FREEDOM - Any suggestions

For me personally, I choose to host. I enjoy it and with the added income, it’s a bonus. I would never choose this if it stressed me out. I’m not saying I’m exempt of having a bad guest but I have declined several based on my intuition. I have accepted skeptical ones that turned out to be wonderful guests and they returned a year later because we had such a great bond. If I thought hosting was stressful but I needed the income, I’d choose to find a job that made more money to support me financially. I’m sorry to those who have bad experiences and I hope you don’t give up on hosting. It’s a life experience for us. So far a good one. Please stay hopeful

1 Like

Just a note on how the forum works, you replied to @jaquo. She’s not disenchanted with hosting. To reply to the OP hit the blue reply button at the bottom of the thread or tag them using @

3 Likes

@yecatsr @Annet3176
Omg, I’m dying over this! Completely makes sense now why my remotes die so damned fast! Hahahaha

2 Likes

SAME! I just found out this weekend that our “emergency” bag of brand new AA batteries (for remotes, flashlight, etc) all are mysteriously dead along with the remotes… someone had a fun long weekend :rofl:

4 Likes

I got a new Samsung TV in my part of the house that has a remote with a built in battery that charges off light. More remotes like that would be nice.

4 Likes

I had a terrible experience w/Air not backing me nor paying anything toward the cleaning fee after a 3-day booking left tons of candle wax all over the inside of the house as well as the patio and garage. I was done w/them after that, but still stay on here for ideas. I book my home exclusively with Vrbo and have WONDERFUL experiences w/them. The one bad encounter I did have w/a guest , Vrbo took my side and didn’t refund one penny to the guests. They’re ALL about the owners, as opposed to Air who is ALL about the guests. Give them a try!

2 Likes

Your candles? Or did the guests bring in candles?

1 Like

They brought them in.

Hey Sarah1
Sorry to hear of your struggles.
I get it completely: fighting with AirBnB now about a guest who left a bad review, and they are investigating ME. They froze my account and won’t let me address the review.
I believe that AirBnB is way too biased towards guests - I won’t work with anyone who throws me under the bus for their own priorities.
I have been with VRBO a few years now, and am MUCH happier with their support.
Dre

4 Likes

Yep, Airbnb blocked my accounts once before, and deleted emails so I couldnt use them against the guest, and and and. So I have always kept seperate records, and clear out my account immediately. Thank you for your kind words. In this latest fiasco, they lied to my co host, and threatened her also. I am DONE. Funnily she and I were both working last night on my VRBO listing, and we agreed that Airbnb have moved slightly towards the host a little more. She thinks it is because they lost so many hosts due to COVID. Their system is good - but I would rather eat dirt than go back to them. I had shocking reviews - a couple of them, and they wouldnt deal with those either. My cohost has another property, and she has a problem with them now - where she has evidence of the guest lying and breaking things and demanding a two week refund (on the last day) . And Air are still doing nothing about a shocking review. Done done done.

1 Like

This is me. Except that our flat is 1060’ sq total and the AirBnb bedroom is right next to ours. Old house, great insulation help.

The room has a tiny 1/2 bath, but we share a shower- which requires guests to walk through the common area & the kitchen. Our ability to appear & disappear around guests has earned us many positive reviews.

We built 2 LTRS downstairs and an in-law unit in back (all with private bathrooms of course! :wink: ) So, at any given time there are 7 of us on site. Sitting in the garden, sunning on the patio, doing laundry in the outdoor laundry room. Sounds like a squat, right? City living in the California Bay Area!

In addition, my neighbors are close enough that we speak daily - can’t avoid one another. Fortunately, it’s a friendly, cooperative block and so quiet we can sleep with our windows open.

The rentals were a gradual progression over 12 years; my partner and I are retired from teaching and love having people around. A high demand for rentals like ours has allowed us to attract (mostly young, professional) tenants who are happy to abide by rules for privacy, conserving resources, consideration & quiet that work for everyone.

AirBnb was the final component and occurred because of a completely unused office/guest room that’s really the sweetest room in the house. Oakland/Berkeley- not tourist areas, offer very few safe, clean hotel rooms under $200 per night. Most of my guests are priced out of San Francisco and I am a 5-minute walk from our metro -20 minutes to SF.

1 1/2 years (no hosting for COVID) and 122 bookings later we have not had a SINGLE unpleasant guest. No theft, no stained sheets or makeup on towels, no damage, no one noisy or inconsiderate, etc.

4.98 overall rating, and the few 4-star reviews were deserved. Same “luck” with the STR’s.

My point, other than tooting my own horn and writing an unreadably long post (if you’ve gotten this far, bless you for for your indulgence- and I promise not to do it again :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Of course living on site would make a BIG difference in guest behavior. They’re staying at “grandma’s”!

Vetting is also crucial, I feel. IB wouldn’t work for me. A few clear, enforceable rules is essential and it really helps if you develop a talent for making “no” into a considerate response! Flexibility, patience and a sense of humor are stress deflater, I find.

As in teaching, if you love it the bumps don’t feel quite as bad :heart:

Thanks for listening :peace_symbol:

7 Likes

Sounds like the kind of Airbnb I’d like to stay in.

4 Likes

The answer in many cases @Jacquo I believe is that they don’t vet their guests carefully to ensure there’s a good fit.

I have had two problem guests in nearly six years of hosting . My first and two young princesses I accepted against my better judgment who didn’t like my location.

2 Likes

I agree! If you are getting tons of five stars and then it drops to a one—— co host issue!

I grew up in the East Bay, so I can easily imagine your situation. Such a wonderful place to live! We are of a certain age as well and share our home. Yep, you don’t mess with “Grandma” and she knows how to make guests welcome. Vetting is vital, rules are essential, and polite boundaries work for everyone’s comfort. Flexibility for sure, resourceful definitely, patience, a sense of humor and totally loving this hospitality thing - absolutely. As a retired teacher you are perfect for this. Thanks for speaking up, you are totally
on target!