Getting rained on when going to the bathroom

It really isn’t though… Sneaky is not best. Hitting them over the head with the truth is best. Cover all bases. Like Susanne said, she makes guests confirm that they have understood the bathroom situation before booking! Great idea!

Ok… I think maybe a sentence about the typical Indian style bathroom and what to expect may be in order. Also suggest they bring shower shoes? I bet you could buy them for pennies in any nearby market. Also it occurs to me that if using the other bathroom would be awkward for everyone, just make it off limits. Your house, your rules.

1 Like

So sweet! I just wish listed you!

1 Like

Hi @cabinhost,

I took a look at Amazon India. It’s certainly possible to have a small mirror on a stand and leave it in a drawer in that room. But what’s the probability someone will simply walk off with it? (I said something similar in another thread, and was laughed at, but people do go off with things on occasion.) Attaching it somewhere is an option, but I’m not sure of a good place. And would it be easy to detach if needed?

It’s probably easier to just include a few lines about it in the guest guide and then forget about it. It’s hard to remember to customize messages to people, especially if one is sending them at 2 am. (People have a tendency to send requests in the early am Indian time.)

Hah. People who are travelling really need to figure out appropriate attire and footwear. For the monsoons appropriate footwear is either sandals or waterproof boots. Anyone who comes in Bombay this time of year and is not prepared for the monsoons is going to have a shock.

My father recalls when his family home was getting inside toilets - the older people thought that was disgusting to bring that action into the house. Until then the toilet was in a little room off the porch.

1 Like

OK…if you want to plant seeds in the guest’s head to not complain about having to walk in the rain to the garden bath…then be helpful by recommending clothing gear for monsoon season. Yes, guests should do their own research. But remember, just like in sales…you are doing this to negate a negative review by some ignorant guest. It’s all about planting seeds.

As far as makeup mirrors…sure guests can walk off with it and I check during every turnover to make sure those items are still there. A very common thing I have heard is that a husband will pack up belongings last minute and also pack up the hair dryer. Some hosts have resolved this issue by lamenting the property name on the hair dryer. Slap a sticker on it. No more husband mistakes.

Same goes with umbrellas. If you provide umbrellas at all, then guests will most likely assume it is there for their use. Just put a price tag on any missing umbrellas and add to your house rules. If a guest left it somewhere accidentally…it should be no biggie for them to agree to replace it. I would glady agree and apologize unless umbrellas in India are $100 or so.

1 Like

Sure, those are all good points. I’m adding something on the listing description now. I’ll also add stuff about suitable clothing/footwear to the guest guide. I don’t think that needs to go in the listing description.

How does the following look? This replaces my original description of the bathroom.

Note that this room does not have an en suite bathroom. There are one full bathroom (sink + toilet + shower stall) close by, which is reserved solely for guest use. This is accessible via the garden. Note that this involves crossing an space that is open to the sky. If it is raining, you will get wet without suitable protection. It normally only rains here during the monsoons (rainy season). Umbrellas are provided during the monsoons.

Also, in the guest access section, I wrote:

• The full bathroom accessible via the garden. Note that this involves crossing an open area. Umbrellas are provided during monsoon season.

Sounds like a plan. Now to find a label that doesn’t peel off almost immediately. :slight_smile:

I bought two yesterday. They were approximately Rs 400 each (I forgot to get a bill). Around USD 6. Ok, I’ve added the following to the house rules:

Umbrellas will be provided during the monsoons. Missing/lost umbrellas will be charged at Rs 500 per umbrella.

If you think my additions suck, please say so. Corrections/improvements appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @konacoconutz

I make some changes to my listing, now explicitly mentioning the “being on rained on when going to the bathroom” issue. Let me know what you think, if you like. If you think it sucks, don’t hesitate to say so. And please feel free to suggest corrections and improvements. Though I’m not sure I would make guests confirm before booking. No need to rub their noses in it.

Ok, I’ve mentioned that the shower is not enclosed. The relevant portion of the description now says:

Additionally, there is a shower room (containing a sink + shower) again reserved solely for guest use, and a toilet (containing a sink + toilet), which is shared. Both the shower room and toilet are accessible from the kitchen area. Note additionally that the shower in the shower room is not enclosed - this is quite common in India.

I’m not sure about suggesting shower shoes. Those are normally used if you are at risk at picking up infections from other people using the shower. And nobody else uses the shower. And I don’t want to give people a reason to worry.

Based on your descriptions, I think Hawaii may not be that unlike India. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestions!

I solved the umbrella issue by buying the ginormous ones at Home Depot for $4.97. This also helped my son not to misplace the umbrellas I bought him for college. It’s really hard to lose–or steal–a ginormous umbrella. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No I mean guests can buy their own in a nearby market! Or bring a pair of what we call rubber slippers in Hawaii.

I think playing up all the cool things that would make stays at the house more like an adventure in India would be great. A passage to India is one of my favorite books. So funny and well written. :smile:

Oh, by shower shoes do you mean something that people can wear in the rain, like rubber sandals? I thought you mean something you would wear in a public shower, to protect against infection.

I’m not sure most Westerners would consider having to go for a walk in the rain to get to the bathroom a perk. But I guess I’ll find out.

Yes, in your case it is a perk, it is a part of the complete “authentic” package you offer.
Trust me, your pictures are showing many more issues, that the average western guest would avoid, and if they choose your home despite of these, a walk in the rain would just complete the whole experience.

And I do really like your place, it has a lot of charm, but it would not be every Westeners “cup of tea”.

Thanks, that makes me feel all warm inside.