assessor valuation, council tax, landlords register and awaiting for their updates check rules and regulations too. So far as per calls no reason why we coul not host.
Many thanks again for your response
Jean

Hi Jamsco,

Thank you for your reply, I have contacted the landlord register + council tax so far there is no reason or anything to be submitted for short let 3/4 occasionally however both mentioned advised me to contact the valuation assessor team of the city council to get rules and regulations for Glasgow and our property.
I trust the factor message to be incorrect too as I trust why we could not host as long as we comply to all of them as owners. I have to confess we are experiencing a very “unfriendly” neighborhood for years and do suspect or might be another issue underneath the factor message. Surely it is not on our interest to act incorrectly and we want to make sure we comply with all rules and regulations specific to Glasgow, our property and area.
I have emailed the city council assessor valuation, council tax, landlords register and awaiting for their updates check rules and regulations too. So far as per calls no reason why we coul not host.
Many thanks again for your response
Jean

I’m certain it should not affect your council tax situation either - there’s no change of use (to a business) and renting to a lodger (short term or otherwise) cannot affect your valuation. Hopefully the assessors confirm that to you. I am also sure you will not require landlord registration for a lodger.

I hope it goes to plan for you.

1 Like

Hi Jamie,

Thanks again, as mentioned it is better to check it all, according the factor message as submission to Glasgow city council and better to get a written confirmation from them we are entitle to go ahead with short term let 3 to 4 days occasionally… My listing house rules clearly stated respect of neighbours which I wonder why neighbours report and concern. Factor message end or finish as neighbours may seek legal advise up to them to do so. As soon as I have the response from City council I will update there are tones of Airbnb in Glasgow, as owner I don’t understand why I should not be able to host respecting rules and regulations. Cheers J

Here an update as in Glasgow you would have to turn your property from "domestic " to a “non domestic” property to be able to host as Airbnb… Does anyone can confirm thank you and a great week end
Jean

I refer to the e-mails detailed below.

The original e-mail from you Factor I believe is alluding to the fact that they believe that you will need Planning Permission to change the use of your property from Domestic use (someone sole or main residence) to that of Non Domestic use (commercial short term letting).

The Glasgow Assessors office cannot advise on the Planning Process or whether you need planning permission.

The Planning Dept. of Glasgow City Council Contact details are available

BSc MRICS AEA (Cert - Scotland)

Glasgow City Assessor

Glasgow