Getting rained on when going to the bathroom

Well, it’s unpredictable, but it does happen. In the case of the monsoon, it pretty much needs to happen, because everyone depends on it. Way too much, in my opinion. And I figure I need to mention something, because people might complain that I didn’t.

Probably not the norm. Most places here don’t have balcony gardens, and if they do, they don’t have bathrooms in them. As I have mentioned elsewhere, this bathroom was an improvised, temporary structure built for my father when he could not navigate the regular bathroom. It has a ramp.

My two cents. If it was me visiting as a guest, I would appreciate having the “dry” option offered to me DURING a rainstorm, but probably wouldn’t care if I had to use an umbrella to get to the garden bathroom (although I guess it would depend on how hard the wind was blowing). To avoid having personal items left behind, just make sure guests know that their primary bathroom is still the one in the garden.

Oh when meeting guests I certainly would, but a tricky thing to cover before they arrive. Here in Belize we have two ‘rainy seasons’, and they are unpredictable somewhat as to when they do begin for the year. I allude to that reality in my General Information, but leave the micro instructions when they actually arrive according to what the weather is that day, or days.

I think as long as before guest arrives you go over what to expect during monsoon season, and how you provide umbrellas, etc. then there will be no need to mention the bathroom situation before arrival. Just suggest whatever you would normally suggest them to bring - water proof shoes, etc. Then you have already planted the seeds in their head.

During the tour you will show them the extra bathroom anyway, so I agree no need for photos. I know if I just need to go pee in the middle of the night - I will be using the bathroom by the kitchen.

I see what you mean about someone having all of the personal items in the garden bathroom, and then wanting to use the kitchen bathroom because it is pouring rain. BTW - how long are these downpours? - Hours, days, minutes at a time? I think if you provide the toiletries in both bathrooms then it will be fine. I would add a makeup mirror in the bedroom, and set it on the desk, or some other kind of mirror (probably full length) - that way it will encourage females to just leave all the makeup in the room, and finish getting ready there. Do you have hair dryers in both bathrooms? If not, I would put one in each bathroom.

We have the same situation here. The guests have to go out of the loft, down the stairs, over to the next building and in to the bath room. We got complains about this in the beginning (guests not reading the listing). But now we make the situation clear both with text and pictures. I also ask every single guest to confirm that they are aware about the bath room situation before booking. We have instant book, and also there, in the automatic answer, we explain that you can get wet when going to the bath room. In the loft we provide two nice and big umbrellas for the guests. Since we have been doing all this there haven’t been any complains anymore.

1 Like

Wow, what an interesting set-up. Not to be indelicate but I guess one really has to know the timing of one’s body signals to the pee…er, ‘t’.

It was normal with toalets outside the house many places in Norway until the fifties. Today still many Norwegians have a cabin with this. No big deal!

1 Like

The “dry” option being going around (not through the garden) to the garden bathroom, or using the bathroom by the kitchen?

Good point. It’s best to avoid going into detail about this sort of thing. If you talk about it to much, they might start to wonder why you are making such a big deal about it, or otherwise respond negatively.

Hi @cabinhost,

I’ll provide umbrellas for going to the bathroom (does this sentence seem odd to anyone else?). But if they are going out into the big wide scary world, they’d better get their own umbrella. If I give them one, I’ll probably never see it again. Umbrellas are remarkably easy things to mislay.

I haven’t said a word about waterproof shoes or the monsoon to any guests. Should I mention it in my guest guide?

The bathroom in the garden is close and easy to get to. Provided it isn’t raining, of course. It’s about as close as the one by the kitchen.

If it really gets going here it can easily rain for hours at a time. I don’t know about days - I’ve never really measured the time duration. But monsoon rains can be really really heavy, and can also be accompanied by strong rain. What I’ve seen of rain in other places is very different; a much calmer, quieter affair.

Unfortunately the bathroom by the kitchen doesn’t really have a good place to put toiletries. It’s two halves not really making a whole. :frowning: The shower room is literally just a room with a shower - the shower isn’t closed off. This is typical of a certain kind of Indian bathroom. So (a) the spray will fly everywhere when taking a shower and (b) really no good place to put stuff. And the toilet is just a toilet.

Having said that, both the shower room and the toilet have soap dispenser, and it might be possible to add a cabinet to store stuff in the shower room. I’ll think about it.

The wardrobe has a mirror on the inside of the left hand door, I think. I’m not sure it is suitable for such use. The outside seems like a more natural place, but I cannot remember why it was not put there. But are you talking about a small hand-held mirror, perhaps? I’m not a girl, and I’ve never applied makeup in my life, so I have no idea what one would use.

No, I have one in the guest room. I haven’t noticed anyone using it yet. Actually, neither bathroom really has a good place to put a hairdryer. They’re both quite small.

I think it’s important to only offer the “dry” option that works best for YOU - is there one?

Hmm. Using the bathroom by the kitchen would certainly be preferable from our pov, but the guests might not think so. Going around would be awkward for everyone, i think.

Interesting, someone in the same boat! So to speak. Though it sounds like the bathroom in my case is closer. Could you provide me with a link to your listing? I’d like to see how you handle it. Thanks.

Yes, I was referring to the makeup mirror that is on a little stand. Some people use the ones that are adjustable and screw into the wall. If the mirror in the wardrobe is not suitable for guests getting ready, I would set up a mirror somewhere in the room where it is close for a guest to blow dry their hair and they can easily put on their makeup.

As far as mentioning monsoon season and rain gear in the guest guide…I would probably just email the guests who likely will be affected, and give them your suggestions. BUT if people in your area typically wear the same clothes/shoes during monsoon season…then I guess no need to really say anything. From the description of monsoons…I am picturing people sloshing around with soaking wet shoes. What will the Americans do with their brand new white tennis shoes and socks being soaking wet? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here is my listing: https://www.airbnb.no/rooms/616679

1 Like

Thanks @Susanne,

Wow, that’s so idyllic.

Typo:

But we can prepare a “breakfast basket” for selv catering

That should be “self”.

Thank you! English spelling has never been my thing…

@faheem

I have been looking at the pictures again, and I really wouldn’t worry.

When a guest books your place, they do it for the whole package, the crammed linving/dining room, the paint bladdering kitchen walls, and going to the bathroom with the umbrella.

They will have a story to tell when they are back home. :slight_smile:

If I would ever go to Mumbai, I would love to stay in a place like this. (My wife would go nuts though).

PS: I would be one of those guests that would try to move the wardrobe, to find out what secret passage lies behind that tiled door.

1 Like

Mearns don’t you discuss seasonal weather? Tropical locales do have seasonal weather, and I am astounded that some guests are surprised by it! These guests are genuinely surprised that Hawaii has more rain in the summer. However, this is a phenomenon of Hawaii Island. We tend to have more rain in the summer, adding to the humidity and mugginess. Last summer was the worst ever and dengue got a foothold. This summer is shaping up to be wet but not so hot (yet). Don’t know why as we don’t have an El Niño this time.

It’s not just me to die in the summer. All the vacation rentals here, nearly without exception, die a sad, slow death beginning mid May.

You know, everyone talks about the weather and no one does a thing about it.