Friends who want to stay in your Airbnb for free.....How to be diplomatic in saying no

DC… the business is up and down, and you eventually get to know the seasonal highs and lows. We’re dead in the summer on the Big Island…(sometimes I will get Europeans on holidays in summer) but November through May we are jamming! In the five years I’ve been hosting, I see a distinct pattern! (BTW, if you are getting excessive inquiries, it is time to raise your rates!)

2 Likes

We have dead times in the winter. Summer and fall it’s all happening and certain holidays in the winter, but really it’s totally dead here. I don’t mind a bit of a break - hmm, actually, I’m enjoying the money at the moment, so perhaps I will mind the break.

Really? In Hawaii from November till May? I don’t think in South Florida we have such a long season. I started in March during spring break and was 100% full until Mid April but in May it was already slow the same as the whole summer.

Maybe late November… But yeah it can vary… Sometimes May is busy here. Feel sorry for anyone booking here now, We’ve had the crappiest weather this summer!!! Plus hurricane threats all summer… Check out this rain gauge belonging to my neighbor. Notice the monthly rainfall totals… and it is only Sept 3!

Pretty bad and cold too

1 Like

We are up on a mountain slope which keeps it normally very comfortable. We typically don’t swelter like at the beach. This is the weirdest weather I’ve ever seen in Kona in the summer!

Thanks, Kona, that’s helpful. I’ve learned so much since starting in June - I assume by next October I’ll be ready for the ‘silent season’. Since I’m in DC spring break / cherry blossom season is HUGE!! I homeschool my kids so considering schooling all spring & summer (since I’ll want to be here making $$$) and taking off in October & November when we won’t have guests… Sad thing is the weather is beautiful here in the fall - it’s the best time to come to DC but the world is stuck on the old-fashioned summer’s-off calendar so people flood DC when it’s 90 with 80% humidity…

I know! Crazy that DC! I also find the winters up in where we are (Hudson Valley) to be gorgeous, especially with some snow, and a nice snugly open fire lit to make it all cozy - but people flood the place when it’s stinking hot and humid, and really couldn’t be worse weather wise. Spring and Fall, are truly the only comfortable days temp wise, where you can have some nice cool pleasant sunny days - before the cold sets in too much in fall.

DC… I lived in DC (Northern Virginia, actually, in Vienna) as a kid! Summers were SO HOT!!! Autumn was one of my favorite seasons. I remember going trick or treating and having wear long johns under our costumes… I loved the falling leaves. When I travel I like to go in the off season or in the winter. Prices are lower, crowds are less and the cold is a nice change from Hawaii!

1 Like

Sandy, My ex, who was a travel agent, said that’s called the shoulder season. It’s pretty much the same wherever you travel anywhere in the world… I wonder if people come in summer to the Hudson Valley because that’s when they book holidays off from work?

More people should travel in the spring or fall!

Everybody comes because NYC is hellish in summer and everybody is dying to escape. You have to. It’s humid stinking subway exhalations, and sweltering buildings and oven hot concrete. It’s tres uncool to spend your summers in NYC. Then, people like to escape the winters too, haha. Yes, only the shoulder sessions are good here!

I thought they went to the Hamptons! :slight_smile:

Not anymore my dear, not anymore :stuck_out_tongue: My town is all up with the cool Brooklynites and Manhattanites, many are moving here even (but occasionally we get some older customers that like the area too).

1 Like

Sandy, this is how I envision your house to look. :slight_smile: Snowy and quaint

Well done, quite similar, right down to the turret. Minus the horses (although we have these cool long cast iron horse heads on our street with rings on to hitch too, and even granite steps to get down from your buggy! Our home is fully granite all on the first floor, and then painted cedar shingle on the turret, and clapboard from there up. The basement is also fully finished with walk in garden level outside door. My husband has his studio there.

So gorgeous!! I really hope things improve now that you have added a deposit and rules! I think you will feel much much better.

If I were a guest at your place I would be so incredibly appreciative and honored that you shared your beautiful vintage home with a stranger!

1 Like

And I can assure you I would be thrilled to enjoy your gorgeous views and nearby beaches (and definitely the snorkeling gear because I LOVE snorkeling). Your area sounds heavenly and I have imagined living in your neck of the woods after a few of your descriptions. I also think you downplay your offerings sometimes because you think it’s not ‘luxurious’ like a resort. it sounds and looks really lovely to me.

2 Likes

Thank you!! It is sometimes hard to compete because I am out in the country and I don’t have anything in the way of fanciness to offer. You might be able to find a condo or another Air rental at my price point that’s fancier and still near the beach and with snorkel gear… so, as with anything there is a lot of competition!

I am in a cooler part of the island away from the tourist throngs and the heat of town.
But also, our location is about 1/2 hour from restaurants and stores. And about 45 mins. from the main town.

1 Like

Sounds idyllic! Truly.

1 Like

Waiting for guests as we speak. Sigh.
Just told my son… There are hardly any ways to make a living that aren’t a little bit of a PITA, this being one of them.