Furniture question: chest of drawers?

Hello! I’ve been following this site as I get my previously long-term rental house set up for STR here in San Antonio.

I’m wondering if having a traditional chest of drawers in each bedroom is necessary? Could I use a short, empty bookshelf instead?

Some background: it’s a 100 year old SFH in a downtown neighborhood. 2 bedrooms/1 bathroom. Small closet in each room.

I envision our guests being families here for pleasure/travel or business professionals for conventions.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Hi there! We went back and forth on the chest of drawers, and have only had it used by guests 1 time. We decided to get furniture that luggage could be put on, as most never unpack their bags. Storage benches and luggage racks that fold up and can be put in closets would be my suggestion.

3 Likes

IMHO most travelers are living out of suitcases and won’t bother to unpack into your dresser(s), even if they’re staying for a couple weeks. To me as a traveler, a baggage stand or two is more important than a dresser.

2 Likes

My guest room is too small to fit a chest of drawers into. Guests have a closet with a shelf for their clothes and no guest has ever mentioned a need or suggestion for anything more. My max booking window is 2 weeks.

If you are keeping bookings to short term, i.e. less than a month, I don’t think guests require or care about a chest of drawers. Especially if it would make the room feel too full of furniture and cramp the space to move around easily.

I have a whole house rental and only the master bedroom has a chest of drawers. The other two bedrooms have a console table that has two drawers and two shelves but I also have luggage racks.

Welcome! I agree with the comments about luggage racks and I like open shelves or baskets. I find that fewer things get left behind with those options versus drawers. That said, there are a couple of drawers in each room, one on an end table, and some in a desk. They are rarely used.

1 Like

Thanks for all your responses so far. Y’all are confirming what I was thinking but it feels so untraditional to skip the drawers.

I’m actually a person that uses them but, in my family, I’m in the minority!

1 Like

we have a 2 bedroom cottage and the previous LTR tenant installed large ikea wardrobes which are not at all in the style of the house. I finally took them out recently and bought these instead:

We mostly get 1-2 nights (except for school hols) so people don’t need to unpack, but they still might want to hang up a few things. The previous wardrobes were so large and it was tedious on turnover to open every drawer to check nothing was left behind - which it wasn’t cos guests didn’t use the wardrobes. We have another spot where we can store all the spare pillows and blankets so I’ve moved those out (with summer coming it’s not a big deal).

2 Likes

Based upon the way I travel for short stays:
Luggage racks,
Place for hanging clothes
Bedside tables with drawers
Are what I would need

However
Because my off season rental are 30-180 night snowbirds or people relocating, I have all mentioned above & dresser & chest of drawers.

If I didn’t host longer stays, I would not have as much furniture.

3 Likes

Another consideration in the amount of clothing storage to provide, aside from average stay length and available space in the bedroom, might be climate.

I live in the tropics, and while it can get chilly at night for a couple months in the winter, most of my guests are travelling light- their clothing primarily consists of a bathing suit, shorts, tee shirts and tank tops, light summer frocks for the gals. Flipflops or sandals and maybe a pair of runners. They aren’t travelling with bulky sweaters and hoodies, several pairs of jeans or sweatpants, or winter coats. If they travelled here from a cold climate, their warm clothes probably only consists of whatever outfit they arrived at the airport in and wore on the plane. So they don’t have a lot of clothes to need space for, even if they stay for 2 weeks and want to fully unpack.

1 Like

Another thing about touristy beach towns here in Mexico, is that the same sort of casual attire one would wear during the day is perfectly acceptable in night spots, bars and nice restaurants. The only people you see really dressed up to go out at night are well-off city Mexicans on holiday, the women trying to totteringly navigate the cobblestone streets, construction debris, and ubiquitous holes marked only by a stick with a upturned plastic pop bottle on top, in their spike heels. :rofl:

1 Like

I have a wardrobe with four draws underneath .
So guests can hang up the clothes that need hanging and store smaller items in the draws. @heh1975

I remember being shocked in Italy and France seeing women all dolled up to go to the beach. In Australia we have a vastly different attitude to beach going, and it involves getting your hair wet!

2 Likes

These are all great ideas and considerations - thank you!

I like the idea of a wardrobe with drawers and especially the Ikea open wardrobe. And that would free up the small closets to keep the spare linens.

In my upstairs unit (3/1) I bought dressers, thinking they’d always get used. Maybe two guests have used them. Total waste of my money. So when it came to turning my downstairs unit (also 3/1) into a STR, I went with small desks, and knockoff navy chairs. I know those get used for a lot less money, plus those count as ‘dedicated workspaces.’ Those dressers may end up coming to live at my house.

3 Likes