From host to guest to host -

ok so the white nights are back - the sky goes a bright pink at night and everyone is walking in the streets happy the winter is finally over - its warm here - and people even walk on the roofs - very russian thing to do - but had to get an airbnb (long story) - always interesting anyway to be a guest - …and yes i’m a sucker for design - great flat - very design/modern/arty - however - 11 stairs to climb (no lift/5th floor) - bit dodgy with the lighting on the stairs (esp at night) - no loo paper?..no ironing board - but an iron - electrical sockets coming out of the wall (reminds me of that tree article - v sad) - an arty playboy book - humm no thank you (and i like art)…anyway always interesting to be a guest too - reminds you of what you need to do - and not do - for me the playboy book is a no - and not telling people its 11 flights of stairs (No lift) is a no too - oh and there is no tv…or washing machine - now i love design and im still hiring that designer - but i want substance too (and look paper ))))…i guess the issue for me is how much disclosure do u put - safety - and maybe i need to check if there is a tv/washing mashing icon on airbnb - but always great to be a guest - recommend it!

Yes when you book it’s always useful
To look for amenities you need and also read rules. 11 floors without elevator? How is it even possible ?
But if that’s the case that should be disclosed for sure . What if Uts elderly person or a person who is disabled but with some restrictions .

1 Like

I absolutely agree! I wish every host had to be a guest in order to host. I know that’s impossible to require but still… I also love to read other listings, and rules and see what seems to work and what doesn’t.

I’m always surprised at the places that seem to get consistently booked even if they have 4 stars for cleanliness, terrible pictures, too many rules, almost no description…I could go on and on. I’ve seen listings that say things like “no fat people allowed!” I would never stay at a place like that.

We give a lot of good advice here but even if it’s ignored you can still be successful.

1 Like

@Yana - It’s 11 stairs, not floors. … :grin: …but that gave me a visual.

i meant flights of stairs ) - its 11 floors basically - well 11 half floors.

1 Like

Oops…my bad. (Sorry, Yana.)

I would have quit at about the second flight.
(And to get up there and discover no toilet (loo) paper?! arrggh!)
…probably as a result of the Playboy book. … :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Hehehehe…probably.
Yeah I figured it was floors not stairs. 11 stairs I wouldn’t mention either . But not to mention 11 flights its ridiculous. Airbnb could have cancelled only based on tht

1 Like

11 floors and they forgot to mention it? :rofl::rofl:

definitely dont forget them going up each time (((…but then the whole issue of finding a new airbnb, ring left right center…i’m just hoping i loose weight )

1 Like

Was this in SP also?

yes…many 19century building with no lifts…already counting the days to go home (((…

I would definitely disclose 5th floor without elevator in listing, because I know it can be issue for many people. Even though, I’m used to walk to the stairs for whole my life.

Most buildings in my country didn’t originally have an elevator (200 - 50 years old), but they are adding them in many residential buildings in the recent 20 years. My sister lived in 5th floor without elevator until 8th month of her pregnancy and yes, she was in very good physical condition during her pregnancy :smiley:. Most of the other residents were elderly people and they also didn’t mind.
I also remember my university times, where our department was in 4th floor, dormitory had 5 floors and it was on the hill, so additional 200 stairs between university and dormitory. It was good exercise just to walk to school and back. During the year I din’t feel exceptional, but I for sure felt the difference after the summer :D.

So it really depends on what you are used to. Right now, I live in 3rd floor, we have elevator but I use it only occasionally, if I’m really tired after long day or I have heavy groceries. Elevator just takes too long. Most guests are also using stairs rather than wait for elevator.

Your guests would be happy climbing the stairs to the top of St Isaac Cathedral without grumbling.

I’m also in SpB - Floor four and no lift.
I think people who have real issues with stairs write at the enquiry stage to discuss.

At arrival, it’s prudent to go all out and make arrangements to give guests a hand with baggage - after that they probably wouldn’t notice the stairs. Stick a photo of the stairs in your listing and point out not suitable for infirm visitors.

oh its not mine im just saying here - i would never have booked it i had known of the situation - if it was mine i wouldnt have bought it. the flats i have have lifts in one and the others are 2-3 floor walk ups with easy stairs - i think its important for guests - and for you later when u get older )

It’s great to be an Airbnb guest and to stay at your own home as if you were a guest. You’ll discover many, many things.

If it were me, every Host would be required to spend time every year as a Guest somewhere other than where they live. We should also be required to spend 3-5 days in our own listing, without any “assistance”.

Everyone I know would have an issue with 11 flights of stairs. I did 56 one day for a fire drill, wow my calves the next day. And I did 7 (spiral staircase in Paris) for week on Airbnb, fully disclosed. Ouch after a few vinos but next door practically to Notre Dame, what can you do?

To be fair, what has been described is NOT 11 flights of stairs, but 11 half flights, for a total of five floors. I assume that this building’s staircase has landings, and they are counting the half flights.

A five floor walkup should, of course, be mentioned. My experience has been that if “elevator” or “lift” has not been listed as an amenity, the guest should ask. Especially around Europe.

1 Like