Getting rid of cooking smells

I have a nice young couple stay about a week and when I went to clean they either used a lot of miso or fish sauce because the smell is quite strong. I have already sprayed febreeze and vacuumed and using pinesol for the floor but still the smell sort of lingers. What do you all do to get rid of strong cooking smells out quickly. I really can’t open the windows because we live in Miami and bugs would get in especially on the rainy day.

If you have enough time, sprinkle (or place on plates) a lot of baking soda and close off the room. If you can leave it there for a day or so, that would be best. Or place a few plates of it close to the source, like perhaps the oven. Either vacuum it up or throw it out…it’s subtle, but it will capture some of the odor.

Bowls of vinegar placed out will help absorb, too. The vinegar smell will go away.
I also found this recipe for air freshener at BHG.com:
Air freshener: Add a 1/2-teaspoon vinegar to a 4-ounce spray bottle, then fill with distilled water, plus a few drops of your favorite essential oil, if desired.

A plate or bowl of vinegar every time. It really does work!

I was going to add put out the bowl of vinegar. I also turn on the ceiling fans. I’ve also had fish cookers… ugh. Sometimes there is not a damn thing you can do to get rid of the smell, and I am just glad that it is cooking smells instead of dead mouse odor. I recently had that!

Ugh Kona that smell takes forever to get rid of especially if they died behind a wall.

1 Like

I had sticky traps for roaches and two mice got caught in it. I do regret to say that I have to use D-con for the mice. I cannot have mice in the studio and I get them without D-con. :frowning:

Vinegar and baking soda are good ideas as others have mentioned. Baking soda can be sprinkled on carpet and then vacuumed. I use vinegar to wipe down all surfaces for regular cleaning. I leave a small bowl of baking soda in my microwave (no one ever cleans the insides) as well as bowls of vinegar and baking soda just around sometimes as others mentioned.

I had a guest who liked to fry eggs every morning for breakfast and make curries at least once a week. It permeated my entire house. When I went to the gym, my gym clothes smelled like curry. In fact, all my clothes smelled like curry. I was a walking curry ad. It was not nice. I was not happy. I’ve been looking on this forum to try and see what can you do about smelly people and cooking. I did a lot of surfing on the net on ‘how to get rid of curry smells’ - the curry is bonded with oil molecules which likes to stick on all surfaces. Hence why it’s necessary to wash everything with vinegar including my laundry!

Also, I found the best 2 items to get rid of curry and fry smells in my experience:

1. lampe berger (works way way better than any random dollar store scent stuff or febreze or whatever average cleaner you can buy in a store)
  1. a simmer pot (i used a combo of whatever I had at home - cinnamon stix, orange peels, lemon peels, cloves, nutmeg and it actually worked against curry) + I double strengthened it by boiling it in vinegar, not just water

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/5-simmer-pot-recipes-to-make-y-129977

Give it a try (=